Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best options to improve comfort and reduce noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 Model 3LR (19” wheels, Continental ProContact tires) and love the car. My wife, however, complains that the ride is too harsh and thinks there is too much road noise. She has been talking about switching to the Model S, but I really like driving the Model 3. I have been reading through many of the threads on upgrading wheels, tires and suspension and various comments about improvements, but it is often hard to tell if the improvements are modest or significant enough to make the upgrades as well as prioritizing what upgrades should be done first. I realize the S and Model 3 are substantially different cars. I am just wondering if the investment in upgrades can close a significant portion of that gap to make both of us happy with the Model 3.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Jane4
Thoughts?

That nothing you do will make a model 3 ride anything like a model S, either from a road noise department, or a suspension department. You can spend a bunch of money doing stuff to the model 3, but nothing is going to make it significantly quieter.

I think you run the risk of spending a bunch of money and only making yourself happy, since you are the one who wants to keep the model 3.

I just replaced the Continental Pro Contact tires on my 2020 MY and am surprised at how much quieter and smoother riding they are than the Contis. It's now possible to comfortably carry on conversations at highway speeds because of the lack of road noise. The tires are now on sale at Walmart for $201. They don't feel as stable as the Contis when I really push it on the corners, but I only drive like that very occasionally. I hope they get a little grippier as they get broken in.

Reactions: Jane4
I just replaced the Continental Pro Contact tires on my 2020 MY and am surprised at how much quieter and smoother riding they are than the Contis. It's now possible to comfortably carry on conversations at highway speeds because of the lack of road noise. The tires are now on sale at Walmart for $201. They don't feel as stable as the Contis when I really push it on the corners, but I only drive like that very occasionally. I hope they get a little grippier as they get broken in.
What did you replace them with?

Replaced with what???

1687056128220.jpeg

I did research and got recommendations here and bought these Vredestein tires with the only goal of reducing road noise. They were louder than the OEM tires with a weird ghostlike hum. They're going to last three times as long, however.

My point: noise reduction can be a bit of a crapshoot.

Screenshot_20230126-175202_Gmail.jpg

You could take your car to an audio shop and have them stick a bunch of sound-deadening mat on the inside of the doors. I’d guess maybe $500-700 to do all 4 doors. Several hundred more if you want it under the carpet (probably not necessary since the battery likely absorbs a lot of sound from the bottom.

I added about 75lb of deadening mat myself to my minimally-deadened RAV4 and it made roughly a 3-4 decibel difference (significant to the ear). If I hadn’t become addicted to the performance I’d probably put a box (25lb) in the doors of my Model 3.

Polish_20210108_200757666.jpeg

As to ride harshness, MPP Comfort Adjustables would help, but may not be worth the $3500 installed.

That said, going down to 18s with wider tires and running about 35 PSI would make the most significant difference.

Reactions: tm1v2
You could take your car to an audio shop and have them stick a bunch of sound-deadening mat on the inside of the doors. I’d guess maybe $500-700 to do all 4 doors. Several hundred more if you want it under the carpet (probably not necessary since the battery likely absorbs a lot of sound from the bottom.

I added about 75lb of deadening mat myself to my minimally-deadened RAV4 and it made roughly a 3-4 decibel difference (significant to the ear). If I hadn’t become addicted to the performance I’d probably put a box (25lb) in the doors of my Model 3.

View attachment 952651

As to ride harshness, MPP Comfort Adjustables would help, but may not be worth the $3500 installed.

That said, going down to 18s with wider tires and running about 35 PSI would make the most significant difference.
I've been annoyed by the bad (clunky and jittery) ride of my M3LR. I finally broke down and bought MPP adjustable comfort coilovers and front lower control arm bushings. Used the recommended starting settings on the shocks.

Results: Overall ride quality improved by about 25%. Most of the big clunks over Miami's "sunken" man hole covers greatly improved. Still feel a jittery ride over small road imperfections but not as bad as stock. Strangely, no noticeable improvement in comfort deaIing with small <1/2" height difference decorative road seams between pavement and brick surfaces common in key Biscayne and some condo and community roads. Steering and handling greatly improved. Turn-in is more immediate and the car takes a "set" in corners with much more stability and "flatness" than stock.

Conclusion: Ride comfort has improved from uncomfortable and annoying to tolerable. Handling is much nicer and predictable. Cost/comfort decision for me was worth it.

What a worthless message. Months go by and still hasn't told us haha

Reactions: BGaffigan