Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Begin Charge without My Phone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

spokey

Aug 8, 2020
Flagtown
Is there any setting that lets me start charging when the phone is not near by. For example, today I did not plug in when I came home because I was going to bring in the trash can and would plug in then.

Of course I did not have the phone with me as I grabbed the connector (I use the gen2 mobile for charging), pressed the button, then cursed as nothing happened. Went back inside, put my phone in my pocket and proceeded to plug in the cable and start charging.

I find this happens to me frequently. I have the car set to be unlocked at home. Is there some similar setting that will also know I'm at home and let me start charging?

I find this happens to me frequently. I have the car set to be unlocked at home. Is there some similar setting that will also know I'm at home and let me start charging?
I think the car just needs to be woken up to let you open the charge port. So even when you didn't have your phone, but the car was at home and unlocked (but asleep), I think you could have just pulled a door open to wake it up, and then it would let you open the charge port to plug in.

Reactions: Electric700
I think the car just needs to be woken up to let you open the charge port. So even when you didn't have your phone, but the car was at home and unlocked (but asleep), I think you could have just pulled a door open to wake it up, and then it would let you open the charge port to plug in.

And may be also put your foot on the brake briefly if pulling open the door doesn't work immediately.

Is there any setting that lets me start charging when the phone is not near by. For example, today I did not plug in when I came home because I was going to bring in the trash can and would plug in then.

Of course I did not have the phone with me as I grabbed the connector (I use the gen2 mobile for charging), pressed the button, then cursed as nothing happened. Went back inside, put my phone in my pocket and proceeded to plug in the cable and start charging.

As long as the car is awake it will start charging automatically .. no need to use phone to start it charging.

I guess I mis-worded it a bit. It's not starting the charge. It's getting the door open and plugging it in. I haven't tried what @Rocky_H suggested but if that works that's what I'm looking for. If I still have trouble, I'll try the brake. All I'm trying to do is avoid going inside to bring out my phone. Scheduled charging is not a problem as I haven't used it yet.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I guess I mis-worded it a bit. It's not starting the charge. It's getting the door open and plugging it in. I haven't tried what @Rocky_H suggested but if that works that's what I'm looking for. If I still have trouble, I'll try the brake. All I'm trying to do is avoid going inside to bring out my phone. Scheduled charging is not a problem as I haven't used it yet.
If you have Apple Watch you can use one of the apps to open the charge port

I have the settings to start charge immediately, max 48 amps, with max 80% charge. I open the rear door to waken the car. Then when I press the button on the charger it opens the charge port adn when I plug it in the screen comes on and states " you have 1 hour and 20 mins left" or something like that.

I used to have scheduled charging but disabled it.

• Helpful
The MY finally went to sleep so I could try it. Yes, just opening something works. I first grabbed the cord and pushed the button. Nothing happened as expected. Popped the trunk (which I needed to do anyway to get the tire pressure gauge out) and then the button worked.

Thanks to all for saving me those awful 40-50 foot journeys every couple days<g>

I have never used the scheduled charge. When it gets down low enough I just plug it in. If you believe the Tesla recommendation to leave it plugged in all the time, I don't see what the point of scheduling a charge would be. I don't leave it plugged but generally charge around 150 miles to go (I'll probably raise that for the winter). Occasionally I go lower in case those who say the BMS likes to see highs and low for calibration are right. But when I do plug it in, I leave it there until I go out again, or the cord annoys me as I try to get the part of the garage that it's blocking.

Last edited:
The MY finally went to sleep so I could try it. Yes, just opening something works. I first grabbed the cord and pushed the button. Nothing happened as expected. Popped the trunk (which I needed to do anyway to get the tire pressure gauge out) and then the button worked.

Thanks to all for saving me those awful 40-50 foot journeys every couple days<g>

I have never used the scheduled charge. When it gets down low enough I just plug it in. If you believe the Tesla recommendation to leave it plugged in all the time, I don't see what the point of scheduling a charge would be. I don't leave it plugged but generally charge around 150 miles to go (I'll probably raise that for the winter). Occasionally I go lower in case those who say the BMS likes to see highs and low for calibration are right. But when I do plug it in, I leave it there until I go out again, or the cord annoys me as I try to get the part of the garage that it's blocking.
Scheduled charging has several benefits. One is for people who have ToU rates. By using scheduled charging to charge during off-peak rates, you can avoid paying higher part-peak and peak rates. Where I live, peak rates are 2.5x as much as off-peak rates. While we have Powerwalls which allow us to pretty much always pay off-peak rates, if we didn't use scheduled charging, our cars would start charging immediately during peak times if we plugged them in at those times. That would drain the Powerwalls and then charging and household use would be charged at peak rates.

Another benefit of scheduled charging is that you can make sure the battery is warmed up when you are ready to leave in the morning. This will help reduce or totally eliminate limited regen on cold weather mornings.

A third benefit might apply if you have multiple EVs. You might not have the capacity to charge them at the same time. If you don't have load-balanced EVSE, you could schedule the vehicles to charge at different times and avoid setting off a circuit breaker.

Scheduled charging has several benefits. One is for people who have ToU rates. By using scheduled charging to charge during off-peak rates, you can avoid paying higher part-peak and peak rates. Where I live, peak rates are 2.5x as much as off-peak rates. While we have Powerwalls which allow us to pretty much always pay off-peak rates, if we didn't use scheduled charging, our cars would start charging immediately during peak times if we plugged them in at those times. That would drain the Powerwalls and then charging and household use would be charged at peak rates.

Another benefit of scheduled charging is that you can make sure the battery is warmed up when you are ready to leave in the morning. This will help reduce or totally eliminate limited regen on cold weather mornings.
hadn't thought about the TOU. We used to have it, but the state let PSE&G dump it. I think there are still some grandfathered customers. So I just have expensive all day every day. Mine varies with the season and is tier priced but currently the low is .175kWh and the high is 18.8.

Not sure about the regen. I'm finding that turning on the HVAC helps a bit. But sometimes I can see the dots getting worse as I'm driving (pretty much local driving) during the colder days. And it's not that cold yet. Balmy 20s this morning. So I'm just adjusting and doing a more gradual slow down where I can anticipate like a traffic light turning far ahead or a stop sign.