Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware of Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All anecdotes

Let’s look at some data

Car manufacturers ranked top to bottom

Here is the 2022 Consumer Reports Auto Reliability Report rankings of major automotive brands:

1. Lexus

2. Mazda

3. Toyota

4. Infiniti

5. Buick

6. Honda

7. Subaru

8. Acura

9. Nissan

10. Mini

11. Hyundai

12. Chrysler

13. Porsche

14. Chevrolet

15. Audi

16. Cadillac

17. BMW

18. Ford

19. Kia

20. Volvo

21. Ram

22. GMC

23. Mercedes-Benz

24. Volkswagen (31)

25. Genesis (30)

26. Jeep (26)

27. Tesla (25)

28. Lincoln (18)

In fairness, this is pretty useless information. Why? Because the list changes every year and often changes drastically. There are a few manufacturers that tend to stay near the bottom or near the top, but for the most part this list is so different year to year that it's become a joke in the car industry.

Reactions: henderrj
So you replaced the whole pano roof yourself as verified by Tesla and an independent body shop ?
Amazing

I’m not the one conflating here just going by independent data, and CR is far from fanboy Tesla friendly.

Your S certainly sounds trouble prone, bordering on a lemon.
‘But that’s not everyone’s experience, is it ?

Data still shows that other car makers like Benz Audi, BMW after decades in the business still have issues with every subsystem in the cars they market. Not whitewash but maybe a broad brush. They still, after all this time, haven’t even come close to the reliability and satisfaction of the Japanese manufacturer. But Tesla should meet and exceed the Japanese, everyone else gets a pass ?

Satisfaction and sales Data still show that Tesla as the new kid on the block is trying.

‘Hope you get a chance to test drive that Eqs and maybe even our east coast phantom Escalade.

As a past Benz owner / enthusiast the EQS especially the amg variant left me……. disappointed.

Still, Vote with your wallet that’s the only thing the free market understands

Do you not understand that car manufacturing isn't a static business? If cars never changed or had evolving technology, then of course everyone would be making dead reliable cars. Do you realize that Toyota is a car company that prefers to hold off on the most innovative technology rather than being the pioneer? That's one of the ways that they keep their reliability ratings so consistently high.

The Germans are pretty much the polar opposite. They tend to be pioneers of technology. Nobody who buys a German car really cares if it doesn't have the reliability of a toaster Toyota.

But that's exactly the point. Tesla is like the US makers in the 70s and 80s. If you got a good one, they were great cars. But if you got a bad one you would be chasing problems for years. Tesla's problem is that they have zero QA. Whatever rolls off the line gets shipped and the SCs have to deal with it. Most of the time the SC can fix it and the owners carry on happy. But it means that every car has to go to the SC after delivery in order to fix things that should have been fixed before it left the factory.

Loyalty is not a good measure as there are currently few if any alternatives to Tesla's products. People that want to drive a high performance and/or long range EV have not choice but Tesla. So even if they hate the brand they will buy again. However the lack of competition is changing and will be a reality in the next couple years. Then we will see how loyal people truly are.
Um can you name one care besides the Taurus that was indeed ‘great’ during that era? Most cars of that time (GM rebadging nightmares, beauties like the Aztec, the Escalade was literally a Chevrolet with a different badge and wood trim-Chryslers K cars were worse somehow-the minivan saved the company but was class leading for 12 minutes until competition arrived) from domestic OEMs were a mess-and the damage from those many misses of that era lead to the demise of many brands during the 2005-2008 era of reorganization.

Not one of those cars were seeing BMW drivers for example running to the Oldsmobile dealer, to trade in German metal for domestic. I’m not seeing that correlation here.

Um can you name one care besides the Taurus that was indeed ‘great’ during that era? Most cars of that time (GM rebadging nightmares, beauties like the Aztec, the Escalade was literally a Chevrolet with a different badge and wood trim-Chryslers K cars were worse somehow-the minivan saved the company but was class leading for 12 minutes until competition arrived) from domestic OEMs were a mess-and the damage from those many misses of that era lead to the demise of many brands during the 2005-2008 era of reorganization.

