Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beginner questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my car, pardon the dumb questions.

1. I thought the homelink was connected to GPS? Drive away it closes the door, come back home, it opens it. Mine doesn't seem to be doing that, it only shows the homelink menu as I get home. Is this an option somewhere?
2. That calendar, what the hell is that good for? I mean why do I want the calendar on my car. I wish those apps up there were customizable (i.e. remove apps, get new apps from appstore etc.)
3. The auto high beam setting, is there any reason not to leave it on auto high beam all the time?
4. Tunein radio - is Tesla supposed to give you a login account for it, or you create one for yourself?
5. Slacker radio - is Tesla supposed to share the password with you?
6. When you are sitting at the supercharger in the middle of the night, is there an easy way to lock the car?
7. Is there a reference manual of all the voice commands the car supports?

Still trying to get used to regen, and the left stalks. I guess it'll take some time before I get used to the car.
I hate reading manuals, but I think in this car I'll have to. Too many hidden gestures etc. Like is there a way to flash high beams?
Is there a way to resume from a stop without tapping the gas pedal? etc.

So far so good, its a pretty sexy car. Its interesting that some of the really sexy features are off by default, like rerouting automatically when traffic can save you 5 min or more etc.

DC, cool, welcome. I'm in NOVA. OK fast partial answers from one of many.

1. no, push the button only.
2. well, you can turn it off, troll the settings. I like mine .
3. sorry not sure what that is. Mine is auto all the time
4. yes. send note to Tesla support email.
5. yes, and I use it often.
6. well sure. press the top of the key one click. Sitting inside otherwise, yeah have to look around for that.
7. hm, the release notes for earlier software speaks to it. Look inside your website my car, scroll down looking for docs.

I love regen but understand. I am proud to be able to do one foot driving and rarely touch the brakes. But you can also reduce region in the settings. I would not, just practice. Problem is you can never drive ICE again.

left stalks, yes.

left stick flashes high beams like other cars, pull vs push.

Don't think resume from stop, but I have old car.

Not totlaly helpful but I hope a little.

1. That would be a cool feature, but as far as I can tell you still have to initialize it yourself.
2. I agree - would love an app store (An ex-tesla engineer who worked on the touchscreen said when he was there they weren't really planning an app store, but rather one-off partnerships with content providers to have a streamlined UI.)
3. If you stop somewhere to check something and you don't want to shine your highbeams into somebody's house....or if your a secret agent trying to sneak up on someone.
4/5. It comes preconfigured with their user name and password which you don't have access to as far as I can tell. If the credentials aren't there you can reset to factory settings and it should appear. I'm talking about slacker, not sure about Tunein.
6. a. from the controls section of the screen. b. by pressing on the roof of your key fob once. c.by using the smartphone app.
7.....no idea.

high beams are one of the stalks...can't remember which one they are slightly crowded. Wipers and water are more counterintuitive - push into one of the stalks.

Good think you can read the manual right on your touchscreen if you need.

Enjoy your whip!

I think Bifff67 answered most of your questions.
The calendar app is helpful if you are a busy person that travels place to place (ie. work or kids events). If you have an address associated with the event then you can one click and it will navigate you there.

Sounds like the service team didn't walk you through a few things....

1. I thought the homelink was connected to GPS? Drive away it closes the door, come back home, it opens it. Mine doesn't seem to be doing that, it only shows the homelink menu as I get home. Is this an option somewhere?
It is linked to GPS. You can use it for multiple devices (EG home - driveway gates, home - garage, work - gates for parking lot)- . It remembers the device based on where you are on the GPS. You still have to activate each device.

2. That calendar, what the hell is that good for? I mean why do I want the calendar on my car. I wish those apps up there were customizable (i.e. remove apps, get new apps from appstore etc.)
It ties into you phone calendar. If you have an appointment, with address, it will NAV to it

3. The auto high beam setting, is there any reason not to leave it on auto high beam all the time?
Sure, why not....

4. Tunein radio - is Tesla supposed to give you a login account for it, or you create one for yourself?
It should be pre-loaded by Tesla

5. Slacker radio - is Tesla supposed to share the password with you?
Yes, and if you email them, they will give you your username and password. email:servicehelpna@teslamotors.com

6. When you are sitting at the supercharger in the middle of the night, is there an easy way to lock the car?
Use the app...or change your settings to autolock
7. Is there a reference manual of all the voice commands the car supports?
I guarantee it's on this site somewhere

Still trying to get used to regen, and the left stalks. I guess it'll take some time before I get used to the car.
I hate reading manuals, but I think in this car I'll have to. Too many hidden gestures etc. Like is there a way to flash high beams?
Is there a way to resume from a stop without tapping the gas pedal?
Creep mode
etc.

Last edited:
I LOVE the calendar app. I always put crap in my calender, and when I used to navigate from my phone, it'd tell me when to leave, and I'd click on the address and it'd show up in the map. Now I click on calendar in the car, and click on the address and it takes me there.

