Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black vs white interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

trus

'22 Model S Plaid
Dec 9, 2021
Seattle
I have been planning to order a new Model S, however, I have been stuck between the black and white interior. Do the materials at all feel different, and is the black interior more practical long-term compared to the white, etc?

I have been planning to order a new Model S, however, I have been stuck between the black and white interior. Do the materials at all feel different, and is the black interior more practical long-term compared to the white, etc?
Material is the same. I think it’s mostly aesthetic preference, while considering black is hotter and white shows more dirt. Personally, I really don’t care for all dark interiors and went with white. The material cleans very easily and is durable, so no regrets. PS, I actually wanted cream but someone canceled with white and I got car 3+ months sooner.

Black or white interior? I can’t decide for the life of me. I take delivery on my MS LR in Sept. I have a 3yr old and am concerned about dye transfer. Exterior color will be black. Any feedback is welcome and appreciated!
It’s personal preference but if you’re on the fence, get white. It just pops more and obviously doesnt get as hot. I had white on my ‘18 S and my current plaid….absolutely no issues keeping it clean

My white interior very quickly started to show dye transfer from the clothes I wear. My wife is also stressed out about doing anything that may stain the seats. I would go black interior if I were to buy another Tesla so I didn't have to worry about it.
Strange, I’ve had white on 2 different teslas and have never had dye transfer. Might be the brand of jeans you wear

My white interior very quickly started to show dye transfer from the clothes I wear. My wife is also stressed out about doing anything that may stain the seats. I would go black interior if I were to buy another Tesla so I didn't have to worry about it.
Check all this, I’m old. I believe the seats are polyurethane. If you go to a polyurethane seats manufacturing site they’ll tell you how to care for the seats. I believe you can use chlorine bleach to remove stains. Dilute it no matter what any manufacturer says. I suggest you never ever ever use one of those abrasive cleaning sponges. I’ve seen posts where the writer claims to have used one of those cleaning sponges on a white seat, but know they work by scratching dirt off a surface.

It’s personal preference but if you’re on the fence, get white. It just pops more and obviously doesnt get as hot. I had white on my ‘18 S and my current plaid….absolutely no issues keeping it clean
Thanks man! I appreciate your feedback. I will go with the white most likely. On a separate note, since it seems like you also