Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black car in texas heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disagree.

The body absorbs tremendously more heat, which is then transmitted into the car's body and frunk, with dark colored paint.

Yes, the roof is the same on all of them, but plenty of heat is absorbed by the body as well . . . .
I don't know...
I can't tell that my white Model Y is any cooler inside than my wife's black Honda Accord. I still feel like the main heat coming to the cabin is through the roof and windows.

in texas..no matter what color your body and interior is, it's going to be hot in the summer.

tint, color, solarshade might reduce the heat but once you're in the 100 degrees and parked outside..hot is just hot

i can't really tell the difference when it's up there.

in texas..no matter what color your body and interior is, it's going to be hot in the summer.

tint, color, solarshade might reduce the heat but once you're in the 100 degrees and parked outside..hot is just hot

i can't really tell the difference when it's up there.

this is why studies are important to interior and exterior colors. Everything else is subjective/opinion.

Reactions: fredzos
Well, here's one answer from the University of California:
Basically black absorbs the full spectrum of light photons
Uhh...yup. Let's continue to flog this dead horse.

The vast majority of boats do NOT have teak decks, but are white, with contrasting hull colors. And it IS relevant, since we're discussing heat absorption of black vs. white.

Agreed, when over 100f, the difference isn't as noticeable, but the temperature of a white concrete surface is considerably lower than asphalt.

Agreed, when over 100f, the difference isn't as noticeable, but the temperature of a white concrete surface is considerably lower than asphalt.

Yes. We're trying "white coating " concrete over asphalt here in AZ Cool pavement reduces heat, but will it keep working?

but it's cracking/needs maintenance, much like white seats I guess? I'm definitely getting white exterior since it's cheaper too. The glare factor mentioned above is also making me think twice about it

Phoenix isn’t the first city to try this sealant. Los Angeles began testing in 2015. Kristen Pawling, the sustainability program director in the Los Angeles County Chief Sustainability Office, saw similar results in that city’s cool pavement studies, and she believes the treatment will have lasting effectiveness. LA used satellite imagery to assess heat conditions and found air temperatures in neighborhoods treated with the cool pavement were lower than areas that didn’t have the treatment.

“It’s really cool,” she said of the satellite thermography, with no pun intended.

Last edited:
Huh? Actually, I'm not. I don't have kids, and in 44k miles, I've wiped down the white seats twice. Detail shop did them twice. Yes, driver's seat has darkened a bit from clothing dye transfer, but other than that, zero issues.

Red paint temp.jpgbrown paint image.jpgInteresting. First TX day of 95f heat. Both photos, vertical panels, facing the 5:00pm blazing sun.

Toyota, dark brown metallic, Tesla Red. Both with ceramic coating, both dirty from recent rainstorms.

Been lower 90's here. Having the windows vented with a car cover and window shade has kept Casper at least below 100 degrees inside. Plus the car cover doesn't attract bird poop, which our pickup doesn't like because now he's in the line of fire along with the bird who likes his mirrors. Not sure how well that would work in over 100 degrees, but we'll see. Casper is white with black interior. From other vehicles we've had, I don't recommend black with black interior.