Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Benefits to Having Separate Accounts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My second recently ordered X is placed in the same account as my first. I requested the OA to place it in a new account instead so that in the event that I sell either car, I can simply give the new owner the email/password to the particular car. Is this the right way to go or is having multiple cars in the same account better, and why? Thank you.

OK I'll just spit it out: when you call Tesla to transfer the car to the new owner, Tesla will remove the free SC because it only applies to the original owner (verbiage difference, no longer lifetime of the car according to recent posts). Hence I think it's beneficial to having separate accounts ;-)

OK I'll just spit it out: when you call Tesla to transfer the car to the new owner, Tesla will remove the free SC because it only applies to the original owner (verbiage difference, no longer lifetime of the car according to recent posts). Hence I think it's beneficial to having separate accounts ;-)

That's not true anymore. Supercharging follows the vehicle, not the owner. I know because I just placed my MX order on the 18th, and the only way to get Free SC was to use a referral code.

Yes you get free supercharging with referral but when you sell the car new owner will not get free supercharging.
Correct, here is what my recently placed order says in the spec sheet:
Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 3.43.41 PM.png

I'm sure Telsa will catch it when the new owner requests the name/address on the account be updated so that Tesla will let them approve warranty, or non-warranty, work.

It's up to you but most people nowadays only use one primary email as their daily email, so they prefer using their primary email for tesla emails, service appointment, etc. so your email would not benefit future new buyers, but feel free to do so if it's benefiting yourself somehow, but I can't see how...

not saying this is you but the only practical reason to do this is if you or she doesn't want each other knowing where the other is (via the GPS on the app).

If you sell the car you can have it removed from your account, which you have to do anyways if the new buyer wants it on their account. non issue.