Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Biggest Positive and Negative Surprises About Model 3 AWD Performance Version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much "juice" the heater takes: My first mostly-freeway commute to work (12.5 miles) I averaged 318 Wh/mile, even though I kept my speed moderate (66-ish mph). This commute is slightly hilly and the destination is 200-300 feet higher in altitude than the point of origination, but that number still seemed high.
I later realized I'd had the heat on, and made it a point to turn the climate control system completely off for subsequent commutes.
The results: Same route, same speed, roughly 240 Wh/mile.

Other manufacturers use heat pumps for heating - I wish Tesla would do that. It's great that the Tesla heater can heat so effectively, but a heat pump would potentially deliver the same amount of heat with less than a third the energy consumption. Given that they already have an AC (which is basically a heat pump hardwired for cooling), this seems like an obvious enhancement.
Heat pumps in cars really don't offer that much improvement in efficiency.

And my number one pet peeve . . . left out for some reason, is that the free supercharging promised to those Model 3P orders paid and deposited before Sept 16th hasn't materialized. Does anyone else with this benefit (all the early buyers of the 3P) know what the story is, and when the account will show the corrected status?

I saw with my own eyes at a SuperCharger a RWD charging where the tallying price was shown on the Charge Screen (when you open the door). While mine was blank in that same spot on the same supercharger (mine is a P3D- with referral fresh deposit/order on Sept 14). My account still shows Pay Per Use.

My Friend that got a RWD had the price of the last Supercharge right from the Delivery Center charging it up.

What I'm suspecting is what is showing on our account is that Free Supercharging is NOT an Option on the Car (like it used to be for S and X a while back).

But there might be Free Supercharging to the current owner but there is no place to show that right now but it might be active.

That is my optimistic take on it.

And my number one pet peeve . . . left out for some reason, is that the free supercharging promised to those Model 3P orders paid and deposited before Sept 16th hasn't materialized. Does anyone else with this benefit (all the early buyers of the 3P) know what the story is, and when the account will show the corrected status?
Same as others, my account says pay-per-use but I'm not getting charged.

Only real issue for me (minor) is rear visibility. If someone's too close they disappear below my trunk line and I can't tell if they're 6" away or still safely away. Minor trade-off for an incredibly large trunk and roomy cabin.

Otherwise, the P3D is so superior to everything in its class and even many alleged classes above, it's stupid.

Biggest adjustment for me is that it is simply too dang fast.... I find myself constantly holding back. I literally sometimes switch it to chill mode so I can have the feeling of pushing the accelerator to the floor without looking like an absolute maniac like I do if I floor it in sport acceleration mode.

Biggest adjustment for me is that it is simply too dang fast.... I find myself constantly holding back. I literally sometimes switch it to chill mode so I can have the feeling of pushing the accelerator to the floor without looking like an absolute maniac like I do if I floor it in sport acceleration mode.

My P3D+ is coming in soon. I've test drove it several times and that was the feeling I got. I'm wondering will I adjust to it. It's hard because it's so instant instead of working its way up like ICE cars so you can lose track of speed. Some users suggest setting a speed limit notification/chime.

I was unpleasantly surprised that it doesn't have XM-Sirius Satellite radio. I got very used to that in my 2013 Model S P85. I know I can stream it from my phone over BT, but if I don't have a decent cell signal, that doesn't work. That is one of the beauties of satellite radio.

Other than that, I absolutely love my Model 3 Performance with the PUP, EAP, and FSD.

Absolutely agree!!! Love this car more than I would have imagined. Wish it had Sirius and better blind spot warning.

My P3D+ is coming in soon. I've test drove it several times and that was the feeling I got. I'm wondering will I adjust to it. It's hard because it's so instant instead of working its way up like ICE cars so you can lose track of speed. Some users suggest setting a speed limit notification/chime.

Chill mode will help you get use to it if you're not use to EVs. Its an issue in all decent EVs (the non decent ones take some time to get to that speed :p) because we rely so much on sound and rumble to determine speed.

I do miss the blindspot detection that my wife's C300 has but coming from a Spark EV (and other cheap vehicles) which lacked any type of detection nor a rearview camera, I can live with it.

Chill mode will help you get use to it if you're not use to EVs. Its an issue in all decent EVs (the non decent ones take some time to get to that speed :p) because we rely so much on sound and rumble to determine speed.

I do miss the blindspot detection that my wife's C300 has but coming from a Spark EV (and other cheap vehicles) which lacked any type of detection nor a rearview camera, I can live with it.

In what ways would chill mode help me get a feel for sport mode? I'm usually always gunning every chance I get haha

Just noticed your sig, I remember you debated for a long time and went with P3D- and now you have a P3D+?! Congrats!

What's the reason changing?

Ordered my P3D in July and got it late September. Went to supercharger about 10 times so far. Never been charged. In fact I don't know or can't find where they tell you if you got charged. It doesn't show anywhere on the car monitor nor on the web when I log in with my account. Looks like its completely transparent.