Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bitten by Charging Interface or Bug Again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tessie charged during the peak time yesterday (.55/kWh). I was switching to scheduled departure from schedule charging (starting at 12:15 AM).

Knowing there are glitches and interface issues, I was careful setting it up. Also, when I finished I checked that it was not charging and the screen said it would be ready to depart at 10 AM.

Despite that, this morning I see the notification:

Screenshot_20230202-062834_Settings.jpg

Any ideas what happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
What does your car charging screen say? The car overrides the phone app.
I set it up in the car, stopped the charging, and confirmed that it said "Ready to depart ..." after I got out.

I think these problems occur when changing between scheduled charging and scheduled departure.

I sure would like a more sophisticated system to prevent or warn when charging at peak times occur.

As much as I like the Model 3, the software has me very much frustrated. They've made so many nearly useless changes, yet totally ignore some very important ones that are in desperate need of revision.

We *need* good manual wiper controls. We *need* functional scheduled charging and departure... and I'd like my radar back. Instead we get new bugs every month or so.

Any ideas what happened?

Im going to be a bit snarky and say " trying to use scheduled departure is the problem". Scheduled departure forces the car to work backward to complete the charge by the scheduled time, and additionally, it used to have a hard stop time of like 7am (so setting for scheduled departure of 10am wouldnt have mattered, the car would be ready by 7am).

I have no idea if they changed that, because I dont use scheduled departure, I only use scheduled charging because it works, charging the car at the time I specify, every morning at 3am (and my wifes car every morning at 4am). I dont need the car to turn on the climate control automagically for me, because I can click it myself 10 minutes before I am ready to go anywhere and the car is warmed / cooled.

Should it work? sure, but tesla does not have anything for "charging off peak only" or anything like that, and I have no idea if they fixed the issue where scheduled departure ignored "late" departure times like 10am.

Im going to be a bit snarky and say " trying to use scheduled departure is the problem". Scheduled departure forces the car to work backward to complete the charge by the scheduled time, and additionally, it used to have a hard stop time of like 7am (so setting for scheduled departure of 10am wouldnt have mattered, the car would be ready by 7am).

I have no idea if they changed that, because I dont use scheduled departure, I only use scheduled charging because it works, charging the car at the time I specify, every morning at 3am (and my wifes car every morning at 4am). I dont need the car to turn on the climate control automagically for me, because I can click it myself 10 minutes before I am ready to go anywhere and the car is warmed / cooled.

Should it work? sure, but tesla does not have anything for "charging off peak only" or anything like that, and I have no idea if they fixed the issue where scheduled departure ignored "late" departure times like 10am.
Scheduled departure has worked fine for me when set to 9/9:30am

Scheduled departure has worked fine for me when set to 9/9:30am
Scheduled departure is the only thing I've used since I got the car in Oct 21 and it's worked great every time....no matter when I set it. The only caveat is that once when I've set it to 100% it took a bit longer than the time I set to be ready to finish.

I only use scheduled charging because it works, charging the car at the time I specify, every morning at 3am
I agree that's simpler and avoids other problems, but I don't use it because it means the car sits at a higher charge levels for longer periods. Yes, that's not a good reason, but I like to optimize things, and perhaps over many years it would make a difference.

I've been using scheduled departure for a long time, and it generally works, but change anything and there's a chance of failure.

I agree with jjrandorin. I've also tried using Schedule Departure and ran into the same sort of trouble you're having. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does something way off kilter. So now I exclusively use Schedule Charging. As far as having the car sit with a full charge. I just manually calculate each day what time it would need to start by so that it ends when I'm leaving (plus possibly some extra time for cabin preheat). It's somewhat annoying to have to do that when, as you say, there should be the alternative to have the car do all those calcs for you. Just doesn't work that way. I do have one other glitch that started just this winter. On the app when I'm plugged in but have the charging set to begin at a certain time, I get the error message "charger plug not inserted all the way". Even though it's inserted and the app is just getting confused as to what is going on. In the end, I wish they would fix all the sort of glitches like this and windshield wipers (and many others) and drop the fixation with FSD.

I set it up in the car, stopped the charging, and confirmed that it said "Ready to depart ..." after I got out.

I think these problems occur when changing between scheduled charging and scheduled departure.

I sure would like a more sophisticated system to prevent or warn when charging at peak times occur.
Why did you stop the charging? When you set up Scheduled Departure, it starts charging to determine “time to charge”, then stops charging and subtracts time to charge from departure time minus 30 minutes. This determines the time to start charge.

I tried scheduled departure for the first time last night but primarily only for cabin heat. My departure time is 7:10 sharp, but the app seems to only allow 15 minute increments, so I chose 7.

At 7:10, the cabin temp was in the 40's and the heat was off. My guess is that it preheated the battery and the cabin, but cut off right at 7. It's 8° outside and very, very windy.

