Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model S worth it over the Highland M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get Model 3.
Get this : Sports Tesla Model 3 Coilovers for AWD & Performance
Profit?

You'll have a car that's better than a Model S in all the meaningful ways. Will the screen wiggle around? No, but at least you'll have FSD on that non wiggly screen instead of tucked tiny behind the steering wheel. There are a lot of ways that the S is superior on paper but when you live with them, 3 all day.
Hi,
I am not looking for around the turn performance per say.
Just looking for the best ride quality and comfort, reduced bumps etc. 😅

While they are very different classes of vehicle and different sizes, I do struggle to see the value in spending nearly twice as much for the Model S. The new Model 3 is extremely nice and feels great.

Considering the major price gap, I personally would pick a 3 over an S and here is why:
  • Model 3 is just refreshed. It will be "current" longer. The S was refreshed a few years back and it is generally a much older platform.
  • There are far less things to go wrong in the Model 3. The S has problems with door handles, acceleration shudder, etc..
  • The rear seats on the S are very nice and perhaps a bit more spacious than the 3, but in practice, neither of them are very comfortable. You still have your knees up in the Model S and feet barely fit under the front seats, if at all.
  • Ambient lighting - the 3 has it right now, the S is allegedly getting it, but it doesn't have it yet. It adds a nice touch at night.
  • Everything about the Model 3 is going to be less expensive short and long-term.
  • Depreciation is going to hurt much less on a 3 than an S.
  • The 3 is, overall, just an incredible value.
This isn't the same conversation as a Model Y vs Model X. Those are dramatically different from each than a 3 and an S.

I am a current M3P owner. I really love my car, and there's very little I would change about it. However I will be trading it in on a MS LR.

I took a '23 Model S out for a test drive and was very impressed. It outdoes the Model 3 in every way. Larger screen, ventilated seals, faster computer, instrument cluster, better audio, air suspension, more range, speed, more room, upscale interior, and on and on.

I purchased the m3P because it's fun, but coming from a luxury brand, it needs more inside. It's just missing something, and to me, the S has that something. One other thing is I never found the Model 3 to be an attractive car. Honestly, it's homely. That S is one sexy, sleek, low-slung machine, and even though the design is aging, it's just a better-looking car. Then there's that new red.

The Highland improves on the current model quite a bit, but not enough to tip the scales for me. The Model S rumored minor refresh, which includes the LED lighting and front bumper camera, will also be excellent additions.

I wish there were a few more models to choose from, but for now, I will much enjoy a Model S. But I will miss my 3 a little bit.

I’d have to drive a new Perf 3 against an S LR. Diff animals and diff driving characteristics for sure.

Like the 3 for point and shoot handling, sheer enjoyment to drive.

Like the S for comfort, refinement, space and looks.
I guess it depends on where you come from. Perhaps the 3 has sharper handling than the S (though driving side by side I’m not really convinced, the S’ better suspension and wider tires go a long way towards making up for that). But compared to a good handling ICE it still feels like a boat

I guess it depends on where you come from. Perhaps the 3 has sharper handling than the S (though driving side by side I’m not really convinced, the S’ better suspension and wider tires go a long way towards making up for that). But compared to a good handling ICE it still feels like a boat
In all the years I’ve owned a Tesla (S 3 X and Y), I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of anyone referencing a Performance M3 as a boat lol 😂 MS? Yes sir agreed 💯 there.

But the PM3? It’s literally point and shoot without much wobble or suspension play with a good set of summer rubbers on 20’s.

I’ve been lucky to drive S and 3 and I can say hands down the S feels softer with more lateral bounce than a 3 any day of the week. More comfortable and refined? For sure.

In all the years I’ve owned a Tesla (S 3 X and Y), I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of anyone referencing a Performance M3 as a boat lol 😂 MS? Yes sir agreed 💯 there.

But the PM3? It’s literally point and shoot without much wobble or suspension play with a good set of summer rubbers on 20’s.

I’ve been lucky to drive S and 3 and I can say hands down the S feels softer with more lateral bounce than a 3 any day of the week. More comfortable and refined? For sure.
I own both still. I stand by my impression. Model 3 is very floaty and understeers like no one’s business when you push it.

Reactions: Sellout and Cheetah
I’m reopening this discussion in light of the recent release of the new Model 3 Performance. I currently own a 2023 Model 3 Performance but am considering upgrading to the new model due to its purportedly smoother ride and superior build quality.

I’m also contemplating the Model S. Despite its higher cost and distinct class, I'm able to afford it, though I prefer to invest wisely. Here’s my current take on both models:
  • Model 3:
    • Pros: Excellent value, smaller and easier to manage, ambient lighting
    • Cons: Limited range, active suspension doesn’t allow height adjustments risking frequent scrapes.
  • Model S:
    • Pros: Thrilling acceleration, enhanced ride quality with adjustable suspension height (less scrapes).
    • Cons: Nearly twice as expensive in my country, with many units reportedly suffering from quality issues such as poor fittings and rattles, making it a risky pick.
With the introduction of the new Model 3 Performance, how do you think it now compares to the Model S in terms of value and overall experience?