- - - Updated - - -

4/5. It comes preconfigured with their user name and password which you don't have access to as far as I can tell. If the credentials aren't there you can reset to factory settings and it should appear. I'm talking about slacker, not sure about Tunein.

You can email Tesla and they'll give your account email address and password.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a way to resume from a stop without tapping the gas pedal? etc.

Are you talking about when you use TACC? Then it does it automatically if it's under 5 or 30 seconds or something like that (I forget the exact details)

Otherwise, as other people have mentioned -- creep mode.

I LOVE the calendar app. I always put crap in my calender, and when I used to navigate from my phone, it'd tell me when to leave, and I'd click on the address and it'd show up in the map. Now I click on calendar in the car, and click on the address and it takes me there.

- - - Updated - - -

You can email Tesla and they'll give your account email address and password.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, pull the highbeam stalk (the one with the wiper settings on it) towards you.

thanks everyone for your answers. Max, does the calendar app also warm or cool your car if you have an online meeting you don't need to go anywhere for, or is it smart enough to differentiate a meeting with an address? Also I hope it doesn't open the garage door automatically.

thanks everyone for your answers. Max, does the calendar app also warm or cool your car if you have an online meeting you don't need to go anywhere for, or is it smart enough to differentiate a meeting with an address? Also I hope it doesn't open the garage door automatically.

I didn't turn on preconditioning (I don't always leave at the same time, and I don't want the car to just sit there with the AC running), so I don't know.

The calendar app also ties into the predictive traffic-based routing feature. If there is an item on your calendar with an address in the location field, as you approach the time of the event, the car will periodically check the route to that location from your current location with traffic and compare it to the route without traffic. If that difference is more than the configured value (5 minutes default but can be changed in Settings) then you will get a popup telling you that there is a faster route to your destination. It will do this even if you're not actually actively navigating.

I also just like seeing my calendar pop up in the morning to get an idea of what I have in store for the day. Being able to click to nav is really nice as well. Overall, I find the Calendar feature to be a lot more useful than I thought when I originally heard about it coming.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like the service team didn't walk you through a few things....
It should be pre-loaded by Tesla

The Tune In account won't be pre-loaded, only the Slacker account. If you want to add a Tune-In account, just go online and create one for free.

The calendar app also ties into the predictive traffic-based routing feature. If there is an item on your calendar with an address in the location field, as you approach the time of the event, the car will periodically check the route to that location from your current location with traffic and compare it to the route without traffic. If that difference is more than the configured value (5 minutes default but can be changed in Settings) then you will get a popup telling you that there is a faster route to your destination. It will do this even if you're not actually actively navigating.

I also just like seeing my calendar pop up in the morning to get an idea of what I have in store for the day. Being able to click to nav is really nice as well. Overall, I find the Calendar feature to be a lot more useful than I thought when I originally heard about it coming.

- - - Updated - - -

The Tune In account won't be pre-loaded, only the Slacker account. If you want to add a Tune-In account, just go online and create one for free.

Thanks PGIRalt.
What about meetings that have an online meeting location? Does the calendar app ignore those?

I too have thought about why the garage door doesn't automatically engage since it is GPS-linked, but I"m guessing the answer to that is, how would the car know if the door is already open or not? Or if it's "safe" to open it or not (even though most have the safety features).

I do wish it was a bigger pop up in the middle of the screen or somewhere more prominent. Its at the top middle of the screen and sometimes it can take a little more effort to hit the right spot while still moving. That is one thing that was slightly easier in my older vehicle. I could just reach up and by feel hit the correct button without taking my eyes off of the road. No big deal though.

How do you sync the car calendar to your phone calendar?
I use Outlook calendar on my iPhone.

It synced on it's own, i use google Calendar. The DS told me any calendar works. Log into your MyTesla account from the iPhone app, and in settings turn on calendar sync (mine was on by default, but I'm on Android).

I too have thought about why the garage door doesn't automatically engage since it is GPS-linked, but I"m guessing the answer to that is, how would the car know if the door is already open or not? Or if it's "safe" to open it or not (even though most have the safety features).

I do wish it was a bigger pop up in the middle of the screen or somewhere more prominent. Its at the top middle of the screen and sometimes it can take a little more effort to hit the right spot while still moving. That is one thing that was slightly easier in my older vehicle. I could just reach up and by feel hit the correct button without taking my eyes off of the road. No big deal though.

We had our walkthrough yesterday and I asked about this, he said it was coming with the autopilot updates in 7.0, which should be here in a few weeks.

We had our walkthrough yesterday and I asked about this, he said it was coming with the autopilot updates in 7.0, which should be here in a few weeks.
I expect such a feature to be user controllable. I do not necessarily want my garage door to open automatically when I turn into my driveway. I have a one car garage and a one car carport, side by side.