Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Account hacked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had their Tesla account hacked? I got a notification that my new wall charger was on the way. I did not order one. I have one already. It was delivered to a scammer in TX. I live in PA. As soon as I got the email the order had been placed, I emailed Tesla. No response. I called the credit card company and they are taking care of it so far.
I cannot log into my account on the computer with the new reset password.
Very annoyed.

Has anyone else had their Tesla account hacked? I got a notification that my new wall charger was on the way. I did not order one. I have one already. It was delivered to a scammer in TX. I live in PA. As soon as I got the email the order had been placed, I emailed Tesla. No response. I called the credit card company and they are taking care of it so far.
I cannot log into my account on the computer with the new reset password.
Very annoyed.

Perhaps consider setting up 2 factor authentication on your Tesla account, which Tesla has had available for some time now:

Yes, myself and two other people that I know of have had wall connectors ordered from their account without their knowledge. Mine was set to be delivered to an address in Georgia. My credit card company caught it and denied the charge and called me. I was able to cancel the charger and secure my account and set MFA.

It says to setup a 3rd party MFA app on your phone. I have used MFA with financial institutions but have never had to install an MFA app. Any recommendations?

I use google authenticator for most things, but also have microsoft authenticator. Google authenticator has improved some since release, since it is now much easier to migrate from one mobile device to another than it used to be using google authenticator. I also use google services for other things though so its an easy choice for me, for this.

Just curious, those that got hacked, did u have easy password?
I never had any accounts hacked (fingers crossed) even without 2 step, but i use strong passwords and never write them down.
I'm an IT systems and network admin and always use minimum 10 character complex passwords and this is the first time I've ever had an account compromised. I guess I had my guard down not being aware Tesla offered MFA. It does seem like a database was compromised somewhere.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
I'm curious if those of you who have had their Tesla accounts compromised are using third party vehicle monitoring services like TeslaFi, Tezlab, Not A Tesla App, Stats, A Better Route Planner, etc.
I use TeslaFi but currently they dont use the Tesla login credentials. Instead they have you login to your Tesla account and generate an encryption token that you enter to their system.

It does seem like a database was compromised somewhere.
I think almost all of these are the result of password re-use.

A strong password (10 char hasn’t been “strong” for at least a few cycles of Moore’s law) is completely useless if you give it to every random website you come across. Just takes one crappy company getting pwned to ruin your entire life.

Password managers (which have their own problems, LastPass, we’re looking at you) AND MFA are really the only defense.

Reactions: jjrandorin
10 plain characters is not strong but with Capital, number and symbol is pretty strong
I have 3 levels of passwords,
1 - super strong for anything money related (banks, credit cards etc),
2 - fairly strong for important stuff (tesla, gmail, bills, etc)
3 - easy to remember semi-strong for things i don't really care but required to create account...

I also don't use any of "sign in with (another account like fb, gmail...)" stuff they offer..
So far this was enough

Reactions: CapsEngineer
I'm an IT systems and network admin and always use minimum 10 character complex passwords and this is the first time I've ever had an account compromised. I guess I had my guard down not being aware Tesla offered MFA. It does seem like a database was compromised somewhere.
Agree. My password is not simple yet used. During all of this I did get a notification of suspicious login attempts on my account. But it was after the order was made.

10 plain characters is not strong but with Capital, number and symbol is pretty strong
Depends on how you define "strong". In my definition of strong, no 10 character password provides reasonable protection against brute forcing in 2023.

bf2023.jpg

But brute forcing isn't really the problem here, unless you're a very high profile individual or otherwise have earned the attention of someone deliberately targeting you. Again - the issue is password re-use and rampant crappy security practices.

I have 3 levels of passwords,
1 - super strong for anything money related (banks, credit cards etc),
2 - fairly strong for important stuff (tesla, gmail, bills, etc)
3 - easy to remember semi-strong for things i don't really care but required to create account...

This works, sorta, supposing you can trust any and every provider you give that password to in each of these tiers to have secure systems and not make stupid decisions about security. But the underlying weakness remains. A breach at one bank means a breach at every bank if you re-use the same password across all of them, so your entire nest egg is dependent on the security of the weakest link.

So again - the only real solution here is strong unique passwords that aren't re-used. And definitely use MFA anywhere it's offered.

Reactions: unhyphy
that chart is only true for unlimited tries scenario...
most current accounts will lock u after few failed attempts

Sure totally not re-use is a way to go but we're all humans that forget so remembering 30 vs 3 passwords...
I kinda trust banks/credit card companies more with security than say facebook or macys...

FWIW, I use a password manager, Password Safe (pwsafe.exe). Essentially, every password is unique and extremely nasty looking. And long.

This rather gets rid of the "hack one database, snag other accounts" problem.

Password Safe was originally put together by Bruce Shinier (sp?) of security/cryptography fame.

The one thing I will not do is use any password store system that gets stored in the cloud. There was a notable hack of Last Pass; hackers exfiltrated the encrypted data files and, after some work by the hackers and a ton of stolen BitCoin wallets, it turned out that that data wasn't as encrypted as all that. While there are apologists for the industry who have noted that Last Pass's pointy-haired bosses allowed less-secure default encryption methods, it probably just means that other for-profit companies playing in this space haven't had the data files undergo sustained attack as of yet.

Two-factor authentication is cool with Tesla. They even have one print out a bunch of recovery codes in case one's cell phone (or whatever) is lost. However, there was a recent hack of a company which had used Google Authenticator. The initial hack was via spear-fishing and got into an individual's computer. But, even after that computer was placed off-line, the fact that Google had backed up the MFA into Google's Cloud meant that the attacker, who had the hacked computer's Google password, was able to restore the MFA to the hacker's computer and had continued on his/her merry way. The attacked company reported on this and suggested that the default, "back it up to Google!" option was a Bad Idea. Microsoft authenticator may not have this security bug, I'm not sure.

• Love
Reactions: unhyphy
I use a Pre-Loaded Visa Debit card from Bluedot for my Tesla account to paid my Supercharging billing.

This BlueDot card provides various discounts on EV expenses and gives you as a result some cash back into your account.

Since it's a Pre-Loaded card, I don't generaly too much money on it,
except when I have to paid large amounts like my car insurance forwhich I get some cash back.

I imagine that if a hacker tried using my Tesla account to order a wall charger,
the amount would be declined because of insufficient balance and I would receive immediatly an alert.

Using a pre-loaded card, or limiting the maximum amount that can be debited from your card,
could be another way to protect your Tesla account from fraudulent charges.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
My Tesla account was also hacked, and the hacker ordered a wall charger delivered at "650 N DRAKE AVE CHICAGO, IL 60624". When I got the order approved email notification, I logged into my Tesla account, canceled the order, changed the password, and added MFA.