Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTC was at 48K on Feb 12. Now it's at 67K. Huge volume. Still think Bitcoin is affecting TSLA price with some shareholders selling TSLA to buy BTC. Faster horse. (Don't read anything into this comment other than trying to inform the board about things affecting the stock ... I'm quite happy where TSLA is right now (too low) and think the next few years will be very good for us.)
I think I may have been hasty in doubting this theory. I just reduced my own 401k TSLA position to add to my FBTC. (sorry everyone) While I still think retail isn't big enough to move prices, I wonder if some big money is starting to rotate into BTC. NVDA and other Mag 7 will be affected as well.

In just two months, the ETFs have taken in $55 BILLION. Nobody thought this would happen this fast. Most of the world and many institutions in the US still don't have access to BTC ETFs but that is changing very fast. The ETFs are absorbing roughly 10x the current daily production of 900 bitcoin, and this daily production will be halved in less than a month. I think we're going parabolic.

Tesla should use some of its warchest to buy more Bitcoin.

For perspective, the gold ETFs have been around 20 years and have a total market cap around $100 million. Bitcoin ETFs did that in two months.

Gold went on an 8-year bull run after gold ETFs launched in 2004.
Yeah, it feels like winter is well and truly done and we'll get a few months of crazy due to ETF + halving. I'm looking to sell down some BTC in this next run when thinks look a bit nutty.

Reactions: elasalle
Nobody thought this would happen this fast.
There have been plenty of believers. In fact 15 years ago when Bitcoin had like 2 users, Hal Finney wrote this:
1710200759107.png

We are getting close to 1% of that very ambitious number. What a ride it has been. $0. $1/1337, $72k. What is the next number in that series?

• Love
Reactions: alhounos
FIAT can also do something 'special' -It can be 'printed' - BTC cannot. Watch your Dollar debase year on year. Tesla should add to their holdings. Scratch beneath the surface of 'BTC has no intrinsic value' and 'its all a scam'...
A 'currency' with fixed supply and a growing population absolutely permanently locks-in inherited wealth and colossal inequality. There is a good reason we are not on the 'gold standard' any more, its economic suicide. Bitcoin is beanie babies for techbros, and I'm embarrassed Tesla ever bought any of it. Its also environmentally catastrophic, something Tesla claims to be concerned about.

FIAT can also do something 'special' -It can be 'printed' - BTC cannot. Watch your Dollar debase year on year. Tesla should add to their holdings. Scratch beneath the surface of 'BTC has no intrinsic value' and 'its all a scam'...
Printing money is an important tool in Monetary Policy, yes it can be abused, but it's valuable. That's why I believe (but could be wrong) BTC will never becoming anything more than a speculative investment or as a way to hide ones footsteps in the financial world.

A 'currency' with fixed supply and a growing population absolutely permanently locks-in inherited wealth and colossal inequality. There is a good reason we are not on the 'gold standard' any more, its economic suicide. Bitcoin is beanie babies for techbros, and I'm embarrassed Tesla ever bought any of it. Its also environmentally catastrophic, something Tesla claims to be concerned about.
While I disagree, there is another interesting part about your post. Namely, a well-known now ex-member Cliffsky shared your disapproval for BTC in very same manner to the point that he did leave this forum. Interesting, because he was also from the same neck of the woods as you are.

Right now BitPay is the only 3rd party I trust with my coins and only in the fact that they convert them to USD immediately on deposit and then I have a Mastercard backed by a US bank to spend the USD.

Here are the limits of pulling BTC into USD this way

The maximum aggregate value of your Card Account(s) may not exceed $25,000 at any time. The maximum value will be determined by aggregating the activity and value of all Card Accounts you may have with the Program. For security reasons, we may further limit the
number or dollar amount of transactions you can make with your Card. The following grid is provided in order to highlight the frequency and limitations of cardholder transactions in a single day or additional time frame if warranted:

Transaction/load type Maximum amount

Maximum balance on the card $25,000 (Maximum balance on card at any time)
Cash withdrawal (ATM & bank teller) $2,000 per withdrawal, 3 withdrawals per day, $25,000 per month
Purchases (POS) $10,000 per day (the “Daily Purchase Limit”)
Value loads $10,000 per day (Any combination of all supported load types)

basically the only place I'd want to spend my BTC is directly with Tesla to buy a car, directly to the bank which holds my home mortgage (which won't accept BTC or my Bitpay Debit card, the only thing they will accept is a bank account number), directly to my Checking* so I can pay other bills, or directly to my Stock account*.

