Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model S worth it over the Highland M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you need to drive both, they are two very different cars. MS is slightly bigger, faster, more mileage on battery warranty and has the second screen in front of the driver, but you have to buy it used if you want to get into the same price range.

It’s the Toyota vs Lexus conundrum, you know that many of the pieces are the same, but they just feel different.

Man, seems like you've never driven a Model S right after test driving a Model 3.

Driver screen, the wider body, the interior space and rear trunk space, as well as premium ownership and driving experience alone make the Model S worth way more than Model 3. I don't see how anyone would cross-shop the Model 3 along with the Model S, unless it was for budget reasons. The Model S is just on a completely different level compared to Model 3.

Man, seems like you've never driven a Model S right after test driving a Model 3.

Driver screen, the wider body, the interior space and rear trunk space, as well as premium ownership and driving experience alone make the Model S worth way more than Model 3. I don't see how anyone would cross-shop the Model 3 along with the Model S, unless it was for budget reasons. The Model S is just on a completely different level compared to Model 3.
100% correct. Had a loaner m3P very nice car, but in no way did it compare to model S overall.

Is the refresh Model S “Palladium” worth it over a “Highland” Model 3? All I can think of is the Model S has air suspension but if you can think of any other differences please let me know!
Clearly you haven't seen a Model S to ask this question.

This would be the same as asking if a Range Rover SVR sport is worth it over a Range Rover Evoque. Or if a BMW M5 is worth it over an M2.

Completely different classes of vehicle.

They are different cars with different price points.
I like my Model 3 better, I don't like a steering wheel display. If you look at a Model Y, there's a little more room.

Whether it is the refresh or not doesn't tend to matter that much. It doesn't even impact resale prices.

Agree. I've driven all of them (not highland Model 3 of course) and love the Model S. Fix the steering wheel and a few minor things and it's an amazing car.

I don't agree with the Toyota vs Lexus comparison, but I do agree the two cars are fundamentally different vehicles.

Model 3 is smaller overall size, more nimble, so more responsive handling but a little stiffer ride.

Model S is more a touring sedan, larger overall size, not as responsive cornering, but softer ride. Model S also has the utility of the rear hatch design with some prefer over the Model 3 more conventional truck setup.

Neither is better or worse in an absolute sense. It gets down to personal preference. If you asked the same question in the Model 3 subforum, I'd think it's likely you'll get a different balance of answers to what you get asking in the Model S subforum. Also the difference of the Model S having the second driver display versus the single center screen, the newest Pladdium platform having the second rear screen.

Whether these differences in a Model S over a Model 3 justify the higher price all comes down to personal preference. There is no absolute right one-size fits all answer. Personally, I'm a Model S person, but I respect those who prefer the Model 3.

Good luck on your decision.

I don’t think there’s a ton of people who have experience with both a model s and the highland so it’s hard to say.

The consensus seems to be that the highland is a real improvement over the original in terms of NVH and fit/finish. Whether that’s at the S level or not, who knows.

The S will still have better suspension, more power, more space, and a proper hatch. The model 3 interior is also a bit too spartan for my tastes.

Closest comparisons will probably be 3 series vs 5 series, A4 vs A6, C-class vs E-class etc.

I drove the new 2023 Model S for an hour and I was simply disappointed on two fronts

i. Delta difference between my 2016 Model S (I've owned since new) and the 2023 Model S was small, imo. For example, the steering wheel felt cheap compared to my 2016. The big advantage of the 2023 is huge range and acceleration, both of which I don't need. I drive more than 99% of people, but even with my 70d down to 330km @ 100% it is completely fine for me as I charge at home at night.

ii. Delta difference between 2023 Model Y RWD and 2023 Model S. Yes, the Model S is better but the Model Y was $45k ($4k inventory discount, plus $8k rebates) is like 90% of the car of the Model S, but for less than 1/2 the price (Model S is 100k in Canada).

In my particular case, affordability a non-issue as I have a 7 figure income but the value proposition of the Model S simply wasn't there for me anymore. When I bought my Model S in early 2016 there were no other options, now you have some great cars including the Model 3/Y. Even these cars are essentially loaded with heated steering wheels, seats, power tailgates/trunks, etc., and it comes down to it "feels nicer," well year it is double the price. To me it doesn't feel twice as nice.

I’ve owned both.
The S is a touring sport sedan, with the ride comfort, premium feel and cargo space of a SUV.

The 3 is a nimble genius level handling/cornering zip car. Fun as hell to drive as a daily.

Personal preference tbh.

Not driven highland but I can assume it’s getting closer to S now that it’s stalkless, perforated seats, dual pane glass all over, stronger sound system. Starting to inch ever so closer to S.

You will need to test drive both to really know. As simple as that. This is theoretical. Big part of this decision is money:
1) If money is no object for you, then I am sure it would be Model s

2) If money was a consideration, I am sure you will make enough rational discoveries to buy a Model 3

I apologize for offending someone.

I’ve owned both.
The S is a touring sport sedan, with the ride comfort, premium feel and cargo space of a SUV.

The 3 is a nimble genius level handling/cornering zip car. Fun as hell to drive as a daily.

Personal preference tbh.

Not driven highland but I can assume it’s getting closer to S now that it’s stalkless, perforated seats, dual pane glass all over, stronger sound system. Starting to inch ever so closer to S.
The next version of the Model S will have to try harder to make the price difference worth it. More than just size of car.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I drove the new 2023 Model S for an hour and I was simply disappointed on two fronts

i. Delta difference between my 2016 Model S (I've owned since new) and the 2023 Model S was small, imo. For example, the steering wheel felt cheap compared to my 2016. The big advantage of the 2023 is huge range and acceleration, both of which I don't need. I drive more than 99% of people, but even with my 70d down to 330km @ 100% it is completely fine for me as I charge at home at night.

ii. Delta difference between 2023 Model Y RWD and 2023 Model S. Yes, the Model S is better but the Model Y was $45k ($4k inventory discount, plus $8k rebates) is like 90% of the car of the Model S, but for less than 1/2 the price (Model S is 100k in Canada).

In my particular case, affordability a non-issue as I have a 7 figure income but the value proposition of the Model S simply wasn't there for me anymore. When I bought my Model S in early 2016 there were no other options, now you have some great cars including the Model 3/Y. Even these cars are essentially loaded with heated steering wheels, seats, power tailgates/trunks, etc., and it comes down to it "feels nicer," well year it is double the price. To me it doesn't feel twice as nice.
I do love the form factor of the S but also felt the Y has gotten so good and the price such that it's tougher to justify. They will have to work on that for next version of Model S to justify the price.

I do love the form factor of the S but also felt the Y has gotten so good and the price such that it's tougher to justify. They will have to work on that for next version of Model S to justify the price.
The less marketable stuff makes the S a much better car. Y feels cheap through and through. Awful suspension, rear seats are like sitting on a park bench, oddly narrow inside, tons of road noise, etc.