Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best all season tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've narrowed my choices to
A. Michelin Crossclimate+
B. Michelin A/S 3+
C. Continental DWS06

What are the differences between these? I live in Norcal, with frequent trips to lake tahoe in the winter. So majority of my driving is dry, with occasional snow. Will be wrapping these around 18 or 19 Titan 7.

I'd like to limit traction loss in the dry/summer.
(Coming from the Pilot sport 4s, on a P3D+)

Hi. I'm afraid I can't do a comparison but I can say that I've had the Crossclimate+ on my car for nearly 2 years, and they are very good. Better than summer tyres by some margin when the temp drops below 10 deg C or thereabouts, better feel, grippier and less understeer thean the Goodyear asymetrics I had before. A couple of caveats:

1. I'm in South England so we don't get lots of snow - maybe a week or two per year.
2. I currently have them on a Lexus IS200

I'm picking up my M3P on the 9th December (can't wait but have to).

• Informative
Reactions: ibeugene
What are the differences between these? I live in Norcal, with frequent trips to lake tahoe in the winter. So majority of my driving is dry, with occasional snow. Will be wrapping these around 18 or 19 Titan 7.

I also live in Northern CA, have a Performance 3 and just got 18" Titan7 T-S5 wheels. My 3 final choices were the same as yours. Finally decided on the CrossClimate+ and going to Americas Tires today to order them (Costco refused to install tires on the Titan7s because they were a different size than what the door jamb sticker states). Supposed to be delivered to Americas Tires within 5 working days. I can let you know what I think if interested...

I also live in Northern CA, have a Performance 3 and just got 18" Titan7 T-S5 wheels. My 3 final choices were the same as yours. Finally decided on the CrossClimate+ and going to Americas Tires today to order them (Costco refused to install tires on the Titan7s because they were a different size than what the door jamb sticker states). Supposed to be delivered to Americas Tires within 5 working days. I can let you know what I think if interested...

I would be interested as well. I live in the Northeast and probably look into this tire after these Primancy MXM4 tires wear down. Sounds like the Cross Climate are good in rain and snow

Last edited:
I would be interested as well. I live in the Northeast and probably look into this tire after these Primancy MXM4 tires wear down. Sounds like the Cross Climate are go in rain and snow

Went to America's Tires today to purchase a set of the CrossClimate+ tires. They checked other stores as well as their warehouse and wholesalers, but this tire is out of stock in a 235/45 18. Costco is also backordered on this tire and was told Michelin is also backordered on this tire. TireRack has them in stock, but their price is about $40 higher per tire than Costco and America's Tire.

Ended up getting the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ as I didn't want to wait for Michelin's backorder. This is on the west coast, so inventory may be different in other locations. The tires should be in sometime in the next week or so...

The CrossClimate+ must be a popular tire right now, because I was told even Michelin doesn't have stock right now. The only place I found it in stock was TireRack. Other retailers here on the west coast seem to be out of stock. Americas Tires told me they don't even routinely stock the CrossClimate+ tires. He thought it was because of the milder climate of our particular area. I'll buy a set of chains from Tesla online.

DWS06 are quite good in the snow considering their non-snow performance. One thing that is very misleading about tirerack's ratings are that they're rated for THAT specific category of tire. If you see cross climate tires with a higher dry/wet handling rating compred to dws or as3+ or any ultra high perf all season - that absolutely does not equate to the cross climate being superior. In fact, I'd wager a large amount of money that both dws and as3+ are noticably superior from a "performance" tire standpoint. I'm used to having ultra high perf tires on my cars, and to me, part of the fun of the model 3 is that its very quick, and fun to drive. I'd rather put a performance tire on it than a touring tire. And that's coming from someone that bought a touring tire but will go back to DWS. Sidenote, as3+ are almost unanimously seen as the highest performing dry/wet handling all season tire around. If you get little snow and want a proper handling tire, it is THE choice.

Reactions: KenC
DWS06 are quite good in the snow considering their non-snow performance. One thing that is very misleading about tirerack's ratings are that they're rated for THAT specific category of tire. If you see cross climate tires with a higher dry/wet handling rating compred to dws or as3+ or any ultra high perf all season - that absolutely does not equate to the cross climate being superior. In fact, I'd wager a large amount of money that both dws and as3+ are noticably superior from a "performance" tire standpoint. I'm used to having ultra high perf tires on my cars, and to me, part of the fun of the model 3 is that its very quick, and fun to drive. I'd rather put a performance tire on it than a touring tire. And that's coming from someone that bought a touring tire but will go back to DWS. Sidenote, as3+ are almost unanimously seen as the highest performing dry/wet handling all season tire around. If you get little snow and want a proper handling tire, it is THE choice.

Well said !! TireRack actually gave me the same explanation as yours when I called them about their ratings system and comparing the CrossClimate+, A/S 3+ and the DWS06. I ordered the A/S 3+ over the DWS06 because of faster availability. My NSX had the DWS06 and it was a great tire for that car, unfortunately Continental quit making the size for the front tires....

According to
Chain Controls / Chain Installation | Caltrans

Tires with M+S (mud and snow) stamped on them qualify as snow tread tires and can be used in r2 conditions. I researched and found out that the majority of all seasons have m+s stamped on, including as3+ and dsw06
I'm pretty sure every all-season tire will also have M+S stamped on it; however, just be aware, there's no test for M+S, it's up to the manufacturer to put it on or not. The 3PeakMountainSnowFlake designation must pass a snow tire test.

And as others have stated, the CrossClimate+ is not as performance oriented as the AS3 or DSW06. There's no free lunch. Every tire is a compromise, and you have to choose the one that suits your climate the best.

And as others have stated, the CrossClimate+ is not as performance oriented as the AS3 or DSW06. There's no free lunch. Every tire is a compromise, and you have to choose the one that suits your climate the best.

For what it's worth (to other people), your answer is relative to OP having the Pilot Sport 4S tires.

The CrossClimate+ tires are generally an upgrade from the Primacy MXM4 tires in everything except efficiency and road noise.

And in general even with MXM4 tires this car isn't traction limited in dry conditions.