Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Size and NJ SuperCharger rates for New Model 3 Range Plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my new Model 3 Standard Range Plus about a week ago. I was expecting battery size specs (in KWH) to be listed in the manual but unless I missed the obvious, I couldn't find it. Upon searching online, I was surprised that I still couldn't find an exact number (55 kwh?, 54 kwh?, 50 kwh?). People have posted about their guestimate etc. but nothing that says for sure what size battery the car comes with. Can someone please educate me or point me to the right place? This should be so obvious for a car that has battery as a key component and I am at a loss that I am missing the obvious.

One other question, I couldn't find information from Tesla about which states are charged by minute for Supercharging. I am in NJ and I "think" based on other posts from past that NJ superchargers rates are by minute (0.13 or 0.26) but no easy way to confirm what is the current situation (per minute or per kwh cost) for NJ. How about listing of which states charge how? Does anyone know?
Thanks in advance,

You won't likely find a satisfactory answer to your battery capacity question. I'll rephrase what I said in this post. The battery sizes are not definitive. To figure out their capacities we need to resolve the discrepancies between what's been measured by owners from the screen, what's been measured independently on a test bench, what Tesla states internally and what is documented in the EPA applications. The results don't match and the trends are inconsistent between the different battery sizes.

Some SR+ owners have shown about 52.5kWh available between 0-100% indicated SoC. Scaling down the LR bench tests would put that number below 50kWh.

Reactions: pete_shaw
Thanks, Zoomit. ...And that's the point I am making. You did a good analysis to arrive at some numbers but shouldn't Tesla be publishing it as part of the specs? Why should anyone have to analyze the data and draw individual conclusions on this?
That's a different question. They don't have to publish anything. They provided data to the EPA but the on-screen indications are very nuanced. Technically, Tesla lists them as 50 and 74kWh in internal documentation. Here's a great example: Tesla's 85 kWh rating needs an asterisk (up to 81 kWh, with up to ~77 kWh usable)

Other manufacturers provide various levels of battery specs. Some provide total capacity, some usable, some both. GM advertises the Bolt EV as 60kWh but the sticker on the pack has a 57kWh rating. Under what conditions (c-rate, temp) it was "rated" is unknown. Some provide a "usable" capacity but it's unknown if that includes a usable buffer below 0 mi. The battery capacity used is different when driving from 100 to 0% indicated SoC verses 100% to dead battery.

I got my new Model 3 Standard Range Plus about a week ago. I was expecting battery size specs (in KWH) to be listed in the manual but unless I missed the obvious, I couldn't find it. Upon searching online, I was surprised that I still couldn't find an exact number (55 kwh?, 54 kwh?, 50 kwh?). People have posted about their guestimate etc. but nothing that says for sure what size battery the car comes with. Can someone please educate me or point me to the right place? This should be so obvious for a car that has battery as a key component and I am at a loss that I am missing the obvious.

One other question, I couldn't find information from Tesla about which states are charged by minute for Supercharging. I am in NJ and I "think" based on other posts from past that NJ superchargers rates are by minute (0.13 or 0.26) but no easy way to confirm what is the current situation (per minute or per kwh cost) for NJ. How about listing of which states charge how? Does anyone know?
Thanks in advance,[/QUOTE

On your question about paying for charging, you are correct that in NJ it is by the minute. State law does not allow a non utility to sell power by the KwH.

You've got to get over Range Anxiety and the ONLY way to do it is to drive the car.

EXACTLY right. I’m a month in and that’s exactly the antidote. It’s of zero concern whatsoever. Just drive and enjoy!

I can’t believe how much I’m driving now - looking for excuses to drive the car. :)

Now all that said ... in NJ we pay per minute. Battery capacity - my opinion - doesn’t matter. With system reserves and various SoC’s and such - it’s not a cut and dry capacity like gallons in a tank. It’s just a little fuzzy and so the kWh rating is somewhat immaterial.

