Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Being charged for "free" supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When using a supercharger, simply set the the charge limit to 100%. The charge rate slows dramatically over 90%. You have at least 20 minutes after the 80% warning to get back to your car.
It’s also not charged if the SC is less than 50% occupied. If it is over 50% full, then you’re likely causing people to at least charge at a slower rate. If that’s the case, you should just move your car.

I sent an email today and I plan to call the local SC to see what's up.
I started seeing same today.
When we got our X they told us if we ever get charged just to call them..... They would adjust it
I started to see today as well. However, don’t see credit card charged so far. Do we have to call them to restore it back so that no more charges show up on the screen?

wasnt the idle grace period 15min?

5min seems very short considering if you are in a mall or eating or something you cannot get back to within 5 minutes.
Seems reasonable to me, if you consider the impact of your lateness on others waiting for a spot to open up. The car provides an estimate of how long it will take before charging is complete, and it's the owner's responsibility to return to the car by that time. (You can check the time remaining with the app if you're not sure how much longer you've got.) It's not like you have to wait for charging to stop in order to begin your walk back to the supercharger.

When we stop for a meal near a supercharger, it's usually at a point where we're low on charge, so we'll have 45 minutes to an hour. Unless the restaurant is slow or super-busy, we're normally finished well before the car is. Otherwise, I'll go move the car while my wife waits. If I was traveling on my own, and the meal wasn't coming out in time, I'd explain the situation and ask for the order to go, leaving my phone number in case it's ready before I get back.

wasnt the idle grace period 15min?

5min seems very short considering if you are in a mall or eating or something you cannot get back to within 5 minutes.

If you are on a road trip, set the charge limit to 100% Charging really slows near 100. At least 20 minutes to get from 90 to 100. I can’t imagine it ever being a problem, unless you are not paying attention at all.

Reactions: thecloud
Just steering this conversation back to the original topic of Free Supercharging. I want to add my name to a list of peeps that is getting charged to supercharge on an unlimited free supercharging, June 10 delivery MX100D.

My sales advisor says he sent them an email to take care of it. I'm hoping now that the delivery rush is over, they can attend to my ticket.

Just steering this conversation back to the original topic of Free Supercharging. I want to add my name to a list of peeps that is getting charged to supercharge on an unlimited free supercharging, June 10 delivery MX100D.

My sales advisor says he sent them an email to take care of it. I'm hoping now that the delivery rush is over, they can attend to my ticket.

I'm curious. When you log into your Tesla Account, does it state whether or not you are pay per use or free super charging?

Sadly I can't check this on my account because when I click on manage for my vehicle, it takes me to www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/profile instead of www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/ownership/details.

@RecklessFury - where does it supposed to say that? When I login to my Tesla profile, under "Manage", it shows my MX, the VIN, and has the following boxes. Service, Tesla Referral Program, Support, Model X Payment, Charging Installation, Purchase an Extended Service Agreement and My Documents.

Is it supposed to say Free Supercharging anywhere on that page?

@RecklessFury - where does it supposed to say that? When I login to my Tesla profile, under "Manage", it shows my MX, the VIN, and has the following boxes. Service, Tesla Referral Program, Support, Model X Payment, Charging Installation, Purchase an Extended Service Agreement and My Documents.

Is it supposed to say Free Supercharging anywhere on that page?

On my page it is the second gray box, between the Service box and the Referral box.

Supercharging
You have free, unlimited Supercharging for your current Tesla vehicle. If you choose to sell your current Tesla, free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner. Read our Supercharging terms.