Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black and white seats... regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've owned several Teslas now and at first I wouldn't buy anything but black interior due to your concerns. I also bought older used Model S's early on and there wasn't an Ultra White interior option until 2017. Once I had friends (most with kids and/or dogs) that had them with lots of miles I saw how well they held up. None of them gave any special care either. Quite the contrary in most cases.

Our current two are both white interior and all I'm looking for going forward is white interiors. The pros far outweigh the cons and it looks incredible. Uniquely Tesla. The only real downside is that blue jean transfer is fairly common. Just a quick scrub with a couple of baby wipes once or twice a year though and you're all set. I'm hoping that the EoY push on the Model X includes a free interior color choice along with the free exterior color choice because that's the only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger on a new Model X LR right meow. 🐈🐱

So curious why you go through so many Teslas!! Lol, I mean, I suppose I've had "several" CARS in my 30 years of driving, but Tesla hasn't even been around long enough for someone to go through "several" :)

Thanks for the endorsement on the white seats!

I'm leaning toward the black and white seats. My wife says they'll get marked and old quick.

Anyone regretting their white seats?

I worried about this too.

However, we went ahead and got the white seats and it was a good decision. They still look great after 54,000 miles. Keeping them clean has been easy. We keep a pack of baby wipes in the console.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpicyPaneer
I have white interior on my M3....I wanted it because of our long hot summers and (as someone just said) it’s Teslary....like getting a Ferrari in red.
Our back seat is permanently covered with linen, towels, pillows and pet protector for the dog...but we do the same with black upholstery.
I don’t know if the white marks more easily....but at least you can see it. Black seats just mean it’s more likely you are sitting on dirty seats

I will only say if you see complaints about seats and stains, the white seat posts greatly outnumber complaints from black seat owners.

For exteriors, I feel the opposite. White looks nicer than black most of the time. Nothing looks better than a CLEAN black car, but the reality is, they only stay clean for a couple days. When white caes get dirty, they just look like a different shade of white. (Had many black and white cars... now I leam towards silvers)

The posts I see about white seats from people who love them typically say something like:

The only real downside is that blue jean transfer is fairly common. Just a quick scrub with a couple of baby wipes once or twice a year though and you're all set.

Keeping them clean has been easy. We keep a pack of baby wipes in the console.

I wanted to buy them but saw comments like these, and also knew for a fact that I was NOT going to want to look at blue jean dye transfer, or worry about whether baby wipes would get it off, or carry around baby wipes in the console, etc.

Im not saying that people are doing anything unusual or out of pocket or something, just that I know I am too lazy to do that stuff, or would get annoyed seeing blue jeans transfer and kind a stressing out if it would come out or not.

So, I got the black seats, and my black seats still look brand new after 5 years in my model 3.

I think the white seats look better, though. Not that the black looks bad, but the its very "normal" looking, while the bright white seats are pretty uniquely Tesla as @Ostrichsak said.

I think they are fairly easy to take care of, from what I read here, and most threads on stains from jeans are likely from people who wear higher end jeans, or brand new jeans just after their first couple of washes that are not pre faded.

Reactions: Patrick_TX