Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model S worth it over the Highland M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If someone walked up to me with 3 card keys and said that one was for a Model S, one a Model 3, and one a Model Y, pick one, it's free. I would have to think hard between the Model Y and the Model 3 (especially newer refresh than the S).

I'll admit that I have a Model 3 and Model Y. There are things in the Model S that just don't make me as happy.

• Disagree
Reactions: zivac87
If someone walked up to me with 3 card keys and said that one was for a Model S, one a Model 3, and one a Model Y, pick one, it's free. I would have to think hard between the Model Y and the Model 3 (especially newer refresh than the S).

I'll admit that I have a Model 3 and Model Y. There are things in the Model S that just don't make me as happy.
The stalks? That's already in the 3 and coming the Y.

Otherwise it's a better car in all aspects...maybe outside of handling, but my MS handles way better than the MY.

MS is superior in acceleration, speed, charging speed, range, comfort, handling, screens, gaming, audio, storage.

That's just an odd statement to make. It's like you are justifying that you don't have a MS..."If someone offered me something way nicer for free, I wouldn't take it".

I will put my two sense in here. I have owned a 2021 3LR and a 2022 3LR. The 3LR is a quick, great handling car that will keep putting a smile on your face for years to come on those winding roads and when you go to pass a person being a jerk. It does however have its limitations.

that handling comes with a price. The suspension. It is rough and bouncy. 18 inch wheels help a bit but it can be annoying especially on roads that are not well paved
it has a traditional sedan trunk that everyone has touched upon in here which is great for the single person that does not have much to haul. When you have a family then that changes.
no matter which way we look at it, it is an amazing sporty commuter car, and it is meant to get you into the brand.

the 2021 was given to a family member who in exchange gave us a 2020 x long range plus because we needed a new family hauler. he traded the 3 in on a new model X

the 2022 was unfortunately totaled in a rear end accident while parked. A 2023 y took its place as the settlement was not enough to purchase an additional X.

After owning the 3 X and Y, and having a loner S given on several occasions, I could say very clearly that the 3/Y platform have different missions then the S/X

at 48 I value the confort more then the sporty feeling which is where the S/X shine. That air suspension is amazing and the seats are way more comfortable. Personally I will be trading up in the next 4 to 5 years as the S/X is where I want to be.

The moral of my rant is that each set has a different mission and is attractive to a different crowd.

I will put my two sense in here. I have owned a 2021 3LR and a 2022 3LR. The 3LR is a quick, great handling car that will keep putting a smile on your face for years to come on those winding roads and when you go to pass a person being a jerk. It does however have its limitations.

that handling comes with a price. The suspension. It is rough and bouncy. 18 inch wheels help a bit but it can be annoying especially on roads that are not well paved
it has a traditional sedan trunk that everyone has touched upon in here which is great for the single person that does not have much to haul. When you have a family then that changes.
no matter which way we look at it, it is an amazing sporty commuter car, and it is meant to get you into the brand.

the 2021 was given to a family member who in exchange gave us a 2020 x long range plus because we needed a new family hauler. he traded the 3 in on a new model X

the 2022 was unfortunately totaled in a rear end accident while parked. A 2023 y took its place as the settlement was not enough to purchase an additional X.

After owning the 3 X and Y, and having a loner S given on several occasions, I could say very clearly that the 3/Y platform have different missions then the S/X

at 48 I value the confort more then the sporty feeling which is where the S/X shine. That air suspension is amazing and the seats are way more comfortable. Personally I will be trading up in the next 4 to 5 years as the S/X is where I want to be.

The moral of my rant is that each set has a different mission and is attractive to a different crowd.
Model S air suspension FTW

Supposedly the performance 3 seats leaked. It would be nice to see something like this in the S
IMG_0384.jpeg

Model 3's ride isn't worse because it doesn't have air suspension - it has low-cost, lower-quality, non-adaptive dampers, specified and priced so that they'll be "good enough" for a car that sells almost half a million units per year. And then they make you jack the air pressure in the tires up to 45 point jesus pounds per square inch. My FIL had an S 85 and it rode amazingly well on its steel-springs.

Air springs are generally on cars that ride well by default, big heavy long-wheelbase things, and so people seem to associate air ride with good ride - not so. See e.g., Lucid or countless other cars that ride great with steel springs and *good* damping and tuning. A taller wheel/tire that is less influenced by small bumps and dips can make a big difference too - S rides on a 1" larger diameter tire than Model 3, and that size difference is baked in, so that's a real difference you can't easily fix on Model 3 without other compromises.

