Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GDP per capita also grew a lot:
View attachment 1022802

And yeah it has continued. Imo more thanks to technology than deflation/inflation. My main argument was a lot of economists will say we "need" inflation and that with deflation you get depressions. But we have many longer time periods where this was not the case, so the word "need" is likely false. It may or not be better, I think this is up for debate.

Bitcoin is an interesting experiment with hyperdeflation. Back in the days a lot of people on the internet were saying that Bitcoin being hyperdeflationary would mean that nobody would spend their bitcoins and Bitcoin would die. For me this seemed like a stupid argument, if they really believed in that then they would be stupid to not invest in bitcoins. And imo as they didn't either they were stupid or they hated money... 10+ years later we have the answer, Bitcoins value has gone up and its usage has also gone up, so clearly these people were wrong.
Yes, the experiment has shown that approximately zero people will use a deflationary "currency" as a currency.

Yes, the experiment has shown that approximately zero people will use a deflationary "currency" as a currency.
The only way to make people use inflationary fiat is by decree. And even if the Bitcoin experiment hasn't reached large amount of users yet, the crypto user base has grown from 1 to millions, maybe hundreds of millions, in the last 15 years:

And they did this even though cryptos/Bitcoin were disinflationary/deflationary.

It takes time for a group to change from one network to another. Same with EVs, first very few people drive EVs, today still a low percent drive EVs, but the growth has been exponential and if the exponential are allowed to work over a few decades eventually it gets a very large mass.

The only way to make people use inflationary fiat is by decree. And even if the Bitcoin experiment hasn't reached large amount of users yet, the crypto user base has grown from 1 to millions, maybe hundreds of millions, in the last 15 years:

And they did this even though cryptos/Bitcoin were disinflationary/deflationary.

It takes time for a group to change from one network to another. Same with EVs, first very few people drive EVs, today still a low percent drive EVs, but the growth has been exponential and if the exponential are allowed to work over a few decades eventually it gets a very large mass.

LOL

YOUR source said:
Having used a variety of methods and studies, it is not possible to put a definitive figure on how many people use Bitcoin in 2023.

You also kinda ignored the "as currency" part of the question you failed to answer. As your own source admits, what data we DO have could just be speculators/FOMO chasers trading tulips among themselves-- not using it as currency

The only way to make people use inflationary fiat is by decree.

AFAIK that's the only way to "make" people use BTC as currency as well-- and you need the added factor of "having an otherwise entirely failed economy/currency" - ie El Salvador and the Central African Republic

Reactions: Daniel in SD
Saying Bitcoin is not a useful currency is completely misunderstanding why people hold Bitcoin. It is a store of value, like gold. People hold Bitcoin for the same reasons people hold gold… to protect their hard-earned wealth from being inflated away over time. Simple as that.

You can compare it to investing in a stock market index fund or to precious metals, but don’t compare it to dollars.

Saying Bitcoin is not a useful currency is completely misunderstanding why people hold Bitcoin. It is a store of value, like gold. People hold Bitcoin for the same reasons people hold gold

An outdated understanding of economics?

I do appreciate that you're at least only running HALF the bitcoin con versus the other folks in this thread who insists it's actually Money Of the Future
(or the Dippin Dots of cash)

You can compare it to investing in a stock market index fund or to precious metals

I could- except those get you ownership of an actual physical thing, that can be used for actual productive purpose- not a fictional ledger entry,

Buying lithium will be something you can profitably sell to turn into electric car batteries that'll be sold profitably.

Buying TSLA gives you ownership of an actual company with actual revenue and profits.

Even physical gold, despite being discarded as useful for money some time ago, gives you something useful for jewelry and electronics.

Buying BTC gives you... a blockchain entry saying you own BTC.

Bit more, mostly from the Financial Times, about how deeply meh the reaction to the BTC ETFs has been-

--------

Bitcoin has lost 16 per cent of its value over the past two weeks, as some investors use the much-hyped launch of bitcoin exchange traded funds earlier this month to take profits and exit their holdings of the volatile cryptocurrency.

