Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bjørn's Tesla Model S videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bjorn,

Thanks for your videos. I contacted you about sleeping in the MS, and appreciated your reply. The Camping video you recently posted explained it very well. I was also wondering what suction camera mount was visible when you were 'Nimbering' up to Trondheim with the Nimber CEO, his friend, and your wife.

I would also think that the P85D might not be best for you as there is a decreased storage capacity in the frunk, and it seemed to me that studded tires worked well for you. It also seemed in earlier videos that having AWD wouldn't really benefit you, as the closing of mountain passes appeared to be closed to all traffic when the weather was poor.

Thanks again.

Scotty

S85 delivered end of Sept 2014, and already 8500 miles

It also seemed in earlier videos that having AWD wouldn't really benefit you, as the closing of mountain passes appeared to be closed to all traffic when the weather was poor.
AWD is definitely beneficial to everyone who drives outside of city centers in Norway. They close the mountain passes not merely because there's poor weather; they close them when there's such bad weather that you can easily get stuck and possibly freeze to death (or die from carbon monoxide poisoning as the snow envelopes your car, in ICE cars). You have as bad weather in some regions in the US, but probably only like 10-15 states.

But, of course, AWD only helps with traction when accelerating, it doesn't help you stop, so it's not too dangerous to lack AWD, it just increases the possibility of getting stuck.

Last edited:
But, of course, AWD only helps with traction when accelerating, it doesn't help you stop, so it's not too dangerous to lack AWD, it just increases the possibility of getting stuck.
This isn't true with the regenerative braking on the Tesla. You get 4-wheel braking with the AWD vs. only rear-wheel braking with the non-D models. Since regenerative braking is the primary braking method with a Tesla, this does help.

Funny, because a lot of Tesla's "you don't need AWD" promos were done referencing Norway.
"Need" is perhaps a strong word, and not one I used. The Model S with RWD is by all accounts very good on ice and snow, better than almost all 2WD ICE vehicles, and close to some AWD vehicles. But the D will probably be one of the best cars in the world on ice and snow. It's better, even if the RWD Model S is good enough.

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't true with the regenerative braking on the Tesla. You get 4-wheel braking with the AWD vs. only rear-wheel braking with the non-D models. Since regenerative braking is the primary braking method with a Tesla, this does help.
That helps extend range. But if you set regen to low and use the friction brakes more, you get pretty much the same braking properties.

Bjorn,
I was also wondering what suction camera mount was visible when you were 'Nimbering' up to Trondheim with the Nimber CEO, his friend, and your wife.

I would also think that the P85D might not be best for you as there is a decreased storage capacity in the frunk, and it seemed to me that studded tires worked well for you. It also seemed in earlier videos that having AWD wouldn't really benefit you, as the closing of mountain passes appeared to be closed to all traffic when the weather was poor.
I use a Manfrotto suction cup mount. Yes, the D have less storage space in the frunk. It's not that critical. But sometimes I tend to load a lot in my car. And that extra space could mean I can fit something there that wouldn't fit in the back because all the space there was taken by something else large. On the roads I've been driving at, and after 90k km behind the wheel, I still don't need 4WD. It would be nice of course, but not really a situation where I wouldn't be able to complete a route because I only had RWD.

It's true that on icy roads, full regen will lock the rear wheels. I am aware of this when driving in these conditions and will use the pedal brakes to avoid it. Using only regen is not always a good idea either because ice, slush and water can build up on the brake disks making them unusable for a second if you need instant braking.

Anyways...

Last edited by a moderator:
Some beautiful shots there, and not just the Model S. There are a lot of beautiful places in Norway, and many more SuperChargers and Model Ss than in Nebraska (USA, no SuperChargers, I've seen two MSs in the last year, maybe a service center on the way, eventually SuperChargers on I80, and my 85D due in "late February"). Thanks, Bjorn.

Look who's on the big screen in the service center Antwerp in Belgium..

image.jpg
image.jpg

What-the-heck?!!!!! :eek:

I've been wondering: for the scenes where your car is driving along the road away from the camera, do you set up your camera on a tripod and then start it going unattended, or do you make your wife stand there on the side of the road?

He was doing those long before he got married and she moved to Norway. There is a video on his channel showing how he setup the camera and had it running while he went back up the hill and back down past it for video #5.

He was doing those long before he got married and she moved to Norway. There is a video on his channel showing how he setup the camera and had it running while he went back up the hill and back down past it for video #5.
Thanks, I hadn't seen the "How much work is behind 5 seconds of video?" video. Interesting that no other cars passed by on that road for the entire time. I wonder about the ones where he clearly is driving a long distance away from his camera in places where there is lots more traffic. Maybe someone would see it and think, "hey, that guy just drove off and left a free camera behind..." In any case, it's very cool and those shots really make the video look professionally done.

Interesting that no other cars passed by on that road for the entire time.

There are plenty of highways here in the states where you won't see another car for extended periods of time, especially in winter conditions. I use to drive in winter down from here on Hwy 395 down to California and back, wasn't unusual to not have a car pass in the opposite direction for a half an hour at a time between Burns, OR and Lakeview, OR.