Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Service Visit EVER!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I'll need to change my Club Forum profile picture! I brought my MS60 in for service the other day to correct a microphone problem I was having - solved. Imagine my surprise when I picked up my MS60 and found that it had become a MS75. Yup. My battery and range were changed w/o request and w/o cost to me. They're even replacing my 60 badging with new 75 badging (No Complaints - Thanks Tesla). Has this happened to anyone else?

Wow. Congratulations! Maybe when I take Tessie in for a checkup, she'll come back as a P100DL Raven. Fingers crossed!

A great way to create a positive and memorable (in a good way) experience, and to build brand loyalty, is to do something unexpected for the customer. What happened to Aleagle is an excellent example.

Last edited:
I guess I'll need to change my Club Forum profile picture! I brought my MS60 in for service the other day to correct a microphone problem I was having - solved. Imagine my surprise when I picked up my MS60 and found that it had become a MS75. Yup. My battery and range were changed w/o request and w/o cost to me. They're even replacing my 60 badging with new 75 badging (No Complaints - Thanks Tesla). Has this happened to anyone else?
Very rare and few !, Anyway, congrats on the free upgrade !.

Imagine driving a 60kwh EV for 7 years, and after battery degradation begins to sneak in, its instantly mitigated by the service center simply "flipping a switch" to access more charge.

Also makes me think of something else - for those in the do-it-yourself-power-wall community, It would appear that the 75 battery pack on a 60 badged car would be the best as far as remaining service life in the batteries since they're software limited down to 60.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Congrats! I got the same upgrade when my 60kWh battery failed. Hope they’re better at putting on the new badges...
5BE3FE56-83FA-4A81-9DC5-9B3B1183BF5D.jpeg

Wow. Congratulations! Maybe when I take Tessie in for a checkup, she'll come back as a P100DL Raven. Fingers crossed!

A great way to create a positive and memorable (in a good way) experience, and to build brand loyalty, is to do something unexpected for the customer. What happened to Aleagle is an excellent example.

Last Christmas holidays, my MS 85 main battery quit. While it took almost a week without my wheels, when returned I now had a MS 90 complete with new badges. It was amazing to have this additional range at no charge!
Having owned a Tesla since early 2014, along with many repair issues, Tesla service has always been excellent. I fully expected that my amazing new car would have issues and I wasn't disappointed. Just as Tesla backed me as a relatively early adopter, I continue to support their efforts by now driving a M3 LR Dual Motor.

Had a similar experience when picking up my 70D. I never could get an answer on how much it would cost to upgrade. I asked the persone upfront and they indicated it would be about $5K. I told them I would wait. When I got in the car and saw the dash indicating I was in a 75D. I asked was this something I was paying for? They went in the back and came and told me no extra charge. Great experience the first day with my vehicle and continues today.

We bought MS60 and paid $2000 for that upgrade done over the air several months after purchasing as the price dropped. We gained about 35 miles range. Happy for you, being patient has it’s rewards.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Last Christmas holidays, my MS 85 main battery quit. While it took almost a week without my wheels, when returned I now had a MS 90 complete with new badges. It was amazing to have this additional range at no charge!
Having owned a Tesla since early 2014, along with many repair issues, Tesla service has always been excellent. I fully expected that my amazing new car would have issues and I wasn't disappointed. Just as Tesla backed me as a relatively early adopter, I continue to support their efforts by now driving a M3 LR Dual Motor.

As im on an original 2013 battery, im curious what you mean by "quit"?
I have had my connectors replaced, but when i asked the service guys about battery failure (to which they said my P85 battery replacement out of warranty would be like $30,000.... yikes) they pretty much said they would be surprised to see a battery just up and quit one day without physical damage to the battery. They said the more likely case needing replacement would just be age and degradation - a slow process that is not out of the blue.

As im on an original 2013 battery, im curious what you mean by "quit"?
I have had my connectors replaced, but when i asked the service guys about battery failure (to which they said my P85 battery replacement out of warranty would be like $30,000.... yikes) they pretty much said they would be surprised to see a battery just up and quit one day without physical damage to the battery. They said the more likely case needing replacement would just be age and degradation - a slow process that is not out of the blue.
You didn't bitch that they didn't give you a Ford Mustang Mach-E instead?

I recall a thread on here a few weeks back where someone mentioned that. I think the subject matter had to do with software updates that actually reduced the maximum range achievable from a charge. The consensus seemed to be that Tesla was doing that to reduce the strain on batteries and avoid warranty claims. I'm glad for you, but imagine if you purchased a 75 rather than a 60 and then the 60 owners get a free upgrade.

• Disagree
I recall a thread on here a few weeks back where someone mentioned that. I think the subject matter had to do with software updates that actually reduced the maximum range achievable from a charge. The consensus seemed to be that Tesla was doing that to reduce the strain on batteries and avoid warranty claims. I'm glad for you, but imagine if you purchased a 75 rather than a 60 and then the 60 owners get a free upgrade.

someone did a good thing, a owner got a free update, and someone thinks it's wrong, I paid for my update 2000.00, I'm happy he got his free. Service center did a good thing.

The thread you are referring to is here:
Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software
It is one of the most visited (nearly 400K views) and has hundreds of Tesla owners ready to join the class action suit after a software upgrade reduced the S85 range to a S60 overnight and doubled the supercharge time. Not a lot of happy campers. My range dropped from 255 to 220 and it takes over an hour to supercharge from 20% to 80%. So, while there are a few very surprised Tesla owners who received courtesy battery upgrades, there are thousands who have had both their battery range and supercharge time gated without warning and Tesla is refusing to do anything but say it was for battery protection. Basically, the $10K we paid for the extra range was wasted.

• Disagree
Nice to read that some guys got a free upgrade.
Yes, the service has always been excellent but regarding the degradation of my battery (from 420km range down to 350 km) they refuse any responsibility.
Battery is ok, they claim....
My Tesla S85 is 4.5 years old and I did a lousy 60k km so far....
Theo, Netherlands