Not one of those cars were seeing BMW drivers for example running to the Oldsmobile dealer, to trade in German metal for domestic. I’m not seeing that correlation here.
I was using the word "great" as in reliable. My Dad had a Chevy pickup from that era that went nearly 200k miles before he sold it to someone else. But other people had tons of problems. Similar to Tesla. Some people have absolute basket cases while some people never have an issue. It's not a design problem, it is execution.

You can't compare performance of a modern car to 50 years ago. Heck a modern Honda Civic would destroy supercars of that era.

In 2030 I will still see comments like “in the next couple years…”

In the next couple years, Tesla will have major pricing power compared to the competition. So even with more EVs coming from competition, it will change from comparable features to comparable pricing.
No question the legacy manufacturers have been slow to make the switch. But now that they have they will be applying their vastly better manufacturing capabilities to EVs. They still have work to do regarding battery packs and such but it's coming. Ford recently announced they are bringing battery production in-house.

Ignorance is bliss. You an Elon can hang out together.

Pricing power? Ha! Tesla casts themselves as a premium/luxury product. I suppose if they start getting their rear's kicked by others they may resort to cost-cutting. But the only reason Tesla might have pricing power is because they are removing everything they can in order to drive down costs. Rain sensor? Gone! Control stalks? Gone! Glovebox button? Gone! Half the steering wheel? Gone!

• Funny
Reactions: SO16 and _Redshift_
No question the legacy manufacturers have been slow to make the switch. But now that they have they will be applying their vastly better manufacturing capabilities to EVs. They still have work to do regarding battery packs and such but it's coming. Ford recently announced they are bringing battery production in-house.

Pricing power? Ha! Tesla casts themselves as a premium/luxury product. I suppose if they start getting their rear's kicked by others they may resort to cost-cutting. But the only reason Tesla might have pricing power is because they are removing everything they can in order to drive down costs. Rain sensor? Gone! Control stalks? Gone! Glovebox button? Gone! Half the steering wheel? Gone!

Sorry, don't see any "vastly better manufacturing capabilities" in GM or Ford. And I've gone from fan boy to disgusted with Tesla, so I'm not looking through rose colored glasses. Mega casting alone gives Tesla a huge advantage.

I think Elon musk is a megalomaniac dictator, but he is brilliant. I think it's going to be a long time before any American manufacturer has a chance of catching up to tesla. And frankly, I don't think anybody's going to. I think they will be the number one automobile manufacturer within a decade.

Sorry, don't see any "vastly better manufacturing capabilities" in GM or Ford. And I've gone from fan boy to disgusted with Tesla, so I'm not looking through rose colored glasses. Mega casting alone gives Tesla a huge advantage.

I think Elon musk is a megalomaniac dictator, but he is brilliant. I think it's going to be a long time before any American manufacturer has a chance of catching up to tesla. And frankly, I don't think anybody's going to. I think they will be the number one automobile manufacturer within a decade.
I think you're still living in the world of Tesla circa 2014. I have been hanging out in the Refresh MX thread for over a year. It seemed like every single vehicle that was delivered needed to immediately go in for service due to some wrong, missing, or broken. That includes mine. Legacy manufacturers do not have that poor of product quality. They fix these things before they leave the factory.

Further, those other manufacturers can tell a customer when they will receive their vehicle and actually hit the date. Tesla.... can't. That speaks to "vastly better manufacturing capabilities."

Let me be clear. Tesla CAN make a very good and high quality product. They just choose not to do so (and they still suck at production planning). They need to ship every car they can as soon as they can in order to keep Wall Street happy. Wall Street only cares about how mancy cars were built and how many were delivered. They don't care about warranty work so Tesla doesn't care either. Shipping broken cars and making the SCs fix them is radically more expensive than fixing them before they leave the factory. To fix them at the SC requires shipping of parts, loaner vehicles, extra service staff, etc. Who was it that was talking about Tesla having a cost advantage? Not this way......

• Funny
Reactions: SO16 and _Redshift_
I see a lot of ranting here... Speaking for myself, I am pretty happy with the 3 Tesla's we own... I have 65,000 miles on my 2017 and 12,000 miles on the other two, newer, cars. We drove the X across the country...

