Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware pot holes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would opine that it is mostly the weak wheel (vs size).

I went through a pothole that bent a front suspension fork, but aftermarket flow-forged wheel/tire were fine.
@DFW_MVP That's a really useful experience to note, thanks. I would suggest it's the combination of weak cast wheel + very thin sidewalls. With tall sidewalls you don't need an especially strong wheel, e.g. no issues with the cheap Tesla OE 19s we put on our S. I'm sure they're not manufactured any better than the Tesla 21s.

I'll mention that our cracked S P85 21" wheel was a cracked spoke. I don't think flow forming the barrel changes anything about spoke strength on a cast wheel, but I can easily believe your wheels have stronger spokes anyways (due to design or other material difference).

For our M3P I went overboard with forged 18" wheels. Strong wheel and good tire sidewall. I'm 100% sure flow formed 18" would have been totally fine for us too, I was just feeling jealous of the sporty cars that have OE forged wheel options from the factory. :)

Reactions: DFW_MVP
The Tesla Model 3 is basically the same weight and dimensions as my 2017 Fusion Sport (which is heavier at 4100 lb). Ford made the dumb decision to go with 235/40R19 on the Fusion Sport, but offered its sister car the MKZ AWD, 245/45R18 or 245/40R19. Both of which have thicker sidewalls.

I lost two of the 235/40R19 tires due to potholes, they weren't that bad of potholes and it was low speed (less than 30 mph) but I could feel the jounce in my soul once I hit them (Couldn't see them as they were filled with water).

I really wanted to order the Model 3 Performance but 235/35R20 is even thinner than 235/40R19 and it is a recipe for disaster in Southeast Michigan. On top of the $5000 over a Model 3 LRAB, one would have to source out new 18" wheels and tires. I wish Tesla gave the option to choose the 18's or 19s on the Performance with a different tire size. 245/45R19 would be fine, as is 245/45R18. I had stock 255/45R19 on my 4300 lb. Taurus SHO and they handled potholes just fine. More sidewall is better. It doesn't really have to do with the size of the wheel.

Just for background info, our current SUV tires like my 2018 Explorer is 245/60R18 with a 147mm sidewall aspect. My 1981 Ford Thunderbird had stock 195/75R14s which have a 146mm sidewall aspect. The T-bird was my first car so you can imagine the stuff I've run over or hit, and those tires were near indestructible. It's sad to see a SUV today that weighs almost 2000 lb. more run the same sidewall aspect as a car back in the day.

I totally understand the reason why Tesla and other OEMs went with paper thin tires, but don't agree with their use due to the road conditions.

After arguing with Tesla service to replace a cracked 21" wheel on our S P85 we downsized it to 19" and never looked back (245/35R20 to 245/45R19). For our M3P I ordered 18" wheels to replace the OE 20" before we even picked up the car (235/35R20 to 245/45R18). I'll admit the huge, heavy wheels our S and 3 came with absolutely look cool, but honestly they belong on a concept car, not a practical road car.

Just my 2c!

Were you able to order the 18" wheels from Tesla to be ready at pickup, or did you source aftermarket wheels/tires and do the swap separately? I never liked handling the logistics of summer and winter wheel/tire sets. Would prefer to pick up the new Tesla with 18s and thicker tires. Only thing really stopping me from the Model 3 Performance....

Were you able to order the 18" wheels from Tesla to be ready at pickup, or did you source aftermarket wheels/tires and do the swap separately? I never liked handling the logistics of summer and winter wheel/tire sets. Would prefer to pick up the new Tesla with 18s and thicker tires. Only thing really stopping me from the Model 3 Performance....
@metroplex No, apparently the Tesla 18" Model 3 wheels don't quite fit over the Performance Upgrade Package (PUP) brakes which come on all Model 3 Performance these days. So I had to go aftermarket. And like so many things these days, the wheels I picked were backordered...but they did arrive after a month or two. Ended up putting 1k miles on the original wheels+tires before the swap, trying to be as cautious as I could!

(Then when the wheels arrived, the tires I planned to get were on backorder everywhere! So I went with a different set that turned out to be very good too.)

