Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Screen...Dying MCU1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 MS. Ok, it took a long time with the message "Please wait while the systems power up", followed by "Center display unavailable". Center screen stayed dead all the way home. Got it home with no turn signal sounds sounds, 12V outlet eventually came on by itself. A/C did run. Plugged it in and the small screen tells me it will charge.

MCU1 dying?

Reactions: Akikiki
2015 MS. Ok, it took a long time with the message "Please wait while the systems power up", followed by "Center display unavailable". Center screen stayed dead all the way home. Got it home with no turn signal sounds sounds, 12V outlet eventually came on by itself. A/C did run. Plugged it in and the small screen tells me it will charge.

MCU1 dying?
MCU dead welcome to the club

Schedule service ASAP and take pics of the black MCU and msg on IC. Then... try rebooting a few times a day while you’re waiting for your appt. my MCU came back to life after two days which made life bearable again before the car went in for the daughter card swap.

No PIN to drive.

The screen came back on when I check the car later last eve, tried to reboot with the 2 wheels and brake, walked away when it took too long.

Well, the car and screen fired up normally today. My scheduled appointment isn't until Late December, so I'm worried it may leave me stranded. Trick to getting service sooner?

You won’t be stranded, just possibly very cold and with no music. :/
Seriously, though, is it that far out because they won’t get the daughter card in until then or just a scheduling delay? If the latter, respond to them that not having HVAC in the winter could basically render the car useless (no defrost). Good luck.

2015 MS D 90. So, my screen became unresponsive, then spontaneously rebooted while I was on the freeway yesterday. Could have been a big problem (distracted me, potential accident) if traffic were heavier, it was mid day in sub zero Des Moines. Phone also repeatedly disconnected from the audio system. I have had to do a reset in the past few weeks to clear the black screen when it never came up at initial start.
Time to start nagging for recall appointment?
And can I control the cabin temp via the app if the MCU has died?
It’s a long drive to KC at -5 F, and no audio.

2015 MS D 90. So, my screen became unresponsive, then spontaneously rebooted while I was on the freeway yesterday. Could have been a big problem (distracted me, potential accident) if traffic were heavier, it was mid day in sub zero Des Moines. Phone also repeatedly disconnected from the audio system. I have had to do a reset in the past few weeks to clear the black screen when it never came up at initial start.
Time to start nagging for recall appointment?
And can I control the cabin temp via the app if the MCU has died?
It’s a long drive to KC at -5 F, and no audio.

Did you get the email? In it it states:

...If your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or newer and the eMMC malfunctions, then the rearview backup camera will remain available, the exterior turn signal lighting will remain functional, and the windshield defogging and defrosting controls will automatically default to a preset cabin temperature to ensure windshield visibility. ...

email says it is so, but that ain't what was going on at the time.
I remain skeptical that the black screen of death will magically continue to heal.
Too bad we can't dump some of the excess data somehow to make these chips last longer, we gather all this info for the company but it seems to shorten the usability of the car's brain. I'm just a dumb old pharmacist though...
Thanks for the reply.

email says it is so, but that ain't what was going on at the time.
I remain skeptical that the black screen of death will magically continue to heal.
Too bad we can't dump some of the excess data somehow to make these chips last longer, we gather all this info for the company but it seems to shorten the usability of the car's brain. I'm just a dumb old pharmacist though...
Thanks for the reply.

Not long ago they wouldn't repair/warranty it until this message showed up on the screen, now with the actual eMMC recall? who knows. I'd try to book the appt. and see if they will do it. You do know about the MCU2 upgrade option, yes?

Was told (because I was at a Tesla Service Center yesterday complaining about reboots) that the Tegra Daughterboard Replacement is indeed the recall.

It doesn't require you to replace your entire MCU nor do the MC1 to MCU2 upgrade (it was listed about $500 last year) so your cost should be less if not $0 (if you're covered by the NHTSA recall).

As such, because I had my board replaced last year, I didn't receive the letter nor is the NHTSA requirement needed for my VIN.