Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC EV rebate to run out of money soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Knowing Tesla, they will apply right away, but your refund from them will probably take some time.

Still great news for all of you guys on the west coast. Tesla had to sue Ontario govt when they tried to pull shenanigans, and even then the AWD which should have made it to the approved list never ended up qualifying for the rebate. That 14k loss hurt, but the smile the car puts on my face dulls the pain :)

Nice to see at least the govt there did what was 'right' without too much outcry.

I am very happy to hear that all of you who got burned based on existing reservations should be taken care of. Nobody likes being slapped like that on what should otherwise be such an exciting day.

Odd for them to say they "learned from the government"...Tesla clearly doesn't know what the rules are. Just like when they were only charging 12% tax (instead of 13%) in the beginning of May. If they reserved the funds before the announcement date, those buyers should be fine...but Tesla offers no visibility as to what their internal procedures are, so you have to rely on them to tell you what they've done and can do.

Can you elaborate on the tax thing? what happened to the people who got cars at the wrong rate?

mine showed 12% on two different versions of the MVPA, i even phoned them to confirm as i had to get a bank draft before i head out of town. day of pick got another mvpa with the 13%, was not a happy camper but not much you can do about it, cost another $600! Picked mine up on May 31st

I was just at Tesla Vancouver, but it seems that they have no idea on how to deal with.

At first, they ask me to check with CEVforBC, but after I showed him that they specifically said to get in touch with the dealer, they gave me an email address to contact.

Sigh... to make the matter worse, I’d be out of town from tomorrow for work. And if they can’t get a solution today, I’d be in a very crappy position as I won’t be back for a few weeks and even though wife will be in town, I don’t think she can do anything as the car is not under her name.

Got an email from Tesla yesterday.

"Tesla and government officials have agreed that CEV for BC will provide the balance owed for eligible Tesla customers to Tesla, at which point Tesla will transfer that balance owed to the customer. If your case is approved by CEV for BC, you can expect to receive a cheque within 8-12 weeks. Please note that this timeline is largely dependent on how quickly the CEV for BC can process applications and transfer any funds owed to Tesla. Once we receive your incentive funds from CEV for BC, we expect to be able to disburse them in a short period of time."

Yay?? I guess... :D

I got the above email too.
Weird they say "if your case is approved"... it should be pretty easy to look at the deposit date. So now we wait over two months, by which point the 15 day period to claim the correct rebate will have expired. I don't really like the uncertainty of this... but at least they recognize the situation and are doing something.

I am not affected by this but just saw this on cevforbc and thought it might help one of you:

• Q: My customer who reserved their vehicle before June 22, 2019, has received a lower-than-supposed-to-be incentive. How can this be amended?
  • A: You must:
  1. Contact your customer and issue them a payment of the remainder of the incentive.
  2. Have the customer sign the updated Letter of Received Rebate with the appropriate incentive amount. This can also be done through an email (contact the CEVforBC Team for more information).
  3. Please note that the CEVforBC will not send funds in advance to the dealers of the "affected customers". This may mean that customers may have to go into their dealer to receive the remainder of the incentive at the same time that the customer provides the dealer with the updated Letter of Received Rebate required for CEVforBC to reimburse the dealer.
This is towards on the end on this page: FAQ Regarding the Changes Effective June 22, 2019 | Clean Energy Vehicles for British Columbia | New Car Dealers of BC

Reactions: martes and hohohong
For anyone still following this, CEVforBC program confirms Tesla's instructions for anyone affected by the rollback are incorrect. They say Tesla needs to provide us with new documents to sign and without that we will not get the $2000 difference. Tesla has not provided this and will not respond to requests about it.

I sent an email to Oscar ([email protected]) on Jul 19th and haven't heard back on the reimbursement of the $2,000. Any one went to the store recently to find out timeline on reimbursement?

I've sent a few emails and also phone calls where I was told I'd get a call back; not one response. Next step will be visiting in person, I am just waiting on a written letter from CEVforBC; they promised to write this letter for me yesterday after confirming my application was approved for the full rebate but they can't release the $2000 without Tesla taking the next step with new papers.

I've sent a few emails and also phone calls where I was told I'd get a call back; not one response. Next step will be visiting in person, I am just waiting on a written letter from CEVforBC; they promised to write this letter for me yesterday after confirming my application was approved for the full rebate but they can't release the $2000 without Tesla taking the next step with new papers.

Please keep us updated. I am going to hold off doing anything to prevent overloading at Tesla/CEVforBC.

I’d think we need to sign new paperwork as well. Given that the paper we signed during those two days indicated an incentive of 3k, they would need proper paperwork to correct that to 5k and get the money from CEV, which of course would require signatures from us. Now, if they have been able to secure 5k from the government with those papers indicating 3k, then that would be beyond my comprehension. Either way, the current process doesn’t make much sense.

I forgot to update here, but I did speak finally someone who knows what's going on. A new instruction email will be sent out to us soon, we'll need to go and sign new papers as per CEVforBC instructions.

So they seem aware of the conflict in their original email and they're taking steps to get us reimbursed. I still find the lack of communication sort of concerning but I'll give them a week or two before pressing them again. The gentleman I spoke with seemed just as frustrated as I was with the situation and was quite nice to deal with. I will update if I hear anything further or if I have the need to follow up more, if the email doesn't get sent out.

Reactions: imnumber12