Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bi directional charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it's been discussed for a while how car manufacturers would 'manage' this battery use.

I'm glad to see 2-way energy use come to an EV, although the Skoda is a fairly modest early attempt. The car screen you posted above says that the feature is turned off when either energy delivered or time used limits are reached. Since I imagine most people including me would plug in the car in the evening for the night, the limiting factor becomes time rather than energy. 10 hours a night is 400 days of usage.

If that time limit goes away, then I (once again) imagine 5 - 20 kWh night-time usage covers the middle 50th percentile. Then the limit is reached after 2 years for big consumers and 8 years for small consumers.

---
<soapbox>
The future in daytime dominant clean energy production areas is to charge the EV during the day, and use a portion of that charge at night. This will be cheap for the consumer, solve the 'duck curve' problem of peak load during low clean energy power in the 4 - 10pm time slot, and solve peak load costs for utilities. It will also unlock tremendous EV value. The two key ingredients are workplace charging and V2H. The 3rd missing ingredient is a modest cost inverter/transfer-switch

I'm glad to see 2-way energy use come to an EV, although the Skoda is a fairly modest early attempt. The car screen you posted above says that the feature is turned off when either energy delivered or time used limits are reached. Since I imagine most people including me would plug in the car in the evening for the night, the limiting factor becomes time rather than energy. 10 hours a night is 400 days of usage.

If that time limit goes away, then I (once again) imagine 5 - 20 kWh night-time usage covers the middle 50th percentile. Then the limit is reached after 2 years for big consumers and 8 years for small consumers.

---
<soapbox>
The future in daytime dominant clean energy production areas is to charge the EV during the day, and use a portion of that charge at night. This will be cheap for the consumer, solve the 'duck curve' problem of peak load during low clean energy power in the 4 - 10pm time slot, and solve peak load costs for utilities. It will also unlock tremendous EV value. The two key ingredients are workplace charging and V2H. The 3rd missing ingredient is a modest cost inverter/transfer-switch

It'll be interesting to see how much attention (and value) these car Battery V2H allowance balances will have, upon Resale...

10 MWh (30p - 7.5p = 22.5p saving per kWh) is £2,250 worth... or £3,000 saving if using Solar Excess.

So it's actually worth something to somebody...

Last edited:
Reactions: thax1