Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Behavior of latest FSD beta after subscription ends

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So going back to my original question--if the car has the FSDb software installed but the subscription has lapsed and the car is later prompted to update to the infotainment track, but I resubscribe (while still on the older FSDb software), would the car, after some time, be prompted to install the newer FSDb release rather than the infotainment release--like the way I experienced and described in this post?
All I can do is repeat what I said in a different way - subscribing to FSD doesn't trigger an update from Tesla, but I'm sure they want to get a version of FSDb to you so that you can help test it for them. That said, people are complaining bitterly that they subscribe to FSD and don't get FSDb. This suggests to me that Tesla may have some metric to determine whether they want to send FSDb to a subscriber. It may depend on how much of your driving is done on Autopilot or Enhanced Autopilot. If a driver puts in few miles with the existing autonomy features, then Tesla may assume that there's not much point in sending them more of the same. Or it may be according to what percentage of driving is done with autonomy. Or the phase of the moon.

Reactions: snovvman
Just FYI… I subscribed to FSD Beta for one month on our 2018 S. It expired today, and all AP and EAP behavior reverted back to the legacy code, as if I had never tried FSD.

That’s a shame. I was hoping Tesla would have let us keep using the FSD code, but simply restricted it to highway use. FSD is MUCH smoother with lane-keeping and lane changes. It’s a real step backwards, giving it up.

Just FYI… I subscribed to FSD Beta for one month on our 2018 S. It expired today, and all AP and EAP behavior reverted back to the legacy code, as if I had never tried FSD.

That’s a shame. I was hoping Tesla would have let us keep using the FSD code, but simply restricted it to highway use. FSD is MUCH smoother with lane-keeping and lane changes. It’s a real step backwards, giving it up.

What did you mean by "behavior reverted back to the legacy code"? Was it a deduction based on the less smooth lane-keeping and lane changes? I presume there was no forced software update back to the non-FSDb track? That is, you are still running the FSDb software?

What did you mean by "behavior reverted back to the legacy code"? Was it a deduction based on the less smooth lane-keeping and lane changes? I presume there was no forced software update back to the non-FSDb track? That is, you are still running the FSDb software?
No forced software update. We simply navigated to a restaurant, had dinner, then found the third button for FSD Beta missing upon our return to the car.

I have driven It a year and a half without FSD. Highway lane keeping has always been a bit “twitchy”, meaning it does more corrections than necessary to remain in the center of the lane. Lane changes are somewhat abrupt - definitely faster and less smooth than I would do them myself.

When I subscribed to FSD a month ago, I could not believe how much smoother it is on the highway. It holds the center of the lane without any twitching left and right to make sure it’s dead-center. And, lane changes are smooth as silk, almost exactly as I would do them, myself.

When FSD expired this evening, it was instantly obvious that the car is back to using the original code for Navigating on Autopilot. The smoothness is gone, and everything I described about our pre-FSD behavior his back.

No forced software update. We simply navigated to a restaurant, had dinner, then found the third button for FSD Beta missing upon our return to the car.

I have driven It a year and a half without FSD. Highway lane keeping has always been a bit “twitchy”, meaning it does more corrections than necessary to remain in the center of the lane. Lane changes are somewhat abrupt - definitely faster and less smooth than I would do them myself.

When I subscribed to FSD a month ago, I could not believe how much smoother it is on the highway. It holds the center of the lane without any twitching left and right to make sure it’s dead-center. And, lane changes are smooth as silk, almost exactly as I would do them, myself.

When FSD expired this evening, it was instantly obvious that the car is back to using the original code for Navigating on Autopilot. The smoothness is gone, and everything I described about our pre-FSD behavior his back.

Thank you. If you remain un-subscribed, I would be interested to know what the next software version will be. Please post when you get a prompt.

If the update is a non-FSDb version, and if you are willing and interested, please 1) do not update to the non-FSDb software 2) re-subscribe to FSD for another month, 3) re-enable FSDb (since you are still on the FSDb software, 4) wait and see if the non-FSDb software update goes away, and 5) hopefully there will be a new FSDb release during this time and see if you are prompted to install that.

If the above pans out, at least you can re-subscribe FSD and get FSDb intermittently and not have to wait for version alignment.

Reactions: Bart57266
Thank you. If you remain un-subscribed, I would be interested to know what the next software version will be. Please post when you get a prompt.

