Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Model X: How do you keep it clean? Any regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my 75D MX, black exterior and white interior. The color contrast looks great. It's been about two weeks, and it is the most beautiful car I have ever driven. But now, I am having second thoughts on my color choice. I didn't own black cars before and I didn't know how easily the car gets dirty.

In two weeks, I have been to the car wash about 6 times! After washing, it needs towel dry to keep off the water spots (well, I found out the hard way!). The next day, it seems that it is covered with dust, even though I don't drive it on dusty roads. I keep it in garage too. I have waxed it twice so far. I am not sure how long I am going to keep up with this, before I let go and be fine with the dirty/dusty look. The other day, I was towel drying the spots after washing it at the car wash, and it started getting covered in dust, because there were other people next to me vacuuming their cars. I am getting California Duster, but I am not sure how much that helps.

My final color choices were between, pearl while, red and black. I thought black is nice, and saving the $1500 doesn't hurt. I feel like I made a mistake. Any suggestions or tips on keeping it clean? Is repainting even a reasonable option?

Thanks!

Reactions: hiroshiy
I love my black X75D... I use the California Car Duster to easily take off dust weekly. Then, I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer to spot wipe a few areas. I hand wash maybe once a month using the 2 bucket system with Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine. Then, Invisible Glass Cleaner on all the windows once a month.

You can find all these on Amazon.

Hope this helps!

btw, I keep a Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer in the Tesla's lower trunk compartment to spot detail while supercharging on road-trips.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr Doom
I love my black X75D! I also use Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Detailer on the road. I wash once a month. On our road trips to SoCal, the front of the vehicle gets littered with dead bugs, so I make sure to wash the car shortly after our trip is over. Overall, love our black Model X!

It also may just be this time of year, when all the pollen is in the air. I find a nice little yellow coating on my car after a couple days, even if it's in the garage.

Additionally, with respect to the water spots. A good paint treatment or frequent waxing will help with this.

And I'll throw another rec for the Quick Detailer mentioned a couple times above. Works well between washes with a microfiber cloth.

• Informative
Reactions: waterloo42
You know what they say- you don't own a black car, black car owns you. I had a black m5 and never black car again for me- swirls, water stains, minute scratches, etc. Drove me nuts. The only way I'd buy a black car again only if it's fully wrapped in Xpel. But black X with black wheels and chrome delete looks great though.

Last edited:
You know what they say- you don't own a black car, black car owns you. I had a black m5 and never black car again for me- swirls, water stains, minute scratches, etc. Drove me nuts. The only way I'd buy a black car again only if it's fully wrapped in Xpel. But black X with black wheels and chrome delete looks great though.

This, my previous car was black and my current ice car is black. If you sneeze on them, they will scratch. Full wrap and ceramic coating is the way to go.

@bushburner: Isn't it cheaper to just completely repaint it, unless one thinks black is the only way to go?

But should the paint shop be Tesla certified? I can't imagine a regular paint shop taking the falcon wings down

Depending on the quality of your factory paint. Some people had a lot of defects in the paint from the factory and some don't. Mines was pretty good, with a few over spray here and there. So I say if your paint is good, have it protected and not have to worry about it after. If not, repaint is an option, just find a reputable shop.

Last edited:
I have an Obsidian Black MX. The ceramic coating (Gtechniq Crystal Serum) on mine is amazing. Repels dirt, water and light surface scratches. I often just have to spray it down with a spray bottle and wipe up with a cloth. I also had the front end wrapped in Llumar Platinum wrap which is great for keeping the swirls down. Hope this helps.

I've got black on white as well, and probably a friendlier climate in LA. While a wrap or coating works nicely, so doesn't a good, professionally applied carnuba hard wax. Have a reputable detailer put a few coats on every few months, and it too is less maintenance, ez cleaning and brilliantly glossy. Auto enthusiast purists will often select carnuba over synthetics. Give it a try before investing thousands in a coating. And enjoy it. :D The X wears black exceptionally well.

