Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model S worth it over the Highland M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife who's not really much into the details of cars much initially didn't understand what was different in a MSP from a 3/Y. It looked and worked like a Tesla to her. But after having driven and rode in it, she now understands how much more comfortable, fast, and usable it is. We have MYP (with the new "comfort suspension") and she never realized how much better the suspension is in the MSP over rough roads until riding in it.

The best way to relate the two is like a BMW M3 vs M5--except now the current M3 is the size of a past M5.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I owned my 2019 model 3 for 5 years and put about 100k miles on it. It was time for a replacement due to the glaring "low quality"ness of the interior, truly heinous suspension, NVH, etc. Rattled like an '85 dodge omni. All this basically made it too embarrassing to use for work (which occasionally involves carting around VIP clients).

When considering a replacement, I drove:

Model 3 Highland - NVH and suspension quality greatly improved over the older model 3--this update was exactly what the car needed. What the car didn't need, however, is an interior that feels even more "young/hip" (i.e. downscale) than it's predecessor, grey denim everywhere instead of wood/leather/alcantara, and the damn turn signal buttons. I'll never agree that this was a reasonable decision by Tesla and I'll fight to the death defending my opinion. Plus model 3 is basically the most common car on the road these days, so any brand cache it may have had 5 years ago is gone.

BMW i4 - VERY nice interior, great ride quality, much better handling than the model 3. Looks like a normal BMW outside and inside--not attention grabbing in any way, which is a good thing. Really cramped back seat. Despite being a really good platform, can't touch tesla range with a ten foot pole, so the value proposition is relatively weak. If in-town commuting and near-home canyon carving was the only use case, this would be a strong contender, but shorter range and no supercharging means you're not going to take medium/long trips in it.

Model y - Pretty much all the complaints about the older model 3 still apply here. Loud, bouncy, rattling econobox feel. This car also needs a highland update.

USED model S - 2020 long range. Still has turn signal and wiper stalks, really presentable high-quality interior, great ride quality. A bit numb and not very engaging in the handling department, but definitely competent. Enough range to take on a ski trip without breaking a sweat. A little too big for my tastes, but perfect size for work. The price I paid is a little less than a brand new model 3 long range, but I feel I got A LOT more car for the money. I'm satisfied.

I will say that if impressing the Jonses wasn't part of my job description, I would still probably be content with the 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: TBrownTX and pep_dj
I wouldn’t take the Plaid Model S over the previous Performance Model 3, much less the new one.

Rent a Plaid for a week, as I did, and drive the balls off it. Fast, sure, but drives like a giant boat. My Cybertruck literally feels more nimble and playful than a Model S. Also, I stand by my opinion that the Model S, even with the refresh, still feels like an extremely outdated vehicle. It’s an outstanding vehicle but none the less outdated.
I expected that everyone who downvoted this has driven extensively a Model S Plaid, a Cybertruck, and a Performance Model 3. Otherwise, unlike myself, your options are based on emotions and not reality.

Reactions: Cheburashka
I expected that everyone who downvoted this has driven extensively a Model S Plaid, a Cybertruck, and a Performance Model 3. Otherwise, unlike myself, your options are based on emotions and not reality.
I think trying to compare the steer by wire system in the CT to the traditional MS and comparing nimbleness in the same sentence automatically negates the opinion. I would expect the truck to feel more nimble since the steering input alone is probably 1/3 of the input

From someone who daily drove a 2023 M3P for a year and ditched it for a 2021 Plaid......

The 3 is what it is in terms of suspension(partially addressed by the Highland), handling, ride comfort, etc... I liken it to a Civic, it just does what it does, and fundamentally it always feels like the same old car whether you're commuting, going on a trip, drag racing, or carting your in-laws around.

The S, specifically the Plaid, is like having 4 or 5 vehicles in one. It can cruise down the highway in silence, destroy pretty much anything at the drag strip, be taken out into the canyons or on a road course(where it performs EXTREMELY well), driven everyday in whichever suspension configuration you choose. has more room, a much better interior, and just plain looks better. The 3P is a wonderfully simple performance bargain, but if you have the funds to buy a new or used S, especially a Plaid, I personally would not consider any 3. Great used LR's are in the 40's, and very nice low-mile Plaids are in the mid 60's.

Simply driving a thing doesn’t make your argument completely logical and fact based. In fact, buying a cybertruck tends to argue against one making decisions based on logic or fact.

Simply having rear wheel steering does make a car feel like it has a shorter wheelbase. If that’s what you mean by ‘nimble’, fine. But if you want the fastest Tesla in a straight line and around a track… there’s only one answer. And it’s not a cybertruck or model 3

I just read this thread from the beginning and I have to ask, am I the only one who test drove a highland 3 LR and a MS LR back to back and found the 3 to be the quieter car? I mean until you enable the active sound reduction in the S, but that’s headache inducing for me and for my fiancée so it would have to remain switched off.

I did come away wanting to buy an S and not a 3 that day, however.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I just read this thread from the beginning and I have to ask, am I the only one who test drove a highland 3 LR and a MS LR back to back and found the 3 to be the quieter car? I mean until you enable the active sound reduction in the S, but that’s headache inducing for me and for my fiancée so it would have to remain switched off.

I did come away wanting to buy an S and not a 3 that day, however.
It was exactly the other way around for me, i went to buy model 3 highland, was waiting for it from last 2 years, wasn't satisfied with it, test drove model s. Had to go with model S.

model 3 was slightly quieter maybe but there was huge difference in ride quality, suspension system, overall comfort and quality.

Yes the price bump was huge but it is definitely worth it for me with the new decreased prices.

Reactions: Sellout and terranx