Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Deal I have found for winter tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone share what the discount amount is from Kal tire if you join the owners club?
@mknox mentioned that it varies by tire.
Real world: I just got winter tires for my S
245/45R19 Nokian Hakka R3 winter - Tires only, as I have rims,TPMS
Quoted $327.91
With Club discount: $278.73

So, 15% in this instance. About $50/tire plus HST = $222.29. Works for me

Club members get a unique code and letter of introduction that they would produce at any Kal Tire. The discounts vary on depending on the product or service. I bought Nokian Hakkas and Michelin MXM4s from Kal, but before we had the discount, so I am not sure what it is.

I've yet to receive this letter (new member, joined in May). Would be great for this winter season to grab a set of R3's for my Model 3 :)

I posted this in a different thread a couple weeks ago, but you shouldn't need to spend $80/tpms sensor. All you really should need is to ensure the frequency matches the one required for the model 3. For my two previous volts and my wifes bolt I've always bought on ebay by matching the frequency, and never had an issue. This auction even says they are compatible with the model 3:

4x ITM TPMS Uni-Sensors Rubber Snap-In 433MHz for Tesla Model 3 2017-2018 | eBay

Also, some places like crappy tire will charge an additional $30/tire to 'install' the tpms sensors. These ones are rubber snap in fit, so you just pull through the hole in the rim. Super simple. All my previous winter tire sets I bought the rims and TPMS, mounted them myself, then brought them with tires to a shop to install and balance the tires. I'll probably do the same with my model 3 when I finally get it....

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon3
I posted this in a different thread a couple weeks ago, but you shouldn't need to spend $80/tpms sensor. All you really should need is to ensure the frequency matches the one required for the model 3. For my two previous volts and my wifes bolt I've always bought on ebay by matching the frequency, and never had an issue. This auction even says they are compatible with the model 3:

4x ITM TPMS Uni-Sensors Rubber Snap-In 433MHz for Tesla Model 3 2017-2018 | eBay

Also, some places like crappy tire will charge an additional $30/tire to 'install' the tpms sensors. These ones are rubber snap in fit, so you just pull through the hole in the rim. Super simple. All my previous winter tire sets I bought the rims and TPMS, mounted them myself, then brought them with tires to a shop to install and balance the tires. I'll probably do the same with my model 3 when I finally get it....

The OEM equipped TPMS sensors have metal bodies/valves right? The ones you posted a link to are all rubber?

I checked with Oakville SC earlier this week and was quoted $250 ea for Aero rims and $85 ea for TPMS. At the time they had 6 rims in stock. Called today to pull the trigger and they're out. More rims on the way, have placed an order.

Haven't decided on the rubber yet. Considering Michelin X-ice Xi3's. Best price I've found is Canadian Tire at $257 ea. CT will mount and balance for $26 per. Was quoted $1199 by Kal-Tire in Milton installed and balanced for set of 4, which is a little bit more than CT.

Went this morning. The price for the R3 and the Xice are pretty much the same. $1575 all in including sensors, install and tax. That’s with the discount. Rims were insane. None less than $300. Don’t want to spend that for winter rims. Anyone got a lead on a decent set?

One thing though is that neither tire is available with the same speed rating ‘w’ as the stock Michelins. The guy said you should match but you could get away with less. Not sure about this. Anyone want to weigh in on that?

• Informative
Reactions: Ludatik
Went this morning. The price for the R3 and the Xice are pretty much the same. $1575 all in including sensors, install and tax. That’s with the discount. Rims were insane. None less than $300. Don’t want to spend that for winter rims. Anyone got a lead on a decent set?

One thing though is that neither tire is available with the same speed rating ‘w’ as the stock Michelins. The guy said you should match but you could get away with less. Not sure about this. Anyone want to weigh in on that?

Speed rating W is 270 km/h....I think if you really need to go that fast on winter tires you have some issues :)

For rims, you can try the options from Costco:

Search results for: '2018 Tesla Model 3 EV'

Actually some of them dont look too bad.....especially for the price. I was thinking of steelies which are typically around $60 each, but for 150-170 I would probably go with some of these for the better look...

upload_2018-9-4_12-15-53.png

upload_2018-9-4_12-16-16.png

upload_2018-9-4_12-16-33.png

Last edited:

Do you happen to know the cost per tire alone?

That was my thought also. There’s seems to be some belief that the speed rating is not just about speed but handling. The placard on the car simply lists the tire size.
Why Your Tires Should Have The Same Speed Rating - Kal Tire

I dont see anything about handling here, only when matching all 4 tires to the same rating as a recommendation (which makes sense), but I dont see why you couldnt go down 1 level for speed if you never expect to drive at that speed for > 10 minutes, which is what the rating is for.

The recommendation is there because they have to limit for what the car is potentially capable of. The model 3 can go 255 km/h if you have a performance version, so they use that as the limiting case....but again, do you plan to go 255km/h for 10+ min on winter tires? I wouldnt worry about it and just get tires with a reasonable rating.

Even R (170km/h) and S (180km/h) seem more than sufficient for winter driving to me. I certainly dont plan on driving at that sustained speed even in the summer time on a dry day....as much fun as it might be....but less fun is getting your car seized :)

Reactions: Tony_YYZ