Sure, there are a variety of adjustments needed - but the service that I have received has been pretty darn good - Features such as world class Supercharging, Mobile service, and tire repair / replacement tire at your location are pretty unique in the industry.

Bottom line, I would not buy Tesla 3 times over, if I didn't think it was pretty good.

Reactions: SO16 and DCGOO

All you need to look at is the profit margin and one can plainly see that Tesla can lower the price of their vehicles by a LOT compared to the OEMs.

As far as quality off the line and repair costs, yes Tesla could save money if they had better consistent quality but again, they already are making serious money and will be very apparent going forward. And yes Tesla DOES make quality products since many people are happy with their vehicles and claim they are perfect. It’s the consistency from Fremont that’s the problem. China and Berlin (and hopefully Austin) don’t seem to have this issue.

Ignorance truly is bliss if you think that OEMs can massively drop the prices of their vehicles while still maintaining ICE, workforce, battery supply, etc. Look at Ford just yesterday announcing their costs are much higher than originally planned. This will not be easy for the OEMs. This “competition is coming” from most OEMs is laughable. Yes they will sell more EVs over time but not enough to threaten Tesla. The only ones that truly pose competition, are the Chinese. And the Chinese are a bigger threat to the other OEMs than they are to Tesla.

Your examples of the yoke, removed buttons, etc are not applicable to your argument. The only one that they were premature in getting rid of was the rain sensor.

Last edited:
Reactions: henderrj and JRP3
I was using the word "great" as in reliable. My Dad had a Chevy pickup from that era that went nearly 200k miles before he sold it to someone else. But other people had tons of problems. Similar to Tesla. Some people have absolute basket cases while some people never have an issue. It's not a design problem, it is execution.

You can't compare performance of a modern car to 50 years ago. Heck a modern Honda Civic would destroy supercars of that era.
The one striking difference is there is some ‘greatness’ in the engineering or the noteworthy products of that era. Domestic OEMs featured pushrods when overhead cam engines were in vogue, badge engineered, and badly manufactured in that era. Hondas were reliable and innovative in the sector. (The text book definition of ‘great’) Camrys offered Lexus like isolation, efferent fuel management and again reliability. Lexus etc Mercedes S class of that era etc were feats of engineering. Which is why that statement was curious IMHO. I don’t get the parallels between 80s-90s domestic cars and Tesla. Again there was very little in the way of innovation in those products vs teardowns of Teslas which revels quite a bit of such execution.
I think you're still living in the world of Tesla circa 2014. I have been hanging out in the Refresh MX thread for over a year. It seemed like every single vehicle that was delivered needed to immediately go in for service due to some wrong, missing, or broken. That includes mine. Legacy manufacturers do not have that poor of product quality. They fix these things before they leave the factory.

Further, those other manufacturers can tell a customer when they will receive their vehicle and actually hit the date. Tesla.... can't. That speaks to "vastly better manufacturing capabilities."

Let me be clear. Tesla CAN make a very good and high quality product. They just choose not to do so (and they still suck at production planning). They need to ship every car they can as soon as they can in order to keep Wall Street happy. Wall Street only cares about how mancy cars were built and how many were delivered. They don't care about warranty work so Tesla doesn't care either. Shipping broken cars and making the SCs fix them is radically more expensive than fixing them before they leave the factory. To fix them at the SC requires shipping of parts, loaner vehicles, extra service staff, etc. Who was it that was talking about Tesla having a cost advantage? Not this way......
Well your ‘research’ of hanging out in an Internet forum might be flawed. Unless:

Every single Model X would be at least 10% of the entire production run (so if 24K vehicles are sold, then you have 2,400 different responses of issues in that thread correct? That would be an acceptable sample size per industry standards (JD Power).

Investors do care about quality to a certain degree which is why recalls can negatively affect stock prices.

So let me get this straight-if a car is assembled to your standards yet is in the shop due to engineering flaws (Fires in the case of GM EVs so battery replacements, or stop manufacturing due to engineering design issues ala Ford Mach E) that’s not an example of ‘poor product quantity’ when flaws are designed into the things?

Also there are folks who haven’t had any communication from GM or Ford regarding EV orders after missed delivery deadlines.

