Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beginning to Think that the M3 SR+ is the Best Choice - Here's Why

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do agree the SR+ is a great value, and perhaps even a bit better now that it “only” went up $500 while the LR went up $1,500. I initially ordered the SR+ but after thinking about it, I decided to switch to an LR because I felt the extra 6K was justified by the upgraded interior and extra range, which by the way is 61 miles, not 85 (325-264=61).

Regarding the satellite views, I’m still not sure what the real story is. I saw one video on youtube of someone with an SR+ who had satellite views on his map but demonstrated that he could not change from satellite to standard views, meaning he was permanently locked into having only satellite maps. I saw another poster say they were getting satellite maps during the day and standard maps at night. And a third poster saying they were only getting standard maps. I suspect that there is a software bug here that Tesla will eventually fix. I believe the reason they eliminated the satellite views from SR+ was to reduce the amount of cellular data required.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Will and vickh
Thanks to all for the replies. My initial post may not have been clearly worded, causing some confusion. I posted from the perspective of someone looking at this forum and trying to decide which M3 model configuration to buy. With all the recent price changes and feature differences, I thought I'd share my reasons for suggesting the SR+, which wasn't available when I ordered my LR RWD last year.

Your purchase decision needs/thoughts would likely be different from mine, and I wanted to let readers know why I suggest the SR+ given today's choices of models/options. That's why I added "Here's Why" to my post. It wasn't an intent to be snarky, as at least one poster may have perceived. Sorry if my wording gave that impression.

I did indeed pay more than today's price for my car. Given the change in tax credits, and many other factors, I'm "OK" with my price. I got a great car, enjoy if fully, it meets my needs, and has been updated with new/improved features with several Version changes during my four months of ownership. Version updates have value to me, as will future updates - all of which are free, adding to the value of my ownership experience. If a new buyer gets a better price than I did - good for him/her. That's another car sale for Tesla, and may help them improve the company further.

I left out tax credits and transportation/fees as well. Transportation/fees seem universal regardless of model or options, so I didn't see a need to include them. Tax credits are a bit trickier. For many the tax credit is a deciding factor. For others they don't have enough taxable income to fully utilize the tax credit. Their buying decision is based on the value they perceive in the car itself, and while the tax credit is still useful, it may have less actual value for them, especially on the SR models.

My intent is to have a discussion among all TMC members, sharing different perspectives and experiences, so that those about to make a Model 3 purchase can be informed and make the best decision for themselves. Your posts are adding to the discussion, and hopefully together they'll help a new Tesla owner make an informed decision. Thanks again for your posts!

Agreed. For the Tesla forum elders, buy whatever version fits your budget and needs. But OP’s post is very helpful for new forum lurkers and spreading the message to average Joe who has only ever bought entry or mid-trim Accords and Camrys. Even with gas savings, Model 3 LR may be too expensive for them. And Model 3 SR may be too stripped down (custom driver profiles but no power adjustable seats?!?!). Model 3 SR+ gets them into the Tesla family and is a car that is better in every way than their current car.

Respectfully disagree. When the original Model S came out many people made the same argument about the 60 vs the 85. Over time the 60 battery degraded much faster than the 85. It will be the same with the model 3.

Buy the biggest battery that they offer and you will be better off long term.

battery degradation is minimal on MS, no?

I do agree the SR+ is a great value, and perhaps even a bit better now that it “only” went up $500 while the LR went up $1,500. I initially ordered the SR+ but after thinking about it, I decided to switch to an LR because I felt the extra 6K was justified by the upgraded interior and extra range, which by the way is 61 miles, not 85 (325-264=61).

Regarding the satellite views, I’m still not sure what the real story is. I saw one video on youtube of someone with an SR+ who had satellite views on his map but demonstrated that he could not change from satellite to standard views, meaning he was permanently locked into having only satellite maps. I saw another poster say they were getting satellite maps during the day and standard maps at night. And a third poster saying they were only getting standard maps. I suspect that there is a software bug here that Tesla will eventually fix. I believe the reason they eliminated the satellite views from SR+ was to reduce the amount of cellular data required.

pay for LTE $100/yr

pay for LTE $100/yr

Maybe. Tesla said they expect the fee after the first year to be around $100/yr but that is only for cars with a Premium Interior, so that would not include SR/SR+. They have not announced plans to offer premium connectivity for SR/SR+. There is a mention that they may offer it later this year but nothing definite.

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

• Informative
Reactions: lencap
Maybe. Tesla said they expect the fee after the first year to be around $100/yr but that is only for cars with a Premium Interior, so that would not include SR/SR+. They have not announced plans to offer premium connectivity for SR/SR+. There is a mention that they may offer it later this year but nothing definite.

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity
I agree about the SR since it's not premium but SR+ has the hardware for it as seen in the videos above. It's partial premium.

