Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best wireless pad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tracksyde, thanks for the video. PM me with an address if you are interested in a copy of the final design. You are on your own with the electronic parts though.

CJ

I wish I could take credit for the video, since that would mean I have my Model 3 :D. I just happened to see a video where a guy measured the pad and I happened to come across your post asking for the measurements so I replied. I should've been more clear.

Maybe you can find someone local to you to try it out on?

I definitely like what you're doing. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: chojn1
Version 2: A custom fit.

IMG_20180131_062742813_HDR.jpg

View attachment 276455

Sorry to cross post but I saw this on Twitter
Tesla Wireless Pad
Looks interesting.

Few Qs:
1) you say this is capable of quick charging, though pulls from the 1A front USB ports. How quick is this? In particular will the charging be sufficient to run Waze and charge on iPhone 8 or X? ;)
2) are there any concerns / issues using dual-coil for IPhones? My understanding is they can’t take advantage of this, though is positioning an issue?

Thanks, good luck and I just reserved one :)

For those who did a DIY puck or pad. Have any of you guys considered hooking it up to a power bank that supports quick charge to get faster charging? Hook the power bank to the car's usb port to constantly charge it and the qi connection to the power banks port.

For those who did a DIY puck or pad. Have any of you guys considered hooking it up to a power bank that supports quick charge to get faster charging? Hook the power bank to the car's usb port to constantly charge it and the qi connection to the power banks port.

There was a video of a dual puck install the routed the wire to the the center console where it plugged into a cigarette lighter adapter, but for the life of me, I can't find it. No major modification. Just pop off the driver side molding of the center console to route the wires.

Reactions: evpulse
There was a video of a dual puck install the routed the wire to the the center console where it plugged into a cigarette lighter adapter, but for the life of me, I can't find it. No major modification. Just pop off the driver side molding of the center console to route the wires.
Yeah I’ve seen that method but I would prefer to leave the cig lighter available for other accessories. Figured using one of usb would be the best option where you can split the source with a two port power bank

The caveat with products like that is that the amperage of each USB port may be far from optimal for charging a device like a phone or tablet, resulting in very slow charging when more than one device is plugged in. That particular manufacturer does not appear to list the amp output. They should.

The caveat with products like that is that the amperage of each USB port may be far from optimal for charging a device like a phone or tablet, resulting in very slow charging when more than one device is plugged in. That particular manufacturer does not appear to list the amp output. They should.

The current output of the Tesla's USB port is what you should worry about. You can control the power output of the adapter you buy to ensure it meets whatever Qi standard you need. I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

No question in my mind about the best qi charger: Xvida's wireless charging mountable pad, which with double sided tape on the back can be placed anywhere. With their UNIVERSAL MAGNETIC CARD on the back of the phone or the phone case the phone stays firmly in place.

I have one the dash in my Model S and it's foolproof, better by far than the other 3 qi chargers that I trashed out of disappointment.

W2-WALLM-UNI-BK-FRONT-07_1024x.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclone