Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Way to Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is no, due to temperature rating of the sheathed 6/3 Romex. I had this discussion with a few members here and came to the conclusion (after arguing something that I was not understanding correctly) that I needed to replaced my 6/3 Romex with #6 THHN in conduit.

HPWC wiring - neutral as ground in video?

And to add more color, you could also use 4 AWG romex if you did not want to do conduit (though I really like conduit in many use cases).

But yeah, 6 awg Romex (NM-B) cable is not acceptable on a 60a circuit.

Future proof what? Who the hell needs 100amps to charge a car? I charged my leaf on 12amp 240v for the longest. I can still charge my car overnight on that, hell, I can charge my car in a few hours on the 40A it has now so I could most certainly charge two cars on that 40A if I ever needed to. People have unrealistic expectations that home charging needs to be done in a few hours, when do they ever sleep?
I completely agree, I had an early Leaf with the 3.3 charger, now I am using the same EVSE for the Tesla and it recharges my daily use in a couple of hours at 32amps.

I would hope that my future EV won’t need to use more electricity So why would I need more amperage?

I just charge to 90%. 34k on 3. It's a 2017. My range is 320 now based on 100% charge. LR RWD had a range adjustment.

S we do the same. Just crossed 60k. 1.17% degradation.

Just read the manual. Even though I never read manuals.

Pretty sweet cars that never have to be parked next to a gas pump.

Enjoy the ride!

Edit% info to 100 poorly worded.

Last edited:
Not where I live. 60 amp is code, although I’m not an electrician. My electrician who is an electrician insisted on 60 amp. CT

I am not at my computer to go quote the specific code reference, but this is just utterly and completely wrong.

You must not put a 14-50 on a circuit above 50 amps.

A 60a circuit would be fine on a Wall Connector.

First up, get a 60 amp breaker! You'll charge at 32 amps but you need the 60 amp breaker. Charge rate will be about 28-29 mph. Very satisfactory.

I sent my charging limit to the first hash line or about 50%. Like you, I have minimal driving. I usually charge when I drop to about 80-90 miles on the screen. The energy use graph is a more accurate measure of the energy you have but when not worrying about long distance, I just use the screen number. Takes 2-3 hours to charge again to 150-155. After a while, you'll have your pattern figured out. Good luck.
I installed the wall charger on a 60amp circuit and get 48Amps, because my local utility (LADWP) offered a rebate for the price of the charger (not the install, though) so I went for it. Charges at 40miles/hr which is nice, and this way the charging cable I got with the car stays in the car for when I go someplace with a plug I can access. Installing the wall charger vs a NEMA plug should cost you about the same, it's just the $500 for the charger, which I think is worth it even without the $500 rebate I got. Your local utility may offer something like that too. It also saves the almost daily hassle of getting out the cable and plugging it in at both ends and then winding up the charging cable and putting it back in the case every time. That gets old fast, the wall charger has a connected cable that you can simply coil and hang on the charger itself.
I keep the car plugged in almost every night at 80% charge, except when I know I will supercharge the next day (they're so far away from me!!), in which case I'll let it sit unplugged.

I installed the wall charger on a 60amp circuit and get 48Amps, because my local utility (LADWP) offered a rebate for the price of the charger (not the install, though) so I went for it. Charges at 40miles/hr which is nice, and this way the charging cable I got with the car stays in the car for when I go someplace with a plug I can access. Installing the wall charger vs a NEMA plug should cost you about the same, it's just the $500 for the charger, which I think is worth it even without the $500 rebate I got. Your local utility may offer something like that too. It also saves the almost daily hassle of getting out the cable and plugging it in at both ends and then winding up the charging cable and putting it back in the case every time. That gets old fast, the wall charger has a connected cable that you can simply coil and hang on the charger itself.
I keep the car plugged in almost every night at 80% charge, except when I know I will supercharge the next day (they're so far away from me!!), in which case I'll let it sit unplugged.
Why would you need to unplug the cord and roll it up every day?

Why would you need to unplug the cord and roll it up every day?

Because many people like to carry their mobile connector with them in case they need to charge for "reasons". To do that, you either need to have a wall connector and keep the kit that came with the car in the car, purchase another mobile kit, or, take your mobile connector with you every time you plug and unplug your car.

It also saves the almost daily hassle of getting out the cable and plugging it in at both ends and then winding up the charging cable and putting it back in the case every time. That gets old fast,
Yeah...which is why people don't do that.
1. When are you really going to use up over 200 miles driving around town that day? And
2. The UMC is only for plugging into outlets. You would suddenly just find yourself not within range of a Supercharger, J1772 connector, or Tesla wall connector?

This isn't 2013 anymore, and there is generally enough charging infrastructure somewhere near you that it would be really unlikely that you would need to resort to that last ditch desperation effort of plugging into an outlet with no other options.
I've had my UMC hanging on my garage wall for over 5 years now, and I only put it in the car a few times a year when going on a trip, and that is pretty common for a lot of Tesla owners.

Because many people like to carry their mobile connector with them in case they need to charge for "reasons". To do that, you either need to have a wall connector and keep the kit that came with the car in the car, purchase another mobile kit, or, take your mobile connector with you every time you plug and unplug your car.
Where do you live that you're more likely to find an outlet and not an actual charging station?

Yeah...which is why people don't do that.
1. When are you really going to use up over 200 miles driving around town that day? And
2. The UMC is only for plugging into outlets. You would suddenly just find yourself not within range of a Supercharger, J1772 connector, or Tesla wall connector?

This isn't 2013 anymore, and there is generally enough charging infrastructure somewhere near you that it would be really unlikely that you would need to resort to that last ditch desperation effort of plugging into an outlet with no other options.
I've had my UMC hanging on my garage wall for over 5 years now, and I only put it in the car a few times a year when going on a trip, and that is pretty common for a lot of Tesla owners.

/shrug. I intellectually know you are correct, but seeing as how I am still a relatively new EV owner, my cable stays in my car "just in case". I fully expect to *almost never* need it, but *almost never* is not necessarily *never, so I felt better getting a wall connector and leaving it in the car.

Like I said, In my head I know you are right... but I "feel better" with the kit in the car, even though I have not used it, and likely wont use it.... humans are funny that way sometimes lol.

/shrug. I intellectually know you are correct, but seeing as how I am still a relatively new EV owner, my cable stays in my car "just in case". I fully expect to *almost never* need it, but *almost never* is not necessarily *never, so I felt better getting a wall connector and leaving it in the car.

Like I said, In my head I know you are right... but I "feel better" with the kit in the car, even though I have not used it, and likely wont use it.... humans are funny that way sometimes lol.
I look at it about on the level of keeping a scuba tank and mask in their car just in case they happen to drive off a cliff into the ocean. But it could happen...
I know some people are a bit "beyond beyond" in their paranoia level of what they feel they need to be prepared for to not be nervous, but it's not necessarily a standard recommendation for most people.

Reactions: hcdavis3