I haven't found any way to move funds from the Bitpay prepaid debit card directly to my checking or Stock brokers account. So the only way I know to use my BTC without trusting a 3rd party other than Bitpay with my BTC is to put it on the debit card and then pay small bills (like cell phone, meals at a restaurant, car insurance, and such) or pull money out of an ATM $2,000 at a time, carry it by hand to my bank teller and deposit it there. BTW ATM or Teller withdrawals have a fee of $2.50 and a third party surcharge may apply.

So if BTC gets high enough for my checking account gets low enough I can pull ~$2,000 at a time over from BTC to my checking through several steps (BTC - Bitpay debit card - ATM - Bank).

If any brick and mortar US bank in my city would do the bitcoin to USD conversion for a reasonable fee (less than 0.15% I'd open checking account with them and skip the Bitpay middle man.

TIL, apparently somewhere in the last few years (I checked and in 2020 I couldn't send BTC to them) Robinhood started accepting incoming bitcoin so I can now just send BTC to robinhood, then send it to my checking from there without dealing with an overseas bitcoin exchange or bitpay debit card or anything cumbersome or risky like that.

I mean Robinhood isn't the least risky company I've ever heard of but I still trust them more than coinbase or any overseas bitcoin exchange. And I will move small amounts through there in batches not leaving more than a few thousand dollars at a time in their hands.

So this might be the year I finally use some of my bitcoin profits to pay for part of a car.

I said above "I'd pay cash for part and use the BTC for the remaining amount, something like 50/50 or similar just to hedge my bets."

well now I get to actually watch the price and decide when to pull the trigger...

Last edited:
How long was the US on the gold standard and did that period lead to economic ruin? I think the opposite.

It seems that inequality in the US has grown right along with the growth in M2 supply. Is that compatible with your statement?

I truly don’t understand these types of posts. I’ve been completely wrong many times in life so this could be another case, but at the moment I’m not seeing it.

How long have you studied Bitcoin and in what way? Rhetorical question really, but I do wonder.

If Bitcoin is bad for the environment, then so are Tesla vehicles. They both consume energy. They dont produce it with a certain method or technique.

Reactions: alhounos and heltok
I truly don’t understand these types of posts. I’ve been completely wrong many times in life so this could be another case, but at the moment I’m not seeing it.

How long have you studied Bitcoin and in what way? Rhetorical question really, but I do wonder.
I have been semi involved in crypto 12 years. So many times have I statements like:
"I don't understand anything about Bitcoin, have never used it and have only thought about it for a few minutes, but here why it can never work and why all you guys are wrong".

Seen a lot of same mentality about Tesla over the years. I think many people, me sometimes included, primarily do system 1 thinking, then they try to rationalize the system 1 "conclusions" and see what sticks. It's just too much energy to listen to take in new ideas and engage in system 2 thinking for most people. When their arguments fail they don't see this as an "aha, maybe the other guy knows something I don't and I should listen to him" but more of a "ahh this was embarrassing, let's try to save the situation quickly by trying a new argument or by going irrational and ending the debate".

And yeah, this is not an argument for or against Bitcoin, just against people who are new to it dismissing the ideas of people who have worked on it and thought about it a lot.

Reactions: chdlmc and alhounos
Your graph to me is less informative as it’sa ratio, and it still shows a 2x anyway.
Isn't wealth inequality the ratio between the wealth of the rich and the wealth of the poor?
The Great Recession caused a huge increase in wealth inequality due to the housing crash (which recovered much more slowly than the equity market.)
M2 has increased between 2011 and now and yet wealth inequality has dropped (admittedly it seems to have leveled out).