Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Voice Commands & Tips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the regular gauntlet of commands, but anyone have a command or tip that others may not know about?

voice commands
  • when I want to adjust mirrors or seat, I say “adjust mirrors/seat”.
  • “Adjust the steering wheel”
  • “Fold mirrors”
  • my favorite is “set temperature to 69 degrees”.
  • also, useful is “send message to xxxxx” (texting)
  • “Set wipers to 1”
  • “Send bug report to Tesla”
  • “Search Google for...”. (The web browser pops up.)
  • “Show me traffic”
  • “Open glovebox”
  • “Ho Ho Ho”
  • “Camera”
  • “Turn on Dog Mode”
  • “Turn on Sentry mode”

Tips
  • to unlock all doors, just press the Park button again, when you are already parked.
  • Hold the park button for 2-3 seconds to activate Parking Brake.
  • Swipe down on Navigation search bar to automatically navigate home.

I just wish the commands used in Model 3s worked for the Model Y. I don't mind pushing two buttons to open the glove box, but a voice command would be nice if my wife wants to get into it when I'm driving.

I don't understand this. Why does this need to be different between the two models. So much for the Y sharing many parts with the 3.

Reactions: RocDeef
I don't understand this. Why does this need to be different between the two models. So much for the Y sharing many parts with the 3.

Me too. And it gives ammo to all of the naysayers that knock touchscreens and buttons free controls. Giving a voice command to a door, which has no physical buttons itself, would add to the safety aspect of using your voice instead of hunting and pecking at a touchscreen.

I know the regular gauntlet of commands, but anyone have a command or tip that others may not know about?

voice commands
  • when I want to adjust mirrors or seat, I say “adjust mirrors/seat”.
  • “Adjust the steering wheel”
  • “Fold mirrors”
  • my favorite is “set temperature to 69 degrees”.
  • also, useful is “send message to xxxxx” (texting)
  • “Set wipers to 1”
  • “Send bug report to Tesla”
  • “Search Google for...”. (The web browser pops up.)
  • “Show me traffic”
  • “Open glovebox”
  • “Ho Ho Ho”
  • “Camera”
  • “Turn on Dog Mode”
  • “Turn on Sentry mode”

Tips
  • to unlock all doors, just press the Park button again, when you are already parked.
  • Hold the park button for 2-3 seconds to activate Parking Brake.
  • Swipe down on Navigation search bar to automatically navigate home.
I thought the parking brake was applied automatically when you went into park?

Pressing the button on the right stalk when stopped puts you in park. Pressing and holding the button on the right stalk engages the parking brake.
There is no parking gear in a Tesla vehicle as in conventional vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. The only thing that prevents the Tesla vehicle from rolling is the parking brake. When you are stopped, when you press the button on the end of the right steering wheel stalk this activates the electronic parking brake. When you are driving, in the unlikely event of total brake failure, you can press and hold the button on the right stalk to activate the parking brake.

Interesting that parking brake engagement with pressing and holding the button makes an very noticeable audible sound while I don't hear anything when I just push the button. Am I just missing the noise when the parking brake automatically engages? Also pressing the button just illuminates the P while pressing and holding illuminates the parking brake symbol.

Interesting that parking brake engagement with pressing and holding the button makes an very noticeable audible sound while I don't hear anything when I just push the button. Am I just missing the noise when the parking brake automatically engages? Also pressing the button just illuminates the P while pressing and holding illuminates the parking brake symbol.
When I park inside my garage and press the button I can hear the electronic parking brake activate. When I park at shopping centers I don't notice the sound of the electronic parking brake engaging.

The only time I believe that activating the parking brake would be different from just pressing the button so the vehicle status shows "P" is when the Tesla vehicle is in transport mode. In transport mode the Tesla vehicle will remain in neutral even if you open the driver's door, exit the vehicle. To prevent the Tesla from rolling before you need it to roll, i.e. be pulled onto a flat bed, you could press and hold the button to engage the parking brake.