The price of bitcoin sank as much as 3 per cent on Tuesday, falling below $39,000 for the first time since early December.

The recent losses have unwound part of a huge rally late last year, which came amid fevered speculation that the launch of mainstream stock market funds tracking the world’s leading crypto token would draw in new investors to bitcoin.

But the flows into the ETFs — many launched by big Wall Street players such as BlackRock — have underwhelmed and investors who bought them have been left with hefty losses.

The 10 new funds launched on January 11, after they were approved by the US Securities and Exchange Commission, had collectively pulled in $4.7bn by the end of Tuesday, according to crypto investment group CoinShares. Bitcoin traded at $46,100 on the day the ETFs were launched, but has fallen steadily since.

At the same time, $3.4bn has left Grayscale’s fund, the world’s largest bitcoin investment vehicle, since it converted to an ETF alongside the new launches.

-----
That’s $1.4 billion of net new demand. Coinmarketcap tells me that the total market capitalization of Bitcoin is about $775 billion, and it trades about $30 billion a day, so adding $1.4 billion just isn’t that much. It turns out that crypto enthusiasts anticipated much higher mainstream demand for Bitcoin ETFs than has so far manifested.

The bit below and above the ---- is all from the FT, the one paragraph after it is from Matt Levines reporting on how disinterested "new" people appear to be in BTC-- with the vast majority of the $ moved into them being money moved OUT of the much-harder-to-liquidate existing Grayscale BTC fund.

Bitcoin ETF activity seems to be much more than “meh”.

Reactions: alhounos
Bitcoin ETF activity seems to be much more than “meh”.

Not really.

The majority of it was moving out of the one, inferior, ETF that gave you BTC exposure into ones that were better.

It wasn't "new" money into bitcoin.

Here's coindesk also mentioning volume isn't a reliable "OMG new BTC investors" measure.

The Analyst from Bloomberg says:

“And I get that the coverage is relentless and prob annopying to some, but these numbers are absurd, highly rare stuff here.. it would be like asking a scientist not to get obsessed with Haley's Comet or something”.

Selling TSLA to buy BTC. I suspect that many Tesla investors are also Bitcoin investors. (I am.) Wouldn't surprise me if some have been selling some TSLA to buy more BTC.

EDIT: It looks like I'm saying that I'm selling TSLA, not true. The first line is meant as the subject rather than an action I'm taking.
BTC was at 48K on Feb 12. Now it's at 67K. Huge volume. Still think Bitcoin is affecting TSLA price with some shareholders selling TSLA to buy BTC. Faster horse. (Don't read anything into this comment other than trying to inform the board about things affecting the stock ... I'm quite happy where TSLA is right now (too low) and think the next few years will be very good for us.)

I would imagine heavy TSLA + BTC investors are largely retail (except for Cathie Wood) and are therefore unlikely to have enough weight to really move TSLA prices. But as a retail phenomenon, sure, those investors are looking at their returns and wishing they had more BTC, not more TSLA.

That applies to social media influencers too. For example, Invest Answers (~500k Youtube subscribers) has TSLA and BTC as his largest positions but is way more bullish on BTC in the coming year vs TSLA, while maintaining long-term confidence (and his position) in TSLA.

Personally over the past few months I have been trying to build up cash to get ready for buying opportunities in either TSLA or BTC. I bought a little TSLA today because it seemed reasonable at 189, but I would not have added if the price stayed above $210 or so. If BTC drops below $50k again I would love to add to it as well.

Fantastic overview of major milestones in bitcoin's history. Really puts the current moment into perspective.

I recently bought some shares in FBTC, the Fidelity bitcoin ETF, in my retirement account. Just think about that for a minute. Bitcoin has gone mainstream.

Head of investor relations at Tesla on board with advertising.

Halle-freaking-lujah!
View attachment 1026098
Made my first comment on Facebook about how good my Tesla over the past 2-1/2 years has been on saving fueling costs and driving pleasure and lack of range anxiety. Plus I had to say (telling the truth) I'm not a liberal but a Trump supporter otherwise my comment would be ignored.