Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black car in texas heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious for anyone in a state with summers like Texas (100-110), how bad is it cooling down the car? What kind of battery loss do you get cooling it down if it's out in the sun for a while? Does it really even make much of a difference since the roof is glass? I've had dark and light cars and know the light definitely are cooler, but I've never done the comparison when the whole roof is glass.

Im in AZ heat. It mizen hotter here than in TX. Cooling car down from sitting in hot sun is a challenge but with tint and removable windshield or roof sun shade it a lot easier. I don't have roof sunshade as they are a PITA to install/remove unless you plan to leave it installed everyday. White seats help too.

One thing I learned is turning your AC to something like 75 degrees from the app when before you get in it cools down the car without much work/drain on the HVAC/battery system. Anything lower than 75 and the HVAC kicks in high gear and is LOUD and you lose some battery faster (3-5%). if you need it cooler than 75 its easy to drop it 5-10 degrees if needed one its cooled itself to 75. I have white paint with black seats.

I went two weeks from delivery to my window tint appointment, with 100+ degree days both before and after tint. The MYP is MSM (almost as dark as black) with black interior. I avoided black interiors on all my vehicles for the last 35 years because I hate roasting my thighs on hot seats, but I’m way too much of a slob for a white interior. I had all windows and windshield tinted with ceramic IR and UV blocking film, and the difference in the heat build-up while parked is amazing, to the point that I seldom bother to set the windows to “vent” when I’m parking outdoors. No BBQ thighs, even wearing shorts. IMO, I think the windshield tint (70%, so it’s barely any difference visually) made the most difference. The AC also seems to be more effective, and after cooling to 73 degrees it runs at lower fan speed, even with outside temps of 110 today.

Reactions: e645824 and Mikedfw
It does not matter what color you will pick, white or black, because in both cases you'll have a black glass roof which is a heat magnet. Installing a cloth sunshade to the roof makes a real difference during hot days, you can find different options on Amazon. I keep the sunshade on from June to Sept. Also tint all other windows with ceramic tint, including a windshield. In this case, it will be not difficult for AC to keep the cabin cool and cabin overheat protection will switch on periodically to cool down the cabin when the car is parked. You will not notice any significant battery drain from that.

It does not matter what color you will pick, white or black, because in both cases you'll have a black glass roof which is a heat magnet. Installing a cloth sunshade to the roof makes a real difference during hot days, you can find different options on Amazon. I keep the sunshade on from June to Sept. Also tint all other windows with ceramic tint, including a windshield. In this case, it will be not difficult for AC to keep the cabin cool and cabin overheat protection will switch on periodically to cool down the cabin when the car is parked. You will not notice any significant battery drain from that.

cabin overheat protection w/ AC on? What temp do most here keep it to avoid significant battery drain

Mildly disagree.

Having lived in AZ and TX, body paint color DOES MATTER. Double digit temperature delta with a laser thermometer, and validated by simply touching the car’s body.

Recommend white for both inside and out as it is the most reflective and least heat absorbing, thus adding to range and decreasing load. Also, we have had the white interior for many years worth of Teslas—it’s so easy to clean as to be silly to be concerned about. A damp was cloth does the job on almost everything about once or twice a year, and an occasional Magic Sponge to address anything more stubborn.

Mildly disagree.

Having lived in AZ and TX, body paint color DOES MATTER. Double digit temperature delta with a laser thermometer, and validated by simply touching the car’s body.

Recommend white for both inside and out as it is the most reflective and least heat absorbing, thus adding to range and decreasing load. Also, we have had the white interior for many years worth of Teslas—it’s so easy to clean as to be silly to be concerned about. A damp was cloth does the job on almost everything about once or twice a year, and an occasional Magic Sponge to address anything more stubborn.

Good to get personal experience. Makes sense I think people need to separate out ambient temp (which can be AC cooled from the seat temp. Kids can't even sit with temps in the 120's and blazing sun. somedays. ( yes on tinted windshield, roof cover)

TSLA really should have vented seats with upgrade costs vs heated for us folks

Yes, but not in the case with Tesla, because it has a black glass roof no matter what color of the body. Do you have white or black door panels is not that important from the heat rejection standpoint.
Disagree.

The body absorbs tremendously more heat, which is then transmitted into the car's body and frunk, with dark colored paint.

Yes, the roof is the same on all of them, but plenty of heat is absorbed by the body as well . . . .

Reactions: Pianewman and vickh
It regularly exceeds 100°+ during our long hot summers. Often it's 110° or higher. Our MYLR7 is white on white. I've installed a two-piece solar screen shade on the roof. That has helped tremendously with the heat coming through the glass.

I plan on installing some 70% (max California will allow) high TSER window tint on the side windows before it gets really hot this summer.

Yes, it's a 2011 study, but AFAIK, the laws of thermodynamics haven't changed since then. 🤣 🤪

• Funny
Reactions: Art84 and vickh