Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bike rack for model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally don't like the tesla rack because it hangs bikes by the frame which i don't like. I have the 1up on my LR 7 seater and is very sturdy and looks good on the car. It even protects the back bumper when folded away which is the other reason i like it. Bear in mind that the sensors in rear will go off like crazy since it blocks the sensors (if you have them).

Reactions: akidesir and Gaige
20221102_133710.jpg
20220712_193440.jpg

Reactions: KevinT3141
Thanks all for the inputs. I am looking for 4 bike racks specifically as I am looking to carry 2 kids bikes & 2 adult bikes or maybe 4 kids bikes! Would you be able to post links to your recommended item?

Anyone know if there are bike racks that fit the MY with capability for 6 bikes?

Thanks all for the inputs. I am looking for 4 bike racks specifically as I am looking to carry 2 kids bikes & 2 adult bikes or maybe 4 kids bikes! Would you be able to post links to your recommended item?

Anyone know if there are bike racks that fit the MY with capability for 6 bikes?
I have not come across a 4 or more bike rack that will be under the tongue weight limit of the Y hitch when loaded with bikes. I am fairly confident that the max is a 2 bike rack (if you want to stay under the Y hitch tongue weight limit).

"When using the tow package to carry accessories, the 2 x 2 inch (5 x 5 centimeter) square hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads of up to 160 pounds." Model Y Tow Package | Tesla Support

Yes, the Y can certainly tow a trailer weighing more than 160lbs because little of that weight is on the hitch tongue and there is little static weight vertically on the hitch tongue. A bike rack puts all the weight on the hitch tongue and acts as a big bouncing lever arm and thus has a very high dynamic load while the car is driving.

This is discussed and argued in many threads.

@Sandiegodoug 's suggestion to use a roof rack also is a good one.

Last edited:
Oh wow, as I look through some of these threads and on the web, its getting confusing. there's just so many choices.

Do you guys recommend the hanging on the hitch or the tray style on the hitch? I am not keen on going on the roof as i think its going to kill more range than the hitch ones.

I think one of the comments above mentions that the tray style ones will mess with the rear sensors / cameras of the MY. Can anyone confirm that?

Also most reviews out there show loading of adult sized bikes. Will kids bikes fit into the tray style bike racks or the hanging ones?

Last edited:
I think one of the comments above mentions that the tray style ones will mess with the rear sensors / cameras of the MY. Can anyone confirm that?
Both types will affect the parking sensors. I have both 😁 .

Also most reviews out there show loading of adult sized bikes. Will kids bikes fit into the tray style bike racks or the hanging ones?
That depends on the specific rack/carrier, and bikes. I've carried kids bikes on the hanging carrier because it is using the bike frame. Tray rack will have minimum wheel sizes that it supports and that will dictate the smallest kid bike size it can carry.

Thank you for the further insight. I am still deciding on which one to get. Its a bummer that the hanging and tray ones both interfere with the sensors. Especially with the latest update from Tesla there is the park assist, I am concerned that there will be constant alerts from the sensors. :-(

Thank you for the further insight. I am still deciding on which one to get. Its a bummer that the hanging and tray ones both interfere with the sensors. Especially with the latest update from Tesla there is the park assist, I am concerned that there will be constant alerts from the sensors. :-(
its only when youre backing up ... its a good reminder you have bikes back there

Just got a MY 7 seater with tow package about two weeks ago. I am looking to get a bike rack. I see tesla sells one for 540. Are there any other good options for a bike rack?
I have LR7 too. It really depends on what you plan to carry (how many bikes and types) and if you have other vehicles using the hitch too. If I only use my MY for this, then I would get something like 1UP or other with similar design. Since I use mine with my camper van also, I got the one with swing arm. I don't want to have separate hitch rack for different vehicles.
6ujUzker9xKNKbCmwDR_8PEjyjyEzCgD-1-fRl1x0pDFC_nco1q4YEF5UVKZ-CMpc1T8byOfK5UO5XFIbJTX7FiEjNrv-6pSWLhnzlFq0QEvruVnvwajd2zY9efQDrnaMdZWwl6amUfIHqmUHrcNgYbsTff5gQuGUC_7TaCzYNKahPlQUSG-QQdjDcgJnYk3gKupMCimgwfuhzAkhe-ZLmMeehn0kn9TD4DPMot1LZEVYKqKqhA9ORM-CAGoaoK16qzPlYDfBJ3BC8ANzbgA8bFlYcM_57Vol6WvPUHBy8N7KKFijYz5ijInJN_dCXkoRv_RbKV0n44ABoQWvP4P4GC3esuV3ECpJXQTaJMxb84R6jAyDQnVRmG6SNipLZaS0yvLClYBiCvRnwnXSVCkscVxWPh3JO0f7gexspUxukWhr9V852wbx0vkjBsNyLFze746oLYa36Jkywxm2zAdf36d9yKd7vcI6pwJxFJN491x1uctu3lV-4Re9JAvY5mLo7KmJyg8MaVPw5vJQul5M8WQSdbYro2eWJC1ME47NM27mwkX3OIO4GQuUV2MVsC7Wxl2F3g-jQA51HNb2Ro0SLHv7I_w31XtTJmDag53ttYx_hpI4s33i44wEcIIHrwmcv1yP4ACNkeVItRJSkp6v55JUF7iwWcWnLkAja0SWGbPsC62Na3YzfgVBoguuAu-gshsj8tSyxK74rfX9kYCEpQu5r4Qw_NLhlV9CTErKM8s2V3xNGDawlrb74CuCrgmTY4v5DV6TwvI2nYBnGgI2wAsUl9U9EIO5QGtbqPwRKsSyWdprL9Se_Dh-5MaxjGY9BbJPSfsB28jyhEb7ulpZzNIq7N6E9fjzDE3S3KknmCEGAd9uZWGZA4qBWqNMfxDbIVz8PzeLHsetfA0MpXvjx6dZdrVQdPpJEqTOSIA8JJY3OFK5g=w1009-h757-s-no