Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big difference between the range and predicted mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought a used model 3.

Currently there is a big difference between the range and predicted mileage (Range 212 expected 120

Any suggestions?

Yes, my suggestion would be searching TMC for the word "Range" and grab some snacks and a beverage for a lot of reading.

Note: If you want a VERY TL; DR its "there is nothing to fix, there is nothing wrong, and without a LOT more information we cant even begin to tell you why you are seeing what you are seeing. What we CAN tell you though, is that nothing is wrong".

Since you chose the user name "Range101" here are a couple of threads that fit into that description:

There are probably 100 more though (at least), should you be inclined to look through them.

Upvote 1

Currently there is a big difference between the range and predicted mileage (Range 212 expected 120

Any suggestions?
Yup. Your first good lesson is asking that question. Keep reading about how to manage range and pay attention to your own experience. Then, in time, you'll become a pro and teach others. It's not very hard.

Upvote 0
The lesson here is don't believe the expected miles provided to you by Tesla. It is just B.S. Switch to using battery percentage instead and figure out what your range is on your own.
I find it more useful to have the rated range number and adding a margin than to use battery percentage. The rated range number gives more granularity too than percentage (200+ vs 100 units).

Upvote 0
LOL, sounds like me 2 1/2 years ago when I got my Y. Thought I bought a car that would do close to advertised miles then found out you need to drop that by a good 20% and a heck of a lot more if you are in cold winter conditions. You will eventually get over it and learn how far in reality you can go with your driving habits and conditions. In the mean time, just enjoy the amazing driving sensation of a Tesla EV. Liked it so much, a year later my wife inherited the Y and got myself an S.

If you are in ideal conditions which would be sunny dry roads and temps around 75 so you do not need to use any type of heat/AC. The road needs to be as straight as possible and absolutely no incline. Preferably a slight downhill all the way and drive no greater than 50mph. Make sure tires are at least at 100% of recommended but adding a few pounds more will get you an extra few miles. If you opted for larger wheels then all bets are off. Pretend you are in an old beat up junk pile and accelerate from any stop at a 0-60 time of 20 seconds while in chill mode. All this accounted for you may just make the range and predicted figures get pretty close.

You will overcome the range anxiety thing. Never did have an ICE vehicle that was close to EPA either however with a gas station close by wherever you go, you do not think about it at all. Just drive and pump dino pee into her as much as you like and be on your way.

Reactions: Arthur31
Upvote 0
One tip: The TRIP range is extremely accurate. The estimated range is not. If you are going somewhere, enter it in the Nav, and use the trip info. Tesla has recently updated the algorithm to more accurately reflect the weather and such and I have found even in very poor weather that it is very accurate. Last week I did a 150 km trip at -10°C and windy and the trip was only off by like 2% when I arrived. Last year the trip would be wildly optimistic in the winter and then drop like a rock while driving.

Upvote 0

Any suggestions?
I usually figure I can travel 25-30 miles per 10% of charge on my 2021 3LR AWD. 25 with 4 passengers, luggage, AC blasting on the freeway with a headwind. 30 at 60mph with AC, passengers and a headwind. I don't have the aero wheel covers on and I have non-green ev 18 in tires (conti extreme contact).

Upvote 0

Any suggestions?
The more info you give the better people are able to understand whether your range is normal, or whether there is something else going on. Presumably you have a SR. Are you on recent software? Do you have the Energy screen? Snow tires, cold temps, using heat, driving speed, all that basic info helps.

Here's a useful screen, the Energy screen:
IMG_6522.jpeg

What can that screen tell us? Well the white diagonal line is the EPA rating. It says I should get 3.1miles per 1% of SOC, on the EPA test cycle. The yellow diagonal line is my actual driving. I'm fairly close, but I drive far faster than the EPA test cycle. I'm driving about 78mph.

If you extrapolate my 27.4% used against 70.5miles driven, I have an estimated 257 miles of range, compared to my EPA-rated 310 miles. Not great, but it's 43F outside, I'm driving 78mph. In summer, I'll do a lot better.

Upvote 0

Any suggestions?

Projected Range = Vehicle Constant * Rated Range Remaining / Recent Efficiency
(These values taken from the consumption screen.)

Always!

Vehicle Constant can be derived various ways but is 5Wh/mi (3Wh/km) below the rated line on the Consumption screen.

You can also get it from driving such that your rated range matches projected range and at that point the recent efficiency is equal to the Vehicle Constant but that would be a circular method in this case.

Upvote 0
One tip: The TRIP range is extremely accurate. The estimated range is not. If you are going somewhere, enter it in the Nav, and use the trip info. Tesla has recently updated the algorithm to more accurately reflect the weather and such and I have found even in very poor weather that it is very accurate. Last week I did a 150 km trip at -10°C and windy and the trip was only off by like 2% when I arrived. Last year the trip would be wildly optimistic in the winter and then drop like a rock while driving.
I recently did a 1300 mile drive in cold conditions and I found the TRIP range was 5-10% off. It really gives wacky predictions in the first few minutes of driving after super charging. On one leg it predicted 6% battery left to start and I ended up with 20%. It changed that prediction a few minutes in.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Upvote 0
I think I'm part of a very small minority, because I never use the Miles Remaining option at the top of the main screen. Instead, I use the Battery Percentage. During long trips with navigation, I'll use the Energy Graph, which has worked pretty well for me.

It seems to me no different than using the fuel gauge for an ICE vehicle.

Most ICE vehicles for the last few years have had a trip computer option to show estimated miles of range left based on fuel level and current fuel efficiency, but I've used several and found them to be more unreliable than I now find Tesla's Energy Graph. When I first refilled my gas tank, they were either too optimistic or too pessimistic at first, and then when I got low on gas, they were always too pessimistic.

Upvote 0