Manual it is!

Reactions: Transformer
I wish they would fix all the sort of glitches like this and windshield wipers (and many others) and drop the fixation with FSD.
^ This. Although it's probably a different group of people working on the two.
Obviously that's true, but it continues to send a bad message to your customer base still not having usable wiper settings in the software of my 9 year old car while they keep releasing new things of questionable value.

I tried scheduled departure for the first time last night but primarily only for cabin heat. My departure time is 7:10 sharp, but the app seems to only allow 15 minute increments, so I chose 7.

At 7:10, the cabin temp was in the 40's and the heat was off. My guess is that it preheated the battery and the cabin, but cut off right at 7. It's 8° outside and very, very windy.

Manual it is!
It targets to hit the desired temp 10-15 minutes before the set time and just like manual preconditioning it lasts for about 30 minutes before turning off.

It should also send a notification when the desired cabin temp is reached so if you never got that then it didn’t work properly.

^ This. Although it's probably a different group of people working on the two.
Different car programmers but shared phone app programmers, management, QA, documentation writers, project planning, release control, bug tracking, ...

Hopefully also shared code review programmer time, assuming they're disciplined enough to do that. Whoever added the feature that saved Sentry power by turning off most of the audio amps should've had someone from the audio team check that the amps get turned back on in all cases.

Tesla makes us all beta testers with no feedback channel, so I figure they have people working on automatic reporting of detectable problem symptoms for new features, and more people mining all that data.

The "light show" opened the possibility of leaving lights, windows, or doors stuck, which becomes a high priority to debug and fix. Better to not add the @#$& light show, even besides annoying customers with amateur prioritization.

What I love is when software changes reduce the driver's cognitive, visual, or dexterity load, like several changes in the recent holiday release. Those are worth way more than steps toward a distant self-driving goal.

What I love is when software changes reduce the driver's cognitive, visual, or dexterity load, like several changes in the recent holiday release.

Which ones? I'm just not seeing it.

Tesla makes us all beta testers with no feedback channel

This sounds about right, and even worse is that their own service center reps aren't in the loop. They offer to replace parts for things that were caused by software updates.

Which ones? I'm just not seeing it.
  • The nav step text is larger (and bolder?) so it's quicker to read.
  • More of the map is now visible thanks to moving the mini-audio controls to the left panel. (They haven't fulfilled Elon's promise to make that panel width adjustable.)
  • The route line is bolder and less of it is covered by now-split nav info panels and the current road name panel that used to be at the bottom-middle (although that text is too small to read). This is crucial to figuring out a tight sequence of complicated interchanges.)
  • Nav buttons are now reachable with a hand braced on the bottom of the screen. (Still, turning nav voice guidance on/off really should take 1 tap, not 3 or 4. I often use a voice command for it despite all the voice problems.)
  • The nav ETA info is in a fixed place so it doesn't take 3 glances away from the road to find and read.
  • All the temporary panels are now reachable with a hand braced on the bottom of the screen. (Bracing is the way to go.)
  • The fan speed +/- buttons are much more usable while driving than trying to drag a slider.
  • HVAC auto mode now seems good enough to use (if complicated), including Lo/Med/Hi fan speed, which means less messing with the touch screen esp. to turn on defogging.
  • Auto turn signals succeeded in automating something that matters during high driver-loads. (Maybe not reliably enough for everyone, as is typical for Tesla. It'd be better we could still "click" to latch in the old behavior. Also this new feature taught me to half-press the stalks, which fails for shifting into R.)
  • The new cards UI makes it visible that you can swipe and where to swipe, unlike the old cards. It's again practical to check tire pressures when not busy. (I want to check them about weekly and after hitting a big pothole.)
(I hope someday it'll process voice commands in-car for speed and reliability, give audio feedback, have commands for important actions like turning on fog lights and headlights, align command wording with feedback wording, and implement more obvious wording or at least be documented.)

The fan speed +/- buttons are much more usable while driving than trying to drag a slider.
I would hate to give up my old Model S extra controls for the overly simplified 3/Y, which is lacking so many. HVAC fully auto mode is terrible, so I have to switch a couple of things there (turn off air conditioning when using heat), but I still want the fan speed to auto. There would literally be no way at all to do that in the touch screen interface of the 3/Y. Period. I can do it on my S by using steering wheel buttons to assign fan to the right scroll wheel and then click it, which sets it to auto.
At least with +/- buttons you can move that more easily without having to hold your arm steady enough to move a slider around

Okay, the nav is definitely more legible and laid out quite nicely, that's true. Maybe I've become a Debbie Downer and am only focusing on the negatives.

I spoke too soon on this one. While the layout is nice, I no longer trust the navigation to get me safely (without "stalling") to my destination after today's experience:

Reactions: Rocky_H