If the update is a non-FSDb version, and if you are willing and interested, please 1) do not update to the non-FSDb software 2) re-subscribe to FSD for another month, 3) re-enable FSDb (since you are still on the FSDb software, 4) wait and see if the non-FSDb software update goes away, and 5) hopefully there will be a new FSDb release during this time and see if you are prompted to install that.

If the above pans out, at least you can re-subscribe FSD and get FSDb intermittently and not have to wait for version alignment.

Updated/alternate scenario:

(Once you are no longer subscribed to FSD and when a new software is prompted for update)--
If the prompted update is a non-FSDb version, and if you are willing and interested, please 1) do not update to the non-FSDb software, 2) monitor for a newer FSDb release, when a newer version is available, 2) re-subscribe to FSD for another month, 3) re-enable FSDb (since you are still on the old FSDb software, 4) wait and see if the non-FSDb software update goes away, and 5) see if you are prompted to install the newer FSDb software after some time.

Obviously, it would also be interesting to know that while you are not FSD-subscribed, if the next prompted update is still on the FSDb track. That would seem unlikely. Also, if and when Tesla merge the stacks, things will be different still.

A cheaper experiment is to just wait to see if you're offered an update that contains FSDb without subscribing. If somebody subscribed once and used FSDb then, if I was Tesla, I'd offer that person another FSDb update.

Agreed, but my premise was "If the prompted update is a non-FSDb version..." after the subscription has lapsed.

(Once you are no longer subscribed to FSD and when a new software is prompted for update)--
If the prompted update is a non-FSDb version, and if you are willing and interested, please 1) do not update to the non-FSDb software, 2) monitor for a newer FSDb release, when a newer version is available, 2) re-subscribe to FSD for another month, 3) re-enable FSDb (since you are still on the old FSDb software, 4) wait and see if the non-FSDb software update goes away, and 5) see if you are prompted to install the newer FSDb software after some time.

Reactions: JB47394
@Bart57266, is your FSD subscription still in the lapsed state? If yes, there is a new version 2023.20.7 with FSD 11.3.6 (if you were previously on 2023.12.10/11). If you were previously on 2023.7.15/ FSD 11.4.3, there is 2023.7.20/FSD 11.4.4. I am curious to know what version you are prompted to update in the FSD subscription lapsed state. Or, were you prompted with 2023.20.4.1 as the next update?

Thanks.

Edit: And for anyone else who had previous FSD subscription but not active now, if you were prompted to update: 1) what date did your subscription end, 2) what was the version at the time of the subscription end, and 3) to what new version were you prompted to update?

Last edited:
@Bart57266, is your FSD subscription still in the lapsed state? If yes, there is a new version 2023.20.7 with FSD 11.3.6 (if you were previously on 2023.12.10/11). If you were previously on 2023.7.15/ FSD 11.4.3, there is 2023.7.20/FSD 11.4.4. I am curious to know what version you are prompted to update in the FSD subscription lapsed state. Or, were you prompted with 2023.20.4.1 as the next update?

Thanks.

Edit: And for anyone else who had previous FSD subscription but not active now, if you were prompted to update: 1) what date did your subscription end, 2) what was the version at the time of the subscription end, and 3) to what new version were you prompted to update?

Yes, still lapsed.

Had 5/25/23:
Software 2023.12.10
FSD 11.3.6
Navigation NA-2022-28-14046

Have, as of 7/3/23:
Software 2023.20.7
FSD (lapsed 6/23/23)
Navigation NA-2022-44-14515

Yes, still lapsed.

Had 5/25/23:
Software 2023.12.10
FSD 11.3.6
Navigation NA-2022-28-14046

Have, as of 7/3/23:
Software 2023.20.7
FSD (lapsed 6/23/23)
Navigation NA-2022-44-14515

This is good news. 2023.20.7 still has FSDb 11.3.6. This, in theory, means that if and when you re-subscribe to FSD, you should be able to just flip on FSDb. The fact that the update with FSDb was downloaded *after* your subscription lapsed, it gives hope that you will stay on the FSDb track even without a current subscription.

After some time, perhaps the updates will revert to the non-FSDb track, but who knows.

