Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Dashcam for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blackvue is the way to go. Iv installed so many of them and have yet to see a failure. I was impressed when I was working with a unit that was 4 or 5 years old (older I think) and it was still functioning. Sure you can go cheaper, but I just dont trust them. I have had the a119 fail on me before. You really dont hear of many failures despite but what you are reading in this thread. People only comment on something when it fails.

Fact is a camera is cheap and inexpensive. Its making it last in the blazing sun, running 24/7 is where the R&D and build quality kick in

Blackvues sd cards are horrible though. First thing to fail. Iv seen quite a few of those happen but not with the camera itself.

Before anyone tells me you don't need 4K for a DashCam, if I am depending on the BlackVue, it is because I need greater clarity than what TeslaCam offers and I want as many pixels as possible for deciphering a license plate.
That was my reasoning for selecting Blackvue's 4K dashcam. I paid $500 for it with a 128 GB Blackvue-brand SD card. During my warranty period, the camera burned out two of these SD cards, having to be replaced by Blackvue. Slightly after my one-year warranty, the main camera unit, itself, literally burned out, leaving an oily residue on my windshield. That camera runs so hot that you can barely touch it.

Now, my entire $500 expense is wasted. I wouldn't buy another Blackvue unit. Blackvue's distributor for the eastern U.S. dropped them because they were overwhelmed with the warranty-support costs. Strangely, Blackvue didn't seem to know that they has lost their distributor months before and I had to fight with support team in Korea to get my second SD card replaced, as they kept telling me I had to go through my distributor. I was still awaiting receipt of my replacement card when my main unit burned up (I was using another brand card at the time while awaiting my replacement).

• Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid
That was my reasoning for selecting Blackvue's 4K dashcam. I paid $500 for it with a 128 GB Blackvue-brand SD card. During my warranty period, the camera burned out two of these SD cards, having to be replaced by Blackvue. Slightly after my one-year warranty, the main camera unit, itself, literally burned out, leaving an oily residue on my windshield. That camera runs so hot that you can barely touch it.

Now, my entire $500 expense is wasted. I wouldn't buy another Blackvue unit. Blackvue's distributor for the eastern U.S. dropped them because they were overwhelmed with the warranty-support costs. Strangely, Blackvue didn't seem to know that they has lost their distributor months before and I had to fight with support team in Korea to get my second SD card replaced, as they kept telling me I had to go through my distributor. I was still awaiting receipt of my replacement card when my main unit burned up (I was using another brand card at the time while awaiting my replacement).

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm thinking I should wait for the next Blackvue model. Have heard so many stories about the units running hot and failing. Seems they are pushing what the current chips can do with 4K video so I'm hoping the next generation of cameras will be more robust.

I looked up some sample videos of the IRO camera and it does not look that good with video quality.

So what is currently a good alternative to these blackvue cams? What's the general opinion on Thinkware? (I have an older model and it works just fine even in a blazing TX summer, but their software is total garbage and mine records only 1080p)

Reactions: PhilDavid
I guess we are all looking for a quality, discrete, reliable 4K dash cam...

I think all the overheating stores are a limitation of the current architecture so I'm hoping we will see a new line of dash cams next year built on a chip that can better handle 4K video.

What I like about BlackVue is their software and the fact that can you buy a mount that attaches to the Tesla rear view mirror assembly making it all look stock with nothing sticking to the glass.

Reactions: cucubits
My second BlackVue died in 3 years. Won’t buy another. Waiting to hear about repair costs, if they will even look at a 16 month old DS900
When the second camera died, I was told to contact a distributor, who suggested that I try to do a direct connection with the "cigarette" adaptor cable into the corresponding "outlet". (Sorry I don't know, remember the terms). Both cameras worked! Months later, the cameras worked in the usual mounted position, too!

When the second camera died, I was told to contact a distributor, who suggested that I try to do a direct connection with the "cigarette" adaptor cable into the corresponding "outlet". (Sorry I don't know, remember the terms). Both cameras worked! Months later, the cameras worked in the usual mounted position, too!

thanks. I’ll try it. I did measure the voltage at the hardwired power cable, but perhaps there is something funny with it.

FYI I just a had a $180(+$15 s/h + tx) offer accepted by the below seller

IRO Dashcam for Tesla Model S AP1 6970052220067 | eBay

Cool. Thanks. Got one at $180 also. Was auto-accepted, so someone else might try lower...

will try this and see if my BlackVue can be repaired. Might end up with two dash cams up my sleeve...

Just offered $170 to the IRO Dashcam listed above which was auto-accepted as well. Should have tried even lower!

Let us know when you get it and what your impressions are.

I installed an AP1 version of IRO and it works except that LuckyCam on my iphone doesn't see it. Even after I switch on wifi to connect to the camera, the luckycam app sees that wifi is connected to the IRO wifi SSID, but it still says connect wifi and turn on camera and video photo icons are greyed out in the app.

When I do take out the microSd card, the video recordings are all there, I just can't see the live feed or access the recorded files without reading the microSD cardon a PC.

Does anyone know how to access the camera through a webbrowser or if it has any other means to connect to besides LuckyCam?

no go. Still dead. At least the out-of-warranty repair fee is only $50 plus shipping to Korea and all the delays...

During installation (1) take a voltage meter and measure the red/orange back connections and ensure you have ~12V there. (2) after you push in the wires from the IRO dashcam, make sure the blue button is flashing slowly. If it's not, try a long press to turn it on. Until that blue light is slowly flashing, the camera is not powered properly - the inserted cable may not be reaching the actual bare wires of the hot (red/orange) or ground (black). Retry. Then takeout the microSd and check the video clips on a PC . (3) It's a lot more difficult to take out the dashcam than the tesla cover, but not impossible, so it's better to make sure everything is working before you put it back in,.

I installed an AP1 version of IRO and it works except that LuckyCam on my iphone doesn't see it. Even after I switch on wifi to connect to the camera, the luckycam app sees that wifi is connected to the IRO wifi SSID, but it still says connect wifi and turn on camera and video photo icons are greyed out in the app.

When I do take out the microSd card, the video recordings are all there, I just can't see the live feed or access the recorded files without reading the microSD cardon a PC.

Does anyone know how to access the camera through a webbrowser or if it has any other means to connect to besides LuckyCam?
You can access the camera through a browser, I believe the default IP is 192.168.1.254. I was able to get the luckycam app to work on my AP1 version and android phone. I wired it to always on power then put a wireless remote switch between the cam and power so I could turn it off an on with homelink (On/off takes up two homelink spots on the switch that I bought.) That gives the ability for always on when I want it...