Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BEHOLD! My COIL suspension Model S P85 has been LOWERED!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upon my various research and findings, I found out how difficult it was to lower a coil suspension Model S. NO ONE makes an aftermarket kit. Giving credit to lolachamp's findings, I discovered a guy on here who had lowered his S85 using parts that were sent to him by lolachamp. Basically, what is done is the stock S85/P85 (same shock/Tesla part number!) shocks are machine a new c-clip notch and moving the height c-clip down the amount you want to lower on the shock.

I went to a very skilled automotive technician here locally in SoCal and had him machine the stock Bilstein shock bodies I purchased from a forum member here locally. I went with 1" all around. If I could do it over again, I would go 1" in the front and 1.25" in the rear to level it out a bit, but overall I am happy!

The ride quality is BETTER in my opinion. Less bouncy/more refined and it is now perfect to me. The car handles much better with less body roll, and best of all- it looks WAY better than the stock height especially when running OEM 21" wheels or like me, after market 22's with low profile tires.

I have my stock suspension in my possession (only 5500 miles on them) so if you want to do what I am doing here, PM me and I can have them machined to whatever drop you want and ship em' out to you for a nominal price :)

BEFORE pics on top of course, sorry for bad pic quality, I adjusted best I could (also had him remove center caps in after pic as I am re-doing them)

Lowered_01.jpg

Lowered_02.jpg

Lowered_03.jpg

Picture of machined shock, notice the new C-Clip position and the old notch where the factory C-Clip position was:

2014-11-08%2009.35.19.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good! Do you have a photo of the full side of the car before and after?
How much work and $$ in assembly and machine work?

Did you go with 1" on all four bodies? So actual lowering is more due to A-arm length.

Looks good! Do you have a photo of the full side of the car before and after?
How much work and $$ in assembly and machine work?

Did you go with 1" on all four bodies? So actual lowering is more due to A-arm length.

Yeah I went 1" all the way around! I'm real happy how it turned out!

as for a price, my guy charged me $480 labor to install the shocks. I am willing to sell my factory Bilstein shocks fully machined to any set level you would like for at least $700. Reason is I paid almost that for the shocks I purchased to do this, plus the machining cost.

also I'll post more pics later !