This also makes me wonder if, starting with 2023.12.10, for those who subscribed to FSDb, Tesla's intention is to maintain a version path that continues to include FSDb (that prioritizes infotainment) even when the subscription has lapsed.

If you remain unsubscribed, it would be interesting to see what the next update will be. Please keep us posted.

Thank you!

Last edited:
This is good news. 2023.20.7 still has FSDb 11.3.6. This, in theory, means that if and when you re-subscribe to FSD, you should be able to just flip on FSDb. The fact that the update with FSDb was downloaded *after* your subscription lapsed, it gives hope that you will stay on the FSDb track even without a current subscription.

After some time, perhaps the updates will revert to the non-FSDb track, but who knows.

This also makes me wonder if, starting with 2023.12.10, for those who subscribed to FSDb, Tesla's intention is to maintain a version path that continues to include FSDb (that prioritizes infotainment) even when the subscription has lapsed.

If you remain unsubscribed, it would be interesting to see what the next update will be. Please keep us posted.

Thank you!

I have received 1-2 updates since the last post. The notes only referred to minor updates or bug fixes. No new features for this legacy 2018 Model S!

Currently on 2023.20.8
Have NOT re-subscribed to FSD.

I have received 1-2 updates since the last post. The notes only referred to minor updates or bug fixes. No new features for this legacy 2018 Model S!

Currently on 2023.20.8
Have NOT re-subscribed to FSD.

Thanks very much for checking back. I see that post 2023.20.8 (with FSDb), there are now versions 2023.20.9 and 2023.26.1. According to TeslaFi, the two new versions DO NOT have FSDb: TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

Since you have not re-subscribed, I am curious to know what next firmware version you are offered. I have my update set to "Advanced" and force the car to check it once a day when I know there is an update. I wonder if you will be offered one of those newer versions without FSDb. If your plan is to re-subscribe to FSDb, just keep in mind that if you update to a non-FSDb track, you might be waiting for awhile again to get back in.

Looking forward to seeing what is next!

Thanks very much for checking back. I see that post 2023.20.8 (with FSDb), there are now versions 2023.20.9 and 2023.26.1. According to TeslaFi, the two new versions DO NOT have FSDb: TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

Since you have not re-subscribed, I am curious to know what next firmware version you are offered. I have my update set to "Advanced" and force the car to check it once a day when I know there is an update. I wonder if you will be offered one of those newer versions without FSDb. If your plan is to re-subscribe to FSDb, just keep in mind that if you update to a non-FSDb track, you might be waiting for awhile again to get back in.

Looking forward to seeing what is next!

According to notateslaapp, 2023.20.9 does include Beta. It usually takes a few days for any site to tag the release with Beta, so 2023.26.X likely has it as well.

It looks like all releases going forward will have the 11.3.6 Beta included and are going to all cars.

Last edited:
According to notateslaapp, 2023.20.9 does include Beta. It usually takes a few days for any site to tag the release with Beta, so 2023.26.X likely has it as well.

It looks like all releases going forward will have the 11.3.6 Beta included and are going to all cars.

Thanks! That makes sense. I saw the same thing from notateslaapp, but thought that they got the data from TeslaFi, so I took TeslaFi as the authoritative source. If I were faced with updating to .9 and want to keep FSDb, best to wait for confirmation.

It would be great if 26.x also include FSDb--a newer FSDb such as 11.4.x.

Update on software update behavior after FSD subscription ends:

Shortly after my FSD subscription ended, I was offered and updated to 2023.20.9/11.3.6.

A few days ago, 2023.26.7 showed up as an available update. I checked TeslaFi to see if 26.7 includes FSDb and could have sworn that I saw 11.3.6 next to it so I updated. Clearly, I made a mistake. 26.7 does not include FSDb. I guess now I will wait until the a higher-than-26.7 to be released with FSDb so I can re-subscribe and get back on the FSDb track.

Uh, I resubscribed to FSD while I was on 2023.26.1 and got beta right away. Then the car offered 2023.26.7. I knew it still had beta so I updated and still have beta while on 2023.26.7.

Thanks for your information. I was basing it off of TeslaFi's list and this Youtube video (time coded to start at 0.07 where the guy said "non-FSD beta".

It's good to know that 2023.26.7 still has FSDb. I will re-subscribe the next time I drive the car and see if FSDb returns while on 26.7.

Question, you wrote "I knew it still had beta"--how did you know?