But well-tuned adaptive dampers, or just a good high-quality damper, are the big difference. If Model 3 Performance gets adaptive dampers, but still has steel springs, I wouldn't be surprised if it has significantly better ride/handling balance than the base 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Destiny1701
Model 3's ride isn't worse because it doesn't have air suspension - it has low-cost, lower-quality, non-adaptive dampers, specified and priced so that they'll be "good enough" for a car that sells almost half a million units per year. And then they make you jack the air pressure in the tires up to 45 point jesus pounds per square inch. My FIL had an S 85 and it rode amazingly well on its steel-springs.

Air springs are generally on cars that ride well by default, big heavy long-wheelbase things, and so people seem to associate air ride with good ride - not so. See e.g., Lucid or countless other cars that ride great with steel springs and *good* damping and tuning. A taller wheel/tire that is less influenced by small bumps and dips can make a big difference too - S rides on a 1" larger diameter tire than Model 3, and that size difference is baked in, so that's a real difference you can't easily fix on Model 3 without other compromises.

But well-tuned adaptive dampers, or just a good high-quality damper, are the big difference. If Model 3 Performance gets adaptive dampers, but still has steel springs, I wouldn't be surprised if it has significantly better ride/handling balance than the base 3.
Well yeah.... of course there are mods.... but, rolling off the lot the Model S rides better.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1windy and SilverGS
I'm not talking about mods, I'm talking about why some cars ride better than others, and why that's not just because air suspension. You can set your watch to people showing up in every "which car" thread chirping about how if only Model 3 had air suspension it would ride well enough to be a good alternative to Model S ... that's hogwash

In similar dilemma,
If comparing for ride comfort, which one has better suspension? (from perspective of ride comfort)

Model S has way better suspension compared to old model 3. But given there has been lot of improvement in refresh/highland M3, I am not sure which one has better ride comfort.

Also, I am worried about general reliability issues and breakdowns of model S. (Some people describing it as a 100k lottery)

In similar dilemma,
If comparing for ride comfort, which one has better suspension? (from perspective of ride comfort)

Model S has way better suspension compared to old model 3. But given there has been lot of improvement in refresh/highland M3, I am not sure which one has better ride comfort.

Also, I am worried about general reliability issues and breakdowns of model S. (Some people describing it as a 100k lottery)
I don’t think there will be any comparison in air suspension vs spring and shock when it comes to comfort no matter how much suspension tweaking is done

Reactions: zivac87
I don’t think there will be any comparison in air suspension vs spring and shock when it comes to comfort no matter how much suspension tweaking is done
I see some people mentioning that air suspension by default doesn't mean a massive improvement in ride quality. (@Richbot )
I am not able to find any reviews on youtube for this as highland is very new in NA.

I test drove both of them, model s might have felt bit better but test-drive was really short.

I am not sure if there was a massive appreciable difference b/w the two, maybe I was expecting lot more from model s when it comes to ride comfort.

I will gladly choose model S if suspension and ride comfort is lot better and someone has driven/tested both.

Get Model 3.
Get this : Sports Tesla Model 3 Coilovers for AWD & Performance
Profit?

You'll have a car that's better than a Model S in all the meaningful ways. Will the screen wiggle around? No, but at least you'll have FSD on that non wiggly screen instead of tucked tiny behind the steering wheel. There are a lot of ways that the S is superior on paper but when you live with them, 3 all day.

• Disagree
Reactions: terranx
Get Model 3.
Get this : Sports Tesla Model 3 Coilovers for AWD & Performance
Profit?

You'll have a car that's better than a Model S in all the meaningful ways. Will the screen wiggle around? No, but at least you'll have FSD on that non wiggly screen instead of tucked tiny behind the steering wheel. There are a lot of ways that the S is superior on paper but when you live with them, 3 all day.
I feel like meaningful ways is heavily subjective

I feel like meaningful ways is heavily subjective
Agreed.

Model S is a touring sport sedan/hatchback
Model 3 is a compact sport sedan
Differe’t animals. Yes…the new 3 seems to be catching up in feature set. Doesn’t mean they are cross shop-able.

Ie. the Toyota Corolla comes with heated, perforated seats, all the safety tech, adaptive cruise, sunroof, Apple car play, wireless charging, nice navi screens, audio etc. So does its Lexus cousin. Doesn’t make them the same product because they share feature sets. 😉

Reactions: Ethan Ryczek