Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lots of little niggles...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear all

I had my Model 3 for about 3.5 years, and it feels to me like there are lots more bugs and niggles than there used to be. A selection of recent ones for me below; any advice, solutions or empathy gratefully received:

Walk away lock works for me all the time, but for my partner only about 75% of the time. The other 25% the car stays unlocked and the app sends a notification to tell us after a few minutes. Grrr.

The music no longer turns the volume down when you open the car door, leading to some embarrassment in crowded car park situations

Most of the time now, the car doesn’t connect to my phone when I get in, despite having ‘priority device’ ticked and even though I'm using the phone as the key. (And this seems to untick itself after a bit too). Very annoying when I get a phone call.

Sometimes the car unlocks immediately, sometimes I have to wave the phone around in the air for 15 seconds before it notices

When searching for music in the Apple Music App, the search results are all from Spotify. And, if you use a voice command to play music, it finds the track but doesn’t play

The lumbar button doesn’t work if I get into the car directly after my partner has driven it, only if I start from cold

Not sure how the dipped beam and daylight running lights are meant to function, but mine have always been on together (logically, should it be the DRLs in the day, adding dipped beam in dark weather/dusk/etc?). But just recently, sometimes they don’t come on at all – haven’t checked whether the lights are on but the icons have just disappeared.

A couple of updates ago, it completely forgot all our devices and settings, and had to faff around setting it all back up again.

There are probably a few other things I haven’t remembered. When I got the car, it was like ‘wow, this is so far ahead of other cars it’s like driving the future’. Now I’m thinking ‘shall I just get a Volvo next time where everything just works consistently?’ I should add that I haven't searched for solutions to any of these on the forums, I'm mostly here to moan :)

• Funny
Reactions: Exy1
I was just saying exactly the same thing to the Mrs. I too have had my Model 3 for over 3 years and it currently seems worse than it’s ever been. I have a model Y on order and I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve considered cancelling it for something else. Confidence diminishing

90% of that is a recent duff software update.

The music volume thing is fixed in a recent version, I think it came back in 2023.6.8, or maybe the most recent. I’d get out and look at the running lights as also likely just software in the car. Had the same thing in a brand new MY.

After every software update I do a 2 button reboot before anything else. I’ve had 86 updates in 3 years of ownership.

You have my sympathy. I‘ve not had any continuous problems such a you describe.
I usually have my phone in a trouser pocket. I doubt it’s failed to unlock the car immediately, more than a handful of times.
If the DRL’s aren’t coming on, that might be a loom problem. It could just be a reboot will solve it.

I've been driving M3's for over 3 years now and the capability of my current M3P seems to be worse than my first car. If autopilot was designed to take the driving effort away, it's not working. It's slow to activate in overtaking, slow during overtaking some vehicles and slow to return to lane. It doesn't drive anything like a human. I am tired of lurching across lanes having been cancelled mid-manoeuvre because the indicators turned off or because of some other issue. The original capability of Summon (limited though it was) has disappeared as has autopark which is now hit or miss. Add autowipers (which aren't) and the ridiculously continuing saga of slowing/braking because of shadows/road markings with the over the top warnings in terms of chimes and daft messages and you end up realising that we've either been 'had' or the focus is is firmly on the USA. On that point, I'm fed up with excuses about European road legislation causing the problem. In that case, don't advertise capability that can't be achieved. I've justified the car to myself by accepting that it's the highest performance vehicle in its class on the road. However, when I see Merc, BMW, Jag etc with phenomenal interiors and smooth driver aids at the same (less depreciating) price, my enthusiasm begins to wane. I live in hope that unlike the last eighteen months of rubbish software upgrades, something meaningful is going to happen soon.

I've been driving M3's for over 3 years now and the capability of my current M3P seems to be worse than my first car. If autopilot was designed to take the driving effort away, it's not working. It's slow to activate in overtaking, slow during overtaking some vehicles and slow to return to lane. It doesn't drive anything like a human. I am tired of lurching across lanes having been cancelled mid-manoeuvre because the indicators turned off or because of some other issue. The original capability of Summon (limited though it was) has disappeared as has autopark which is now hit or miss. Add autowipers (which aren't) and the ridiculously continuing saga of slowing/braking because of shadows/road markings with the over the top warnings in terms of chimes and daft messages and you end up realising that we've either been 'had' or the focus is is firmly on the USA. On that point, I'm fed up with excuses about European road legislation causing the problem. In that case, don't advertise capability that can't be achieved. I've justified the car to myself by accepting that it's the highest performance vehicle in its class on the road. However, when I see Merc, BMW, Jag etc with phenomenal interiors and smooth driver aids at the same (less depreciating) price, my enthusiasm begins to wane. I live in hope that unlike the last eighteen months of rubbish software upgrades, something meaningful is going to happen soon.
I expect my headstone will be inscribed; “died of a broken promise waiting for FSD. If only he could have lived for another two weeks” 😂

Most of those issues seem to be related to mobile phone connection, are you sure that the problem isn't with the phone? I've never had an issue with locking/unlocking or connecting with my iPhone 14 Pro.

I did have to replace my older iPhone SE 2 as things just stopped working on it.

Reactions: init6
well there are no such issues for me... my car just rattles and squeaks. like a lot. a LOT.

it has been worst interior quality car I owned since 2005 when I had saab 9-3. Ford mondeo, Bmw 330, Qashqai and even bloody Kadjar has better and less rattling/squeaking interior...

You do kind of get the feeling they're chasing their tail. To reduce vampire drain they increase the aggressiveness of the sleeping, it works, but then it can take ages to wake up the car, even seemingly when you walk up to it with your phone, as I've had this too. Or maybe the phone unlock issue is related to the alarm going off when you get in the car some had last year, they built in a delay or waiting for confirmation or something which has added time, although I often see the screen light up and say present key or similar words, only to open when I open my phone. The point I guess is most changes have a knock on impact somewhere else and I wonder how clean everything is built behind the scenes. Any software developer will tell you continual change can lead to some messy shortcuts unless you are given the time and budget to wind things back far enough, and I don't get the impression Musk is a man for giving out time and budget if he can avoid it.

My current list of issues would be ride (design thing although car is increasingly rattly), the door unlock, albeit intermittent, paint chipping badly after 12k miles/1 year, the odd screen flick off then on, the radio died last week and required a reboot, first enforced reboot I've had to do in 2 years. But when I look back to my first MS back in 2015, reboots were a weekly occurance, the nav was dreadful, and software updates would cause plenty of issues, I had a message across the dash for a week saying charge flap fault because it seems the developers forgot we used a different charge port in Europe and so there was an error message reporting they didn't recognise it. I'm therefore not entirely sure things are worse now than they've ever been, I suspect we may be just becoming less tolerant to them.

Reactions: WannabeOwner