I wonder if there are threads on ICE forums of tank capacity where people are analyzing the volume of gas depending on the temperature.

At least when we pay for a kWh we are getting the same kWh ... no such thing as a "cold" or "warm" kWh :D

For everyone saying "drive and enjoy", read my sig. While you are not driving, some people enjoy calculating.

I wonder if there are threads on ICE forums of tank capacity where people are analyzing the volume of gas depending on the temperature.

At least when we pay for a kWh we are getting the same kWh ... no such thing as a "cold" or "warm" kWh :D

For everyone saying "drive and enjoy", read my sig. While you are not driving, some people enjoy calculating.

Absolutely there are. Those threads come up every summer. :)

I can’t see your sig on the mobile site unfortunately. Doing my best to stay away from my Mac during the holiday weekend! :)

My sig:

2019 Model 3 SR+ | Black | Aero

Preemptive Disclaimer: Before you tell me to “not worry about ‘it’ and just enjoy the car”, I enjoy the car while I’m driving it. I enjoy calculating things and posting about it when I’m not ;)

Stop worrying about the dang battery and drive the car!
If you were driving the car and turned on the Superchargers on the screen and selected one, you would see what they charge.

You've got to get over Range Anxiety and the ONLY way to do it is to drive the car.
Asking for specs is for awareness and not worrying. Yes, range anxiety may kick in for longer trips but I am not there yet. I agree with the fact about enjoying the cool driving experience but that doesn't mean shut off all other angles.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
EXACTLY right. I’m a month in and that’s exactly the antidote. It’s of zero concern whatsoever. Just drive and enjoy!

I can’t believe how much I’m driving now - looking for excuses to drive the car. :)

Now all that said ... in NJ we pay per minute. Battery capacity - my opinion - doesn’t matter. With system reserves and various SoC’s and such - it’s not a cut and dry capacity like gallons in a tank. It’s just a little fuzzy and so the kWh rating is somewhat immaterial.
Thanks for confirming that we pay per minute of supercharging in NJ. Wouldn't it be nice if Tesla listed these states on their supercharging webpage?

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
Thanks for confirming that we pay per minute of supercharging in NJ. Wouldn't it be nice if Tesla listed these states on their supercharging webpage?

Yes! The rates should be a lot more transparent.

That said ... I’ve only supercharged once in state - before I got my Wall Connector installed. Since then, haven’t had a need anywhere near home.

Reactions: pete_shaw
Thanks, Zoomit. ...And that's the point I am making. You did a good analysis to arrive at some numbers but shouldn't Tesla be publishing it as part of the specs? Why should anyone have to analyze the data and draw individual conclusions on this?
I know that your question isn't about range anxiety as @ewoodrick was accusing you of, but there is good reason why Tesla is trying to get away from prominently displaying exact numbers as much. People flip out and lose their everlovin' minds if Tesla gives an exact number for something, and then people try to measure it for themselves, and it doesn't match down to the .000000001. I am not kidding, that I have seen a forum thread where someone had seen that the published range of the car was "supposed" to be 310 rated miles, and because this person saw that it charged to only 309 miles, he was worried and was calling Tesla service center to schedule an appointment to find out why his battery was going bad. Don't be that guy. And Tesla, by switching to more general terms like "long range" and "short range" is trying to help you not be that guy.

There is going to be some variation and inexactness to these measurements, so they don't want to constantly be inundated with these kinds of time wasting calls because someone sees half a kilowatt hour less than whatever the published number says.

No, they don't anymore. I did the same thing you were doing and went to that same page, so I could post a link to it with some snarky comment, but I discovered that that page, which used to have it, no longer has a listing of which states do it which way. It just has prices for the per kWh style or for the per minute style, but it does not say which states are which.

What the heck? I corrected the misinformation and got marked with a disagree. Enlighten us, please @jaguar36 . If you think that page shows a listing of which states charge by the kWh and which ones by the minute, then please copy and paste the list from that page, or point to where on that page it is shown.

Reactions: darth_vad3r