Last edited:
I’m reopening this discussion in light of the recent release of the new Model 3 Performance. I currently own a 2023 Model 3 Performance but am considering upgrading to the new model due to its purportedly smoother ride and superior build quality.

I’m also contemplating the Model S. Despite its higher cost and distinct class, I'm able to afford it, though I prefer to invest wisely. Here’s my current take on both models:
  • Model 3:
    • Cons: Limited range, active suspension doesn’t allow height adjustments risking frequent scrapes.
  • Model S:
    • Pros: Thrilling acceleration, enhanced ride quality with adjustable suspension height (less scrapes).
    • Cons: Nearly twice as expensive in my country, with many units reportedly suffering from quality issues such as poor fittings and rattles, making it a risky pick.
With the introduction of the new Model 3 Performance, how do you think it now compares to the Model S in terms of value and overall experience?

No change to my opinion shared in pot #65 above, while the Highland MP3 moves the ball, it's a different class of vehicle.

Tim

I wouldn’t take the Plaid Model S over the previous Performance Model 3, much less the new one.

Rent a Plaid for a week, as I did, and drive the balls off it. Fast, sure, but drives like a giant boat. My Cybertruck literally feels more nimble and playful than a Model S. Also, I stand by my opinion that the Model S, even with the refresh, still feels like an extremely outdated vehicle. It’s an outstanding vehicle but none the less outdated.

I wouldn’t take the Plaid Model S over the previous Performance Model 3, much less the new one.

Rent a Plaid for a week, as I did, and drive the balls off it. Fast, sure, but drives like a giant boat. My Cybertruck literally feels more nimble and playful than a Model S. Also, I stand by my opinion that the Model S, even with the refresh, still feels like an extremely outdated vehicle. It’s an outstanding vehicle but none the less outdated.
To each their own, but I couldn't disagree more. The Model S is a different class of car than a M3. Even vs. the Highland it's quieter, faster, nicer inside, smoother, much larger interior, and has more range.

Every time I get in my MY or a M3, I miss the screen in front of the wheel, the UI with having two screens, the storage space, and interior design.

The MSLR, IMO, is the best overall Tesla vehicle. It has slightly better performance than the M3P (we'll see the 1/4 mile times of the new M3P), has the most range in the lineup, and the 2nd best interior next to the MX.

To each their own, but I couldn't disagree more. The Model S is a different class of car than a M3. Even vs. the Highland it's quieter, faster, nicer inside, smoother, much larger interior, and has more range.

Every time I get in my MY or a M3, I miss the screen in front of the wheel, the UI with having two screens, the storage space, and interior design.

The MSLR, IMO, is the best overall Tesla vehicle. It has slightly better performance than the M3P (we'll see the 1/4 mile times of the new M3P), has the most range in the lineup, and the 2nd best interior next to the MX.
I will admit I Loved our MYP…. Until I bought a MSP. Now I despise driving that car when I have to drive it vs the MSP. Just a completely different level in comparison. The MY and M3 (for me) are “I wish I had a MS choice cars”. They are nice, but not comparable.

I will admit I Loved our MYP…. Until I bought a MSP. Now I despise driving that car when I have to drive it vs the MSP. Just a completely different level in comparison. The MY and M3 (for me) are “I wish I had a MS choice cars”. They are nice, but not comparable.
Yeah I'm about the same with the M3P. It's still overall a decent car, but no way I could go back. S is just on another level.

I've had a M3 (shortly)and 2 MYs and when I got the MS...no one in my house will drive the MY willingly. It's like comparing a Civic to a Lexus, but the biggest issue I have with the MY is the terrible highway range.

Luckily the MY is being replaced by a MX.

• Model 3:
  • Model S:

If you have an unlimited budget, then why not get both.

If you have a limited budget, then how limited is it and is it really a good idea to switch vehicles yearly.

Don't compare fit and finish, the vast majority of Tesla have great fit and finish.

Don't not list Thrilling acceleration for a Model 3P or even a Model 3. (I've freaked many people out with a Model 3 LR RWD's acceleration)

If you have an unlimited budget, then why not get both.
Of course, I don't have an unlimited budget.
If you have a limited budget, then how limited is it and is it really a good idea to switch vehicles yearly.
Don't plan to switch vehicles yearly. Just searching a softer ride and less rattles (and great acceleration).

Don't compare fit and finish, the vast majority of Tesla have great fit and finish.
I've read many complaints on this forum about the build quality of the Model S.

Don't not list Thrilling acceleration for a Model 3P or even a Model 3. (I've freaked many people out with a Model 3 LR RWD's acceleration)
Perhaps the M3 acceleration is also thrilling. But MS acceleration is insanely thrilling.