Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware if Tesla Promises Reimbursement for Pickup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just a warning that if Tesla says they will reimburse you for travel expenses to pick up your Tesla, you may not be reimbursed. I live in New Hampshire and there is not a Tesla dealer in the state. They offered to either ship my new model S to my home or I could travel to Mount Kisco, NY and pick it up. They offered to reimburse me for my travel to Mount Kisco since they will be saving significant shipping costs from not having to ship the car from Mount Kisco to my home in NH.

I decided to travel to Mount Kisco to pick it up since I'd be getting the car sooner and wanted to take it on a planned trip. Tesla agreed to reimburse me for my train ticket + Uber to the Tesla store (~$350). I have multiple Emails from Tesla delivery personnel stating they will reimburse me.

Upon picking up my Model S at Mount Kisco, I gave them a copy of my receipts for both train and Uber. They indicated it would take up to three weeks to get my reimbursement check in the mail...

Over 6 weeks later, no check and I can't get anyone at Tesla to help. It's disappointing because this is the only negative experience I've had with Tesla. I love the car but feel I was lied to when promised reimbursement. It's not the money I'm upset about, it's the fact we had an agreement and now the people who made the agreed will not honor it.

Just wanted to make others in this situation aware that a promised reimbursement doesn't guarantee anything. Make them ship the car to you if you don't want to eat the travel expenses. Or have them pay for your travel upfront vs. expecting reimbursement.

My car was delivered to the wrong city, Tesla's fault. Tesla offered to pay for my travel expensiveness, 2 Lyft rides and a bus ride totaling around $150, if I went to pick it up since it was way cheaper than sending a single car 200 miles away. It has now been 6 months and Tesla is completely ignoring me. I emailed once a month for the first few months and never got a response, not even a Hello. I have been calling the last couple of months and always get the same response... "This is unacceptable and we will have someone contact you in the next 24 hours to get this solved." I haven't heard back from anyone yet.

Anyways don't expect Tesla to reimburse you, ever.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Sorry to both of you above who Tesla broke promises to.

I'm not sure when the deadline passes in order to call the promise "broken". Certainly, it takes Tesla too long to meet many commitments they make but my experience has been they do meet their commitments.

Currently, Tesla owes me a Signature Edition Wall Connector for the last 2 1/2 months. But my account shows that and says it will be shipped to my home address. I'm 99.9% certain they will ship it to me, the only question is when. I'm betting on early/mid-January which will work fine for me.