I understand what your saying and agree with you that the SR+ is a ton of bang for your buck. I think it has all the essential parts of the PUP which would matter to me (power seats, heated front seats, decent audio) and good enough range. At 37.5k it is an absolute bargain and no brainer pick over a base A4, C class or 3 series. On that note, I would not encourage anyone to spend much more compared to their original budget to get into one because no car is worth getting car poor over and be in debt and to delay retirement over. The cars will be under 20k used within 3 years so best to wait if this is considered a splurge for anyone.

However I am a LR RWD buyer who paid $61k last May before tax credits and love the car. I think at $44.5k the LR is still the best value for a primary car. 95% of the time you don't need the range but you will thank yourself in the future when you do need the extra miles. Many people will find 0 interest in the added physical features like the audio/streaming/software upgrades/homelink but the 7k extra does give significant more range. You can explore areas with less reliance on the charging infrastructure. Even in Socal it helps with the LR if your in LA and want to go to SD for a day trip. The LR will let you go roundtrip and have a few stops in the city without necessarily requiring a charging stop. Or if you decide to go out of the states or Yosemite or camping the extra range will be highly helpful. If its a secondary vehicle the SR+ is perfect. If your purchasing with intent to keep for the long haul it may well worth spending the 7K to get a great all around vehicle which can be used as a primary car.

Reactions: pilotSteve and KJD

264 was the MR. SR+ is 240 so his original 85 mile difference comment was correct.

• Informative
Reactions: GenSao and turtlesz
The SR also has LTE. There have been several posters who have purchased an SR+ and have confirmed there is no option to add the premium connectivity feature. The icon for the music streaming and web browser is just missing. There is no hardware limitation preventing Tesla from adding it to any of the cars including the SR. It's just a matter of them deciding to do it and establishing a price.

I live in MA and we have an extra $1,500 incentive for EV's under $50k

I really wanted Full Self Driving because I think that's (one of) the top reasons to buy a Tesla

So my options were MR or SR+ ( or SR which I think is too entry level of a car for $35k and wouldn't be worth adding FSD to )

I went to buy the MR literally 8 minutes after it was removed from their site so now I have a SR+

Sometimes things happen for a reason and I'm kinda glad I got the SR+

I live in MA and we have an extra $1,500 incentive for EV's under $50k

I really wanted Full Self Driving because I think that's (one of) the top reasons to buy a Tesla

So my options were MR or SR+ ( or SR which I think is too entry level of a car for $35k and wouldn't be worth adding FSD to )

I went to buy the MR literally 8 minutes after it was removed from their site so now I have a SR+

Sometimes things happen for a reason and I'm kinda glad I got the SR+
I miss the Northeast ... NJ has no sales tax for full EVs, MA and some other states have these EV incentives. Here in the midwest (Ohio), there's no such thing. No real incentive to switch, in case you're just below the affordability range.

If anything, recently the state legislators passed a bill to increase the registration fee by $200 for EVs compared to ICEs - the rationale being EV folks don't pay gas tax but use the road. Sounds fair on paper ... but given no other incentive, doesn't make sense to me.

I miss the Northeast ... NJ has no sales tax for full EVs, MA and some other states have these EV incentives. Here in the midwest (Ohio), there's no such thing. No real incentive to switch, in case you're just below the affordability range.

If anything, recently the state legislators passed a bill to increase the registration fee by $200 for EVs compared to ICEs - the rationale being EV folks don't pay gas tax but use the road. Sounds fair on paper ... but given no other incentive, doesn't make sense to me.

How do people not realize it costs $7 to fill up when a gas car costs $30+ that should be enough incentive. And yeah WA state legislators are trying to increase our annual fee from $150 to $350. More than the gas tax for gas cars!!

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
For me, for both price and features, the SR+ is perfect.. well, it could be cheaper. I've never owned a car over $30k, but since I've been shopping around lately it seems that's like the minimum for a good SUV these days. So I upped my budget to max at 40k, but don't want to go near that high if I can help it. But honestly I don't really need a SUV. I never drive off asphalt, and rarely ever have more than 1 passenger, so it makes sense to "downsize" into a model 3. When I'm ready to buy I'm gonna go for a SR+, but call the sales dept and see if they can hook me up with a demo or test drive car that I can get a little cheaper. It would be nice to have a LR because I like the idea of having more range, but really the SR+ is more than enough for my daily commute or visiting family.

For me, for both price and features, the SR+ is perfect.. well, it could be cheaper. I've never owned a car over $30k, but since I've been shopping around lately it seems that's like the minimum for a good SUV these days. So I upped my budget to max at 40k, but don't want to go near that high if I can help it. But honestly I don't really need a SUV. I never drive off asphalt, and rarely ever have more than 1 passenger, so it makes sense to "downsize" into a model 3. When I'm ready to buy I'm gonna go for a SR+, but call the sales dept and see if they can hook me up with a demo or test drive car that I can get a little cheaper. It would be nice to have a LR because I like the idea of having more range, but really the SR+ is more than enough for my daily commute or visiting family.

Don’t forget to factor in the tax credit as long as you buy this year. The SR+ even with a color other than black is currently well under $40k (pre tax of course)