Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bjorn nyland's test of tesla vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those cars have LiDAR, Tesla doesn’t so it’s a pipe dream that any existing Tesla cars will ever have hands free driving.
Radar, LiDAR, stereo 3d camera and ultrasound.

The big ”bet” though is that Tesla believe that scaling of level 2/3 is going to take much longer when you’re dependent on high definition mapping, which as far as I know, all the LiDAR equipped cars are.

Tesla’s whole approach is predicated on their neural net approach. Time is ticking

Radar, LiDAR, stereo 3d camera and ultrasound.

The big ”bet” though is that Tesla believe that scaling of level 2/3 is going to take much longer when you’re dependent on high definition mapping, which as far as I know, all the LiDAR equipped cars are.

Tesla’s whole approach is predicated on their neural net approach. Time is ticking
I have little idea how it works, but hazard a guess that the NN is just the computer operation in head office: the in-car system surely hasn‘t the power?
Certainly basing FSD on mapping must be a dead end except in geofenced areas where it might be just - just - possible to update almost continually. That rules out most of the planet.

I have little idea how it works, but hazard a guess that the NN is just the computer operation in head office: the in-car system surely hasn‘t the power?
Certainly basing FSD on mapping must be a dead end except in geofenced areas where it might be just - just - possible to update almost continually. That rules out most of the planet.
NNs are running on the car at all times, they are what process the raw feed from the cameras, and they are “self-improving” according to tesla.

The most compute-heavy job that they do ‘at tesla’ on their supercomputer dojo is training and developing those networks. This is where there is no workaround or alternative to brute force, hence dojo is a purpose built super computer just to brute force the problem of training the networks which it supposedly does with little code input from humans. This is where the whole operation vacation thing comes from. To train those networks however requires a lot of labelled, and highly tailored data sets to encourage ‘good learning’ and discourage the bad.

They have put a lot of work into squeezing all the flops they can out of the cars. In MCU2 and MCU3 cars, they have enough overhead to run AP and run FSD “learning” as a shadow process in the background. No bones about it - we’re driving mini supercomputers.

Yes that is the challenge with high def mapping. It’s an “easier” route to take from a software and controllability standpoint, but much much harder to implement on the global scale that Tesla are saying they’re going to with the vision and software approach. If that gamble pays off, they’re potentially 10 years ahead. If not… well they’ve got an entire fleet of cars with the wrong hardware because of that leap.

Last edited:
It’s because we’re reasonable people who can point out flaws in a product. You should try it sometime, it might widen your horizons.
Pointing out and discussing flaws is fine.
That’s not what you did though right.
You purposely diverted from a rational point, that was made, and nudged it back to your narrative that VW headlights are superior. I don’t see that as an example of reasonable people pointing out flaws. I see that as bashing at every opportunity. :)

+1

If you have to have your hand hovering over the stalk to correct it, the technology has failed.

I even think 10 years is being generous on the headlights. I had a 2013 Audi that had auto headlights and the only complaint I would have had about them is that they didn't see the gradual increase in illumination from an approaching car that is around a corner, but they still turned off quickly enough after seeing a headlight to not result in me being flashed, so it was no big deal.

You could probably knock another 5 years off that 10 years and still find cars with working systems (particularly the equivalent German marques).

The few times I've used auto headlights in my M3 it has fully blinded people for longer than I'm comfortable with. Even 2-3 full seconds of obvious lethargy is too much for me to feel comfortable with.

They haven't turned off when I've gone through villages with street lighting either, which is just bizarre to me. No perception of ambient lighting at all.
They are built for the US market. No such thing as ambient lighting there!

Reactions: Durzel
I had a Mazda in 2008 with better auto lights and wipers than my Tesla.

It would be really nice if Tesla would finish a project before starting a new one. The wipers and auto lights have been “beta” or whatever for four years.
The lights, wipers and locking is better on every £60k car ever produced and sold with auto features!
I repeat - Tesla software is crap. As for FSD it is pure fantasy without an installed superstructure by the local authorities/national governments - an optical system like Teslas can never be 100% safe!!

Reactions: DM206433
Pointing out and discussing flaws is fine.
That’s not what you did though right.
You purposely diverted from a rational point, that was made, and nudged it back to your narrative that VW headlights are superior. I don’t see that as an example of reasonable people pointing out flaws. I see that as bashing at every opportunity. :)
It was literally on topic.