Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big announcement on EVs & emissions standards coming from federal government this Wednesday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6 week consultation with industry, with the fuel efficiency standards to commence from 1 Jan 2024.

Looks like a pretty aggressive timeframe to me given all the things that need to fall into place to make it happen and actually be effective.
Except that they've been "working" on this since just after they were elected.
So, after 10-11 months (with supposedly extensive consultation with industry already, i.e. Toyota & FCAI), they are now delaying for another 8 months! And providing zero indication how it will compare with European or US standards, thereby implying that Australian standards will not.
No wonder legacy vehicle importers/dealers are happy with it!

6 week consultation with industry, with the fuel efficiency standards to commence from 1 Jan 2024.

Looks like a pretty aggressive timeframe to me given all the things that need to fall into place to make it happen and actually be effective.
Sorry for my cynicism @Vostok but climate and economic experts tell us we should act now. I’m afraid “Liberal-light” don’t get it either. There has already been too much talk and too little action.
I hope to be proved wrong.

Except that they've been "working" on this since just after they were elected.

A few things need to be appreciated about this. First, introducing vehicle emissions standards was not even an ALP election promise, it only became part of the Government‘s agenda after the election, so that clearly means they need to tread carefully lest Murdoch/Sky scream “broken promise” every day from now until May 2025.

Second, do not confuse the process to determine whether or not Australia should introduce vehicle emissions standards (the process the Government has just completed, with the decision that we will have them) with the process to determine what those standards will be (the short timeframe process that has just started). You can’t do both of those things at the same time, otherwise the first process can be criticised as illegitimate as it would imply the decision to introduce emissions standards has already been made without consultation.

Finally, introducing a standard like this is not just a matter of Government diktat from on-high, to come into effect immediately, unless your objective is to implement an ill-thought-through policy that has lots of gaps and holes, stuff that no-one thought about (because there was inadequate consultation) and a policy that will lead to chaos, controversy, complete industry disruption, corporate disobedience, and a change of Government in 2025. Just think about all the pieces of the puzzle that need to be defined, in full detail:
  • Full technical definition of what the emissions standard will be (we may or may not simply ‘pinch’ a standard used elsewhere, but even to do that requires time and effort to decided which one you pick, and why)
  • Decision on when it will start, or how it will be phased in and over what time period
  • How the standard will be measured and enforced, and to what vehicle categories the standard will apply
  • What penalties will apply if the standard is not met
  • Exceptions or appeal mechanisms if the standards can’t be met through force majeure events
  • Consideration of supply chain issues and what is practically achievable in terms of meeting the standards given global vehicle production. There is no point introducing a standard if it turns out it is simply impossible to meet.
And that’s just some issues off the top of my head. I’m not a public policy expert, nor an industry expert, there will be a whole host of issues that need to be worked through to define a new set of rules that an entire industry will need to abide by.

A little less cynicism and a little more appreciation that we don’t live under a dictatorship would not go astray.

Posters starting to veer towards political apologist mode, when we really should be demanding more immediate and forthright action from all sides.

They made a rod for their own backs when they hyped up this great big announcement, which turned out to be mostly reannouncing stuff that was already happening and kicking the can down the road on efficiency standards.

I’ll be incredibly disappointed if diesel pickup trucks get exempted…

Dont make excuses for them. Demand better.

A few things need to be appreciated about this. First, introducing vehicle emissions standards was not even an ALP election promise, it only became part of the Government‘s agenda after the election, so that clearly means they need to tread carefully lest Murdoch/Sky scream “broken promise” every day from now until May 2025.

Second, do not confuse the process to determine whether or not Australia should introduce vehicle emissions standards (the process the Government has just completed, with the decision that we will have them) with the process to determine what those standards will be (the short timeframe process that has just started). You can’t do both of those things at the same time, otherwise the first process can be criticised as illegitimate as it would imply the decision to introduce emissions standards has already been made without consultation.

Finally, introducing a standard like this is not just a matter of Government diktat from on-high, to come into effect immediately, unless your objective is to implement an ill-thought-through policy that has lots of gaps and holes, stuff that no-one thought about (because there was inadequate consultation) and a policy that will lead to chaos, controversy, complete industry disruption, corporate disobedience, and a change of Government in 2025. Just think about all the pieces of the puzzle that need to be defined, in full detail:
  • Full technical definition of what the emissions standard will be (we may or may not simply ‘pinch’ a standard used elsewhere, but even to do that requires time and effort to decided which one you pick, and why)
  • Decision on when it will start, or how it will be phased in and over what time period
  • How the standard will be measured and enforced, and to what vehicle categories the standard will apply
  • What penalties will apply if the standard is not met
  • Exceptions or appeal mechanisms if the standards can’t be met through force majeure events
  • Consideration of supply chain issues and what is practically achievable in terms of meeting the standards given global vehicle production. There is no point introducing a standard if it turns out it is simply impossible to meet.
And that’s just some issues off the top of my head. I’m not a public policy expert, nor an industry expert, there will be a whole host of issues that need to be worked through to define a new set of rules that an entire industry will need to abide by.

A little less cynicism and a little more appreciation that we don’t live under a dictatorship would not go astray.
Thanks for that thoughtful analysis @Vostok, something I’ve come to appreciate you for.

The thing is, like some here, I'm pretty frustrated after decades of warnings and little govt action. I certainly latched on to this when this thread first appeared, as overblown as it was, and then felt deflated last Wednesday when the announcement came.
It's true that we mustn't forget that there is a lot of FUD out there amongst voters, enough to ensure that the Lib/Nat's are still major political forces. So your analysis is useful in expressing caution to our excitement about a cleaner future.

I guess Australians (and we're certainly not alone in the world on this) are fundamentally centre/conservative, with day-to-day lives which mean that they don't devote any time to lifting their head to think about the future beyond their next holiday. That was me to a great extent during my busy working life.

Leadership certainly needs to be nuanced, and I'm optimistic enough to feel as if Labor, needing Greens and Pocock senate support, will do as you've suggested. Maybe Labor will manage to combat the FUD.
But many here believe humanity’s time has almost run out to maintain a comfortable existence and prevent a disrupted and conflict torn Earth.

Reactions: Vostok
Thanks for that thoughtful analysis @Vostok, something I’ve come to appreciate you for.

The thing is, like some here, I'm pretty frustrated after decades of warnings and little govt action. I certainly latched on to this when this thread first appeared, as overblown as it was, and then felt deflated last Wednesday when the announcement came.
It's true that we mustn't forget that there is a lot of FUD out there amongst voters, enough to ensure that the Lib/Nat's are still major political forces. So your analysis is useful in expressing caution to our excitement about a cleaner future.

I guess Australians (and we're certainly not alone in the world on this) are fundamentally centre/conservative, with day-to-day lives which mean that they don't devote any time to lifting their head to think about the future beyond their next holiday. That was me to a great extent during my busy working life.

Leadership certainly needs to be nuanced, and I'm optimistic enough to feel as if Labor, needing Greens and Pocock senate support, will do as you've suggested. Maybe Labor will manage to combat the FUD.
But many here believe humanity’s time has almost run out to maintain a comfortable existence and prevent a disrupted and conflict torn Earth.

Ha! Murdoch/Sky/Fox's credibility is in tatters following the Dominion debacle.