Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I tell if this used Tesla has USS or Vision?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- Looking at a used Tesla from a dealership

- I have the numberplate only. A car reg check tells me that the car was first registered on 26 Nov 2022 - but not when it was manufactured etc.

1. Without visiting the car, is there a way to tell if the car has the USS or Vision?
2. If not, when visiting the car, what's the easiest way to tell?

Thank you very much!

Is the car on Autotrader?

The only way to tell is to examine the bumpers. A USS car will have little round sensors in them; a Vision car won't. Normally photos on Autotrader will be good enough to see them if they're there.

Thank you! It was on Autotrader (now taken down but still available apparently), but no pictures posted yet on the dealership website.

Will wait around for the photos then! Thanks a lot

- Looking at a used Tesla from a dealership

- I have the numberplate only. A car reg check tells me that the car was first registered on 26 Nov 2022 - but not when it was manufactured etc.

1. Without visiting the car, is there a way to tell if the car has the USS or Vision?

Thank you very much!
Tesla normally try and sell all the cars within their quarterly period and this looks like Q4 2022 and that had only vision. But there may be exemptions and that can be checked either by checking the bumpers or if you have VIN number that will tell the production time.

Tesla normally try and sell all the cars within their quarterly period and this looks like Q4 2022 and that had only vision. But there may be exemptions and that can be checked either by checking the bumpers or if you have VIN number that will tell the production time.
The VIN will only give the model year (and this one is almost certainly going to be MY22). Mine, purchased new March ’23 was built in Nov ‘22 and I had to ask Tesla for that information, it’s not even printed on the car labels like it is in the US.

Mine, purchased new March ’23 was built in Nov ‘22 and I had to ask Tesla for that information, it’s not even printed on the car labels like it is in the US.
Digit 10 on the VIN is model year, I think M stands for 2021, N for 2022 and O/P for 2023. e.g. L is the letter for the year 2020. Until 2019 this reflect the year the car was built, from the end of 2019 it reflected a model year for which production typically started in late November of the previous year, e.g. a car with the letter L (2020) may have been made as early as November 2019. (Ref: Teslainfo.com)

Last edited:
A salesperson at the dealership could tell you in about a minute whether it has parking sensors or not, from a visual check. :)
I have the numberplate only. A car reg check tells me that the car was first registered on 26 Nov 2022 - but not when it was manufactured etc

.1. Without visiting the car, is there a way to tell if the car has the USS or Vision?
That was OP’s question in order. Yes, yours (@Durzel) answers some part of it.

Thank you all! Very helpful.

I'm new to Tesla and the community, so forgive me for wading into this - but as of Oct 2023, what is current sentiment on Vision vs. USS? Is it worth prioritising a USS model in my search?
There are ‘n’ number of threads related to this and if you search you can easily find out rather than changing this thread into vision vs USS thread once more :)

Thank you all! Very helpful.

I'm new to Tesla and the community, so forgive me for wading into this - but as of Oct 2023, what is current sentiment on Vision vs. USS? Is it worth prioritising a USS model in my search?
IMHO (based on having one USS and one Vision based car in the family) 100% prioritise USS.

Despite Tesla assuring me that the two systems now have 'performance parity' I cannot for the life of me imagine what metric they are using to make this bold assertion!

This is a good watch - he's done two videos on it:

@qwickshot summed it up well.
This is helpful. What a nightmare! The front sensors are absolutely untrustable and the fact that this could be a child or a tree or any human being or any animal is so discouraging that this is supposed to be the top of the class auto drive car in the world and this is what we're seeing in the brand new MY23s

This is helpful. What a nightmare! The front sensors are absolutely untrustable and the fact that this could be a child or a tree or any human being or any animal is so discouraging that this is supposed to be the top of the class auto drive car in the world and this is what we're seeing in the brand new MY23s
Have you ever not run over an unseen child in front of your car because you got parking beeps ?

• Funny
Reactions: ionsphere
Have you ever not run over an unseen child in front of your car because you got parking beeps ?
Yeah well the point is I've always been hyper aware when I drive and I was kind of hoping with this super new technology car that I could relax a little bit. I mean what's the point of paying for and having a super technology car that I just have to drive like I drove my last ICE car?