We did buy our Tesla 19" Model S wheels new directly from Tesla Service. We took them to a tire shop for tires + mounting, because at the time Tesla didn't offer any 19" performance tires. (Plus around here Tesla Service seems to wildly overprice the tires they do sell. I suspect they don't actually want tire business. I've read their tire prices are more reasonable/competitive in some places though.)

Here's some pics with the 18" wheels.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6611533/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6789788/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6791334/

@metroplex No, apparently the Tesla 18" Model 3 wheels don't quite fit over the Performance Upgrade Package (PUP) brakes which come on all Model 3 Performance these days. So I had to go aftermarket. And like so many things these days, the wheels I picked were backordered...but they did arrive after a month or two. Ended up putting 1k miles on the original wheels+tires before the swap, trying to be as cautious as I could!

(Then when the wheels arrived, the tires I planned to get were on backorder everywhere! So I went with a different set that turned out to be very good too.)

We did buy our Tesla 19" Model S wheels new directly from Tesla Service. We took them to a tire shop for tires + mounting, because at the time Tesla didn't offer any 19" performance tires. (Plus around here Tesla Service seems to wildly overprice the tires they do sell. I suspect they don't actually want tire business. I've read their tire prices are more reasonable/competitive in some places though.)

Thank you for sharing the pics! Those are really sharp looking wheels!!

I have 20’s, but they’re forged and I run the tallest tire I feel like I can get away with (255/35/20 - has almost as much sidewall as 265/35/19 that so many folks here with 19’s run). I also do my best to avoid potholes and the local areas known to have a lot of them.

Does it rub from lock/lock with 255/35R20s? How is the clearance from your suspension components? Have you heard of any other sizes that would work? Like maybe 235/45, or 235/55?

Any ideas on what other size tires would fit on the PUP's 20" wheels and still fit safely/properly? 235/45R20? 245/45R20?
@metroplex My understanding - I'm not an expert and haven't done any large tire test fitting myself - is 27" diameter is about the max you can fit before the knuckle becomes an issue. Even that can be questionable depending on the exact tire and wheel offset.

Different tire models can be slightly different actual sizes despite the same spec. I've read on these forums that most 255/35R20 tires fit (barely) when using the 20x9" M3P wheels, but some that size are known to be too tall or wide and don't quite fit (unless you make further modifications).

255/35R20 would be my choice for the 20x9" M3P wheels if I had stayed with them. Or if I ran into fitment issues with that, then 245/35R20. I'm pretty sure that 235/40R20 or taller will NOT fit though!

Are those Tsportline? I'm looking hard at some 19" when my stock tires wear out...

Are those Tsportline? I'm looking hard at some 19" when my stock tires wear out...
@DocHolliday Titan7 T-S5 18x8.5". They also come in 19x9", and there's the new T-CS5 that comes in 19x9.5". Looks like prices went up $200+ since last fall...damn inflation. The vendor I bought them from offered 5% off + free shipping as a regular deal, if you go for these wheels try to get that at least.

Like Tsportline, Titan7 makes actual direct Model 3 and M3P fitments, no centering rings or spacers or such needed. My T-S5's were properly bored for the M3P stepped hub and mounted directly onto it.

Since you're looking for 19", check out the Redwood Motorsports RW-S5 too, it's made by Titan7. Only comes in 19x9.5".

I really wanted forged wheels (for max strength, wasn't too concerned about lightness). There are cheaper options if you're fine with flow formed / cast. If you do want forged, Martian Wheels seems like another good, relatively affordable option with direct Model 3 + M3P fitments and very similar pricing to Titan7. I liked the Titan7 styles slightly more but that's just personal preference.

Edit: I feel like Tsportline is a little pricey for cast / flow-formed wheels, but that's my only issue with them, I think they fill a useful place in the market and they are a good option. For the minimal price gap vs Titan7 or Martian I'd pick either of those forged options though, unless I was really set on a Tsportline design.

Reactions: DocHolliday
19s finally took a hit, first time in 3 years.
What’s worse is tires from TireRack was just put on last month.

Attachments

• FDC2D9A2-9749-462C-9712-497D7C1DFB1C.jpeg
    FDC2D9A2-9749-462C-9712-497D7C1DFB1C.jpeg
    459.3 KB · Views: 98