Reactions: Maximus-MX
What I love about the crystal serum coating on our X is the 7 year shine guarantee. Once and I don't have to think about it again. Carnuba is great, unfortunately it has to be done every few months. When you add up, say 3 to 4 times a year by a detailer for regular wax and multiply it out by 7, it ends up costing more than a professionally applied ceramic. Full car for me was $1,400, not thousands. I just cleaned my X with a squirt bottle and a microfiber towel today (that easy) and this was the result:
IMG_8870.jpg
IMG_8869.jpg

What I love about the crystal serum coating on our X is the 7 year shine guarantee. Once and I don't have to think about it again. Carnuba is great, unfortunately it has to be done every few months. When you add up, say 3 to 4 times a year by a detailer for regular wax and multiply it out by 7, it ends up costing more than a professionally applied ceramic. Full car for me was $1,400, not thousands. I just cleaned my X with a squirt bottle and a microfiber towel today (that easy) and this was the result:View attachment 227899View attachment 227900

That's beautiful Mike!

I had a black Range Rover Sport prior to my MX. Never again!!!! It was beautiful when clean but it was a ton of work.

I strongly strongly strongly recommend you have paint correction done and ceramic coating. 6 times through a car wash??? Ouch. Unless that was a touch less car wash your paint is already covered with swirls and fine scratches. Black shows every imperfection. It's a nightmare.

Reactions: Maximus-MX
I just got my 75D MX, black exterior and white interior. The color contrast looks great. It's been about two weeks, and it is the most beautiful car I have ever driven. But now, I am having second thoughts on my color choice. I didn't own black cars before and I didn't know how easily the car gets dirty.

In two weeks, I have been to the car wash about 6 times! After washing, it needs towel dry to keep off the water spots (well, I found out the hard way!). The next day, it seems that it is covered with dust, even though I don't drive it on dusty roads. I keep it in garage too. I have waxed it twice so far. I am not sure how long I am going to keep up with this, before I let go and be fine with the dirty/dusty look. The other day, I was towel drying the spots after washing it at the car wash, and it started getting covered in dust, because there were other people next to me vacuuming their cars. I am getting California Duster, but I am not sure how much that helps.

My final color choices were between, pearl while, red and black. I thought black is nice, and saving the $1500 doesn't hurt. I feel like I made a mistake. Any suggestions or tips on keeping it clean? Is repainting even a reasonable option?

Thanks!
Just stop washing it. Eventually you will have the much-missed Titanium.

What I love about the crystal serum coating on our X is the 7 year shine guarantee. Once and I don't have to think about it again. Carnuba is great, unfortunately it has to be done every few months. When you add up, say 3 to 4 times a year by a detailer for regular wax and multiply it out by 7, it ends up costing more than a professionally applied ceramic. Full car for me was $1,400, not thousands. I just cleaned my X with a squirt bottle and a microfiber towel today (that easy) and this was the result:
img_8870-jpg.227899

Mike, that looks great!!!

What I am thinking is just do my best to keep it clean for now (thanks for all the suggestions!), then after a year or so, I will have it completely repainted in red MC. I'm planning to keep this thing for the next 10-15 years, and the idea of dealing with this nightmare for that long is not optimal. The problem is, no matter what kind of coating I use, every little thing is magnified on this color.

For those of you out there who didn't do your homework about black paint (like I did); well, probably this should your lesson :(

Mike, that looks great!!!

What I am thinking is just do my best to keep it clean for now (thanks for all the suggestions!), then after a year or so, I will have it completely repainted in red MC. I'm planning to keep this thing for the next 10-15 years, and the idea of dealing with this nightmare for that long is not optimal. The problem is, no matter what kind of coating I use, every little thing is magnified on this color.

For those of you out there who didn't do your homework about black paint (like I did); well, probably this should your lesson :(

Why not just trade it in for a MC red? I just came from a MC red, and let me tell you. It is BRIGHT. Blindingly so on the X when it's clean.