Last edited:

I think you're underestimating the legacy car manufacturers. Sure, they got into the game late, but it seems like everyone is committed at this point and these companies not only have the resources, but also decades of experience manufacturing cars to a much higher standard than Tesla can even imagine at this point. Tesla is an absolute noob in comparison. And it shows in the cars they are making right now.

The big advanatge for Tesla at the moment is battery technology/management and infrastructure. But that advantage will evaporate in the future as we see solid state battery technology come on line & mature and infrastructure improve vastly. I think Tesla has a HUGE job ahead of them if the goal is stay ahead of legacy automakers in the BEV game. Personally, I don't even think it's possible.

• Funny
Reactions: _Redshift_ and SO16
I think you're underestimating the legacy car manufacturers. Sure, they got into the game late, but it seems like everyone is committed at this point and these companies not only have the resources, but also decades of experience manufacturing cars to a much higher standard than Tesla can even imagine at this point. Tesla is an absolute noob in comparison. And it shows in the cars they are making right now.

The big advanatge for Tesla at the moment is battery technology/management and infrastructure. But that advantage will evaporate in the future as we see solid state battery technology come on line & mature and infrastructure improve vastly. I think Tesla has a HUGE job ahead of them if the goal is stay ahead of legacy automakers in the BEV game. Personally, I don't even think it's possible.

My remark to the BMW salesman after my i4-40 test drive was: improve the charging infrastructure, and build your EV on a dedicated EV platform. The buyers will come.

Actually, I think the biggest problem the traditional manufacturers have, is they are forced (required by law) to sell through their dealers. Unless they can get control over their distribution, it is not going to go well for them. Ford is trying, by requiring potential E dealers to fork over millions per location, just to retain access to the product line. I just can't imagine that will go well for them.

Tesla did a bunch of things right as you say, battery management and charging infrastructure. But they also have secured their supply chain way beyond anyone else. They also have complete control over distribution and service. All through Tesla stores, not just in .US, but world wide. Far from perfect as folks here will be happy to point out. But Tesla owns it completely until the vehicle is sitting in your driveway. "From farm to table" if you will. No one else has even conceived of anything like it. Brilliant IMO.

Mazda and Honda for instance absolutely do not have the resources. Porsches IPO specifically stated that a large portion of capital raise will go to software development-another (very expensive) area in which legacy OEMs are very behind. I’m not sure a Cadillac IPO for example raises enough capital.

Why are manufacturers like Ford having huge issues with pricing, sourcing and manufacturing of its EV (Mach E)? According to your theory, those things shouldn’t be happening? But they will. There is a huge adjustment in switching to an EV only company on many levels from my professional experience.

The question isn’t whether or not Tesla will be ‘caught’ as far as benchmarks are concerned. They will be. Chevy caught Toyota within 20 years after the dreadful
1980s-1990s era products. But the damage had been done and Chevrolet still hasn’t regained that market share or place in buyers consciousness on both coasts-huge markets. We are now 10 years in from the start of the EV business cycle. Solid state batteries are another two product generations away per anything I’ve been able to pry from my former colleagues at various OEMs.

I’m not sure anything can be spoken in absolutes when looking at the landscape objectively.

BMW and Ford and GM and VWAG had electric cars on the road at the same time and in greater numbers than the Tesla Roadster. They aren't new to this game, they just haven't the incentive to go all-in on BEV. In some ways they still don't have much incentive to do it.

I agree the direct-sales earthquake is still underway. I will not be buying from a dealer again unless we can lock down price in advance, order, and take delivery with a minimum of fuss. I've now ordered two cars in my life, and BMW's process was at least as painless as Tesla's. Order and agree on price at time of order, take delivery, enjoy new car. Soup. But even in the best case at the legacy dealers it requires going to a dealer and spending some number of hours, so, I really hope direct-sales with showrooms, as opposed to on-demand inventory, becomes the norm.

The manufacturers have a lot to gain cutting the snake oil sales pitch out of the loop, and not a whole lot to lose when it comes to new sales, but the ICE cars they're selling now will be service and repair profit centers for the better part of two decades, so there's a looooooong tail they have to worry about not cutting off too early.

