Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best adapter for this plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

Last week I went to one of my local ski resorts an they have a few spots for electric vehicles with charging.
The only problem is I was only able to connect with the 120V plug since they only had one other option I hadn't seen before (it is worth mentioning that I have never charged outside of the Tesla supercharger network before so my experience is limited).

PakR9si.jpg

The image is an actual picture of the connector at the ski resort, and this is what it reads:
MARINCO 125/250v 50A

Would this be a good and safe option for my Model 3?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BHGY95S?tag=tmc064-20

Thanks!

I think there may be a problem. That's a marine style locking plug (no issue there really) but it only has 3 conductors. I think that means "no ground". Note that the other end of the adapter cable has the standard 50 amp outlet "3 conductors plus ground" - if I'm not mistaken, that ground is really important? Hoping an expert chimes in soon.

That adapter would probably work, but damn that's pricey just for an adapter. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever wired those outlets just used whatever random 50 amp outlets were in their truck at the time. It's bizarre to see that kind of outlet setup for EV charging. Tesla doesn't even offer an adapter for that type of outlet: Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Might not be a bad idea to mention this to management the next time you're there. They really should swap those outlets out with NEMA 14-50 outlets so they're actually useful.

Reactions: billh13850
Thanks for your input @billh13850

I'm no expert either and that's why I posted the question here, but I think the neutral connection is not required just by the information found on the description for this other adapter I came across during my search: 50A Locking (CS8365 / CS8364) to NEMA 14-50R EV Adapter

This EVSE adapter is not what I'm looking for, but If you read the description it specifically says it is suited for Tesla cars, and it does not supply a neutral connection.

As you mentioned, hopefully someone more knowledgeable provides more info on this soon!

That adapter would probably work, but damn that's pricey just for an adapter. I wouldn't be surprised if whoever wired those outlets just used whatever random 50 amp outlets were in their truck at the time. It's bizarre to see that kind of outlet setup for EV charging. Tesla doesn't even offer an adapter for that type of outlet: Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Might not be a bad idea to mention this to management the next time you're there. They really should swap those outlets out with NEMA 14-50 outlets so they're actually useful.

Yeah, I thought it was expensive too, but with the amount of times I'm planing on going there next season it'll pay for itself really since it is free charging. Apparently, it is not that uncommon of a plug in California from what I've gathered online, but I'll definitely ask this weekend when I go for my last ride of the season.

I'm no expert either and that's why I posted the question here, but I think the neutral connection is not required just by the information found on the description for this other adapter I came across during my search: 50A Locking (CS8365 / CS8364) to NEMA 14-50R EV Adapter

This EVSE adapter is not what I'm looking for, but If you read the description it specifically says it is suited for Tesla cars, and it does not supply a neutral connection.

As you mentioned, hopefully someone more knowledgeable provides more info on this soon!

Another thing is, the connector in the picture has a center pole.
Maybe that is the neutral connection??

Hello everyone,

Last week I went to one of my local ski resorts an they have a few spots for electric vehicles with charging.
The only problem is I was only able to connect with the 120V plug since they only had one other option I hadn't seen before (it is worth mentioning that I have never charged outside of the Tesla supercharger network before so my experience is limited).

PakR9si.jpg

The image is an actual picture of the connector at the ski resort, and this is what it reads:
MARINCO 125/250v 50A

Would this be a good and safe option for my Model 3?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BHGY95S?tag=tmc064-20

Thanks!
Legrand Pass and Seymour 50 Amp 125/250-Volt California Standard Connector-CS6364 - The Home Depot, PS, in the shot you’ll easily see the grounding located on the barrel..., I couldn’t make out from your pic, if it had the center pin, but if the pins line up, should be good. Also retired Electrical Contractor. For the record I’d also have someone qualified check the pin out of your solution as well as the original config, as it’s a situation governed by the lowest common denominator, (human error) always hiding in the background. You have no idea if the original installer even took note of which pins were what...

Last edited:

for this other adapter I came across during my search: 50A Locking (CS8365 / CS8364) to NEMA 14-50R EV Adapter

I bought some EVSE adapters. They are high quality and work for charging a Tesla. So, yeah, I think this IS the adapter you are looking for....

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I know this is an old post, but with ski season coming up I figured I'd update the community.
Talked to my local Tesla Service Center and one of their shop foreman confirmed this adapter should work:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00BHGY...colid=1AZ090RN9UKEE&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

I will be ordering it when the slopes open and try it out at Big Bear Ski Resort in SoCal.
Will update the results once I go for the first runs of the season.

Reactions: Rocky_H