Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Birds eye visualizations after latest update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently updated my 2022 LR Model 3 (with basic autopilot) to 2022.16.1.2 and noticed something pretty interesting. When pulling up behind a vehicle, like at a red light, the vehicle would normally shift to the top-down visualization that displays the distance between the object in front of the vehicle. Ever since the latest update, I've noticed that I'm able to see the cars around me as well. This is basically the vector birds eye view that everyone has been asking for. I've had my car for about 6 months and I've never noticed this before, but I could be wrong. Can anyone confirm if this is new?

Only issue I have with it is that it seems to be kind of hard to trigger. You have to pull up pretty close to the car in front. It would be nice to have a way to trigger it manually when navigating tight spaces such as your garage or in a drive thru with sharp turns.

tempImage1pH67y.jpg

This is not the bird's eye view everyone has wanted. It's just a graphical representation.
Right, but I don’t think we’ll ever get a traditional bird’s eye view since the cameras are not in the proper locations. Elon suggested that a graphical representation could be coming as a part of the FSD package, which would be as good as it gets with current hardware. Although I’m assuming the version he was suggesting would be more advanced and take curbs and other things into account.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Bird eye view is a projection looking forward that shows the horizon - what you would see from the cockpit of an aircraft looking forward rather than straight down. It has the advantage that it shows objects close to you in detail but includes distant information at a coarser scale. I would love to have a birds eye view for the right hand nav display.

Tesla really needs to upgrade our cameras, the resolution sucks.

the cameras are not designed for a human to look at they are for the AI to analyse things.
Sentry mode was only introduced because owners used to comment on how cool this would be and I think it took Tesla like 2 or 3 years to make this mode.

Birdseye has been requested a lot too - im not sure what the holdup is. There are plenty of cars with only a rearview camera which offer birdseye (via memory).

the cameras are not designed for a human to look at they are for the AI to analyse things.
Sentry mode was only introduced because owners used to comment on how cool this would be and I think it took Tesla like 2 or 3 years to make this mode.

Birdseye has been requested a lot too - im not sure what the holdup is. There are plenty of cars with only a rearview camera which offer birdseye (via memory).
True, but Tesla knew what they'd also be used for down the road because they are supposed to be smart people. Tesla seems more concerned with adding more games to our cars than well, fixing bugs and safety features. I'm really losing faith in them.

The overhead view that shows your car against its surroundings as remapped from camera data is very useful but was patented by Nissan. My Infiniti had this - it was very useful for parking and it would be useful in a Tesla for avoiding curb rash. Nissan cars with this feature have downward facing cameras on the side mirrors, a front camera that is low and at the front of the car and a rear view camera that sees the ground fairly close in. This overhead view is a direct remapping of pixels - no interpretation or models generated.

Could Tesla do this? I think FSD has the ability to parallel park so it must create a model of this area to locate the curb - showing this would be helpful. I don’t know what Tesla shows during FSD parking. Tesla could paint this model with the data from the existing cameras - I’m not sure what the limitations of the Nissan patent are - when it expires or if Tesla could license.

I would like this to be available.

As you note- that Nissan has cameras pointing at those areas.

Tesla vehicles do not....they physically can not see below the hood line ahead of the front fender cams.

So no, it can't do a full overhead 360 parking view because there's significant close-to-car blind spots. These aren't much of an issue for driving, which is what those locations were picked for.

And you'll note self-parking back into spots- so not an issue there either.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
The overhead view that shows your car against its surroundings as remapped from camera data is very useful but was patented by Nissan. My Infiniti had this - it was very useful for parking and it would be useful in a Tesla for avoiding curb rash. Nissan cars with this feature have downward facing cameras on the side mirrors, a front camera that is low and at the front of the car and a rear view camera that sees the ground fairly close in. This overhead view is a direct remapping of pixels - no interpretation or models generated.
The front camera that is low and at the front of the car is what is not present on Tesla cars, so a top-down view would be missing the ability to see stuff close to the front of the car like curbs.

The curb rash on the wheels is easy to do on the Model 3 probably because the wheel is wide relative to the tire, so the tire does not bulge out, unlike on some other cars.

The curb rash on the wheels is easy to do on the Model 3 probably because the wheel is wide relative to the tire, so the tire does not bulge out, unlike on some other cars.
This is one of my biggest issues with Tesla, the wheels (rims) stick out farther than the tires. I've never had curb rash in any vehicle I've owned until I got my Model 3. I know Tesla chose this setup for better range but does it really get us that much more range over having a tire that sticks out and protects the wheels. And since the wheels cost more than the tires, you'd think they would be protected.

- I’m not sure what the limitations of the Nissan patent are - when it expires or if Tesla could license.

I would like this to be available.
I can't speak to Nissan's patents (or lack of) and the licensing situation but many other non-Nissans have the equivalent of Nissan Around View Monitor. I enjoyed that on my former '13 Leafs for almost 8 years.

For instance, my former '19 Bolt Premier had GM Surround Vision which did the same thing except it didn't have a right side curb view. That was remedied with '20 Bolt Premiers which added more features (skip to 0:40 of
). It was available on 1st model year Bolt ('17). Don't know why he
calls is a "secret" but you can see it if you skip to 0:19.

As I mentioned at So Tired of Curb Rash!, I've test driven Toyotas with it. I posted to a Toyota how to video posted in 2016.

I can’t believe that I rely on 360 camera views this much! shows an Audi example. What's the value of 360º bird's eye view? has a Ford example from 2015.
from Feb 2018 is pretty fancy.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Have you tried learning how to park better instead of relying on banging up your tires instead of rims when you park poorly?
First off, anyone can get curb rash, no matter how good they are at parking, so don't be a jerk. And I've never relied on my tires to protect my rims, but it's good to know that they would, it's good insurance.

First off, anyone can get curb rash, no matter how good they are at parking

How?

Literally the only way to get it would be to hit the curb. Which is the opposite of being good at parking.

Folks managed to learn how to do it correctly for like a century before parking cameras started showing up-- guess it's a dying art or something.

How?

Literally the only way to get it would be to hit the curb. Which is the opposite of being good at parking.

Folks managed to learn how to do it correctly for like a century before parking cameras started showing up-- guess it's a dying art or something.
They also were more likely to have the following:
  • Tires that bulged out from the wheel.
  • Higher profile tires where the sidewall was taller than the curb.
  • Curb feelers.
Otherwise, they would have to be able to see through parts of the car to see how close the passenger side wheels were to the curb if they wanted to park reasonably closely to the curb without touching it.

They also were more likely to have the following:
  • Tires that bulged out from the wheel.
  • Higher profile tires where the sidewall was taller than the curb.
  • Curb feelers.
Otherwise, they would have to be able to see through parts of the car to see how close the passenger side wheels were to the curb if they wanted to park reasonably closely to the curb without touching it.

Curb feelers?

Like from the 1950s?

Congrats on having an even worse argument than the other guy :)

As to tire profile, I've been on 50 series profile tires or less for decades yet somehow manage to not keep running my wheels into curbs. Must be magic.

How?

Remember when Clarkson reviewed a BMW in the 90s commenting on the reverse camera and how that is the most useless feature ever coz you can literally just look over your shoulder and see out the window!
I do admit, cars have become bigger since then but it still makes me chuckle.