Reactions: Genie and jboy210
One other issue we should consider. Perception is reality. Another insurance company did a survey of college kids who own cars. Anyone want to guess what their dream car is? Little children have seen my car driving down the road and jump up and down and scream "It's a tesla, it's a tesla". These are five and six year olds. There is no way that Chevy and Ford get anything like that kind of recognition. The next generation of car buyers is already sold on tesla.

As to the opinion that these manufacturers are able to give you an exact time when your vehicle is due. My brother-in-law wanted to order a Ford F-150 of a specific kind. Ford told him it would be 6 months. He said "Wow, I've got to wait that long for a truck?" They said no, that's when you can order it. It's now been more than 6 months, they've still not let him order it. They have no idea when he would actually get the vehicle. Tesla isn't the only one suffering from difficulties getting vehicles to people.

I believe the company that's going to give Tesla the best run for their money is daimler. They are really moving! I wouldn't mind seeing them do well. I've loved every Mercedes I've ever owned. Of course, Volkswagen is going to do well. Ford and chevy, I think they're going to be minor players in 5 to 15 years. All of that legacy engine and transmission manufacturing hardware they have is going to be so much metal scrap in just a few years.

Reactions: ForDesign
One other issue we should consider. Perception is reality. Another insurance company did a survey of college kids who own cars. Anyone want to guess what their dream car is? Little children have seen my car driving down the road and jump up and down and scream "It's a tesla, it's a tesla". These are five and six year olds. There is no way that Chevy and Ford get anything like that kind of recognition. The next generation of car buyers is already sold on tesla.

As to the opinion that these manufacturers are able to give you an exact time when your vehicle is due. My brother-in-law wanted to order a Ford F-150 of a specific kind. Ford told him it would be 6 months. He said "Wow, I've got to wait that long for a truck?" They said no, that's when you can order it. It's now been more than 6 months, they've still not let him order it. They have no idea when he would actually get the vehicle. Tesla isn't the only one suffering from difficulties getting vehicles to people.

I believe the company that's going to give Tesla the best run for their money is daimler. They are really moving! I wouldn't mind seeing them do well. I've loved every Mercedes I've ever owned. Of course, Volkswagen is going to do well. Ford and chevy, I think they're going to be minor players in 5 to 15 years. All of that legacy engine and transmission manufacturing hardware they have is going to be so much metal scrap in just a few years.
The F-150 orderability is largely based on when you signed up and price. If your BIL purchased one of the expensive models like the Platinum ($80K+) in the first few hours he should be able to order. If he was like me and picked a cheap ($60K) and signed days late he may have longer to wait. Potentially a lot longer. It very reminiscent of Tesla and ordering Plaid vs LR, Performance vs SR, ...

It is almost like the CEO of Ford is looking over Elon's shoulder for clues on how to run Ford's EV line. Hmmm.

Tesla has done an amazing job worming into public consciousness. "The one with the doors" is all you have to say if you have an X. Try explaining what a BMW M3, one of the most celebrated nameplates in the history of cars, is to anybody who doesn't know what one is already, now that Tesla sells a Model 3

Last edited:
The F-150 orderability is largely based on when you signed up and price. If your BIL purchased one of the expensive models like the Platinum ($80K+) in the first few hours he should be able to order. If he was like me and picked a cheap ($60K) and signed days late he may have longer to wait. Potentially a lot longer. It very reminiscent of Tesla and ordering Plaid vs LR, Performance vs SR, ...

It is almost like the CEO of Ford is looking over Elon's shoulder for clues on how to run Ford's EV line. Hmmm.
I have multiple acquaintances who have received Pros (and standard range XLT's, and Lariats, and Platinums) now. The line is rolling and deliveries are happening. There's even a couple in dealer stock in my area. This is something Tesla won't be able to say for a year, minimum, but make sure your dealer signs something fixing the price so they can't ADM you at delivery!

I have multiple acquaintances who have received Pros (and standard range XLT's, and Lariats, and Platinums) now. The line is rolling and deliveries are happening. There's even a couple in dealer stock in my area. This is something Tesla won't be able to say for a year, minimum, but make sure your dealer signs something fixing the price so they can't ADM you at delivery!
I know the line is running, but I still cannot order. Were your friends Say 1 orders? I am a week or two after they opened and still cannot make the final order.