Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black tiles on map (earth view)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I don't normally use earth view on the center console, so don't know when this started.. but some of the tiles prefer to be black. At a certain zoom level. Sometimes zooming out or in will replace that same area on the map with normal earth views. But returning to that zoom level shows the tiles black again.

If you think it's just taking time to load them up, how long should it take? I could be parked in an area waiting, but ... they never come down and remain black.. It's as if the tile has been cached wrong by the car. Car doesn't request that tile. And shows it's black version of it.

blacknav.jpg

I occasionally had the problem with a single -- or a few -- tiles that didn't show until I drove far enough when the tiles needed to be refreshed, and generally all was well again for some period of time. The other thing you could try is making the display half-size and go back to full-size if that triggers an update... May have been coincidence, but that worked for me at least once that I remember.

I can't prove it, but the way it happened to me a few times, made me feel like there was a memory or processor constraint going on under the covers. I cleared my Places History as well as rebooted my 17" and have not seen the issue in a few weeks other than a few second (but not minute) delay sometimes filling the tiles that could perhaps be BAU for any number of reasons with cell connectivity, etc.

..the zoom out and zoom back in, or even vice versa, doesn't shake the black tiles at the given level where it was showing them before.

Hence the cache theory, car doesn't think it has to ask for them again at that level, and pulls out the saved versions.

I'm like you, driving around a lot and completely replacing cache will probably bring them back in when I return to the affected area.

But again, I don't use earth view much. My kids use is as POI reference when they have nothing better to do in the passenger seat. So, not critical.

Same "Black outs", refreshing, zooming in & out, rebooting doesn't fix this, engineering said I had too many address searches in my navigation, unfortunately I had cleared everything out 2 weeks ago so I don't know what they are seeing, all I know different week & different problems. Firmware 2.12.126 was supposed to fix my last set of issues :cursing:.
IMG_0823.jpg
IMG_0826.jpg

Had this happen to me also several days ago. I had previously cleared the list of previous destinations - so that wasn't the problem. I tried rebooting - that didn't fix it. Tried toggling the satellite view - tried zooming in and out - nothing would fix the problem.

Next day - the problem was gone.

Seems more likely this was a server side problem - or some issue communicating between the on board map software and the server.

At one point, it looked like Tesla was going to implement map caching to improve performance. Originally tech package owners were supposed to have on-board memory that could be used for music storage - and Tesla backed off of that promise, and it seemed like the extra on-board memory was going to be used for map caching. If maps were being cached on-board, seems unlikely we'd be having this "black square" problem.

I'm just "glad" others are seeing the same issue too. It means it's not just me. And having JUST SWAPPED my center console and upgraded to LTE after having 2 months of non-functioning Nav... I was thinking, oh boy, what's wrong with Nav now?

It did cross my mind it could have been a server-side issue. Imagine that, Google not perfect, hmph.

The car doesn't ever seem to clear the map cache. The only thing you can do it seems is to load a bunch of other areas of map to try and get the cache to overrun and push the broken tiles out.