Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Bike Rack for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to numerous threads on this forum and info from Tesla the maximum weight capacity of the trailer hitch (the 2" Bosal hitch that comes when the full tow pkg) when using it to carry any type of rack/cargo/wheelchair/etc... is 120lbs. They base this off of a premise that the stress induced via some kind of rack is proportionally more significant than when the weight that is applied as part of a trailer.

Based on this info, anyone hauling 3 or more bikes or a couple of electric bicycles may need to re-evaluate their setup. And those carrying two bikes with an inexpensive heavy rack and a couple of cheap heavy beach cruisers may also need to take a second look.

Click here to read through the entire thread...

From TMC member @bjm

"The Tesla Model X hitch is rated at 5000 lbs. GTW (gross trailer weight) with 500 lbs. TW (tongue weight). This is with the 20-inch wheels. With the 22 inch wheel option, the hitch rating drops to 3500 lbs. GTW/300 lbs. TW.

However for carrying bikes, it is only rated for 120 lbs., (55kg) or 2 bicycles.

This is because the loads are different when carrying vs. towing. Towing weight is supported also by the trailer suspension and wheels. Bikes and cargo are unsprung weight, supported only by the tow hitch and vehicle frame.

These ratings were requested by Tesla and determined by exhaustive US SAE (static) testing and EU CARLOS ECE R55 (dynamic fatigue) testing.

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
@ryantank Where do you see the tongue weight limit is 120lbs?

I asked Tesla whether it is 120 or 500lbs. Their reply:

Thanks for contacting Tesla vehicle support.

The maximum vertical loading weight is 120LB for Model X. The 120LB weight limit is a standard for the vehicle regardless if you have towing package or are using an accessory hitch. (which is no longer available)
I pressed further and they replied:
The tongue weight is a measure of force and not an actual weight that is on the hitch and that is why the tongue weight is a larger number than max weight.

Basically 500lbs dead weight is going to put more than 500lbs of force on the hitch when bouncing about over bumps.

I was using my old bike rack from Sports Chalet that I last used on my 2004 MDX (since my 2014 didn't have a hitch). I bought a new bike last weekend and almost lost it on the freeway. I had the rear camera enabled on the 17-inch or else I wouldn't have seen this happen:

This kind of rack is really meant to be used with bikes with proper "top tubes". I would suggest getting one of THESE if you plan on carrying that bike on that rack. This goes for all racks that carry bikes by the top tube, and bikes without proper top tubes.

Cheers!

Reactions: K-MTG and vandacca
This kind of rack is really meant to be used with bikes with proper "top tubes". I would suggest getting one of THESE if you plan on carrying that bike on that rack. This goes for all racks that carry bikes by the top tube, and bikes without proper top tubes.

Cheers!

Appreciate the info! Do you have any rack recommendations? Would the Tesla rack support my bikes? It's extremely difficult to place 4 bikes on my current rack

Attachments

• IMG_2393.JPG
    IMG_2393.JPG
    571.7 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_2389.JPG
    IMG_2389.JPG
    650.4 KB · Views: 180
How is this rack working out for you? I was considering the 1UP rack but it totaled $950 for 4 bikes.
It's been working fine so far. I went for this one because it was the most reasonably priced tray style rack I could find. I was looking to buy a Yakima but all our bikes need adapters with a regular hanging bike rack and I didn't want to spend a thousand dollars on some of the alternatives out there. We don't ride bikes that much, so for the occasional outings it works very well. After reading some of the comments in this thread about the weight limits, I'm a little concerned, but not really sure what alternatives I have. I only install the bike rack when we want to go biking and leave it off most of the time. (Says something about how often I ride :) )

It's been working fine so far. I went for this one because it was the most reasonably priced tray style rack I could find. I was looking to buy a Yakima but all our bikes need adapters with a regular hanging bike rack and I didn't want to spend a thousand dollars on some of the alternatives out there. We don't ride bikes that much, so for the occasional outings it works very well. After reading some of the comments in this thread about the weight limits, I'm a little concerned, but not really sure what alternatives I have. I only install the bike rack when we want to go biking and leave it off most of the time. (Says something about how often I ride :) )

The weight at 40 pounds seems very reasonable. The alternatives were 80 pounds. Is there enough room to prevent pedals and handle bars from touching each other?
I ordered it from amazon but it states it will take 1-2 months for it to arrive

The weight at 40 pounds seems very reasonable. The alternatives were 80 pounds. Is there enough room to prevent pedals and handle bars from touching each other?
I ordered it from amazon but it states it will take 1-2 months for it to arrive
It's a bit tight, but we were able to fit two adult bikes and two kids bikes without taking anything apart. We realized after the fact that we had installed the trays in the opposite direction that the way they were supposed to go. I think once we flip them around it might be bit easier. Also, alternating bike orientations can help.
I'd suggest checking Amazon regularly - when I first saw this rack the shipping was 1-2 months. I jut happened to search another time and a different seller that had a few in stock. I bought it from AutoTruck Toys : AutoTruckToys @ Amazon.com:

I use a Thule Parkway rack. It weighs 27lbs which leaves just enough remaining weight for 4 23lbs bikes. Just droves 187 miles with no issues. It would be nice for Tesla to move the sign posts at SCs back 6 inches, the charge dongle was stretched.

Thanks for the pics. I have a similar Thule model. We've just used to take bikes to local parks. Good to know that I might be able to squeeze into Superchargers with a loaded bike rack for future long distance trips.

Appreciate the info! Do you have any rack recommendations? Would the Tesla rack support my bikes? It's extremely difficult to place 4 bikes on my current rack
Gah! Sorry I didn't come back and respond sooner!

It sounds like you found one that will work and not break the bank. As you found, the, what I like to call, "tray style" racks that cradle the wheels, are a much sturdier way to carry bikes with odd top tubes. I have the 1Up myself, but that's because I'm a serious bike geek with lots of carbon fiber bikes in my garage so I was looking for and willing to pay for the sturdiest rack available.

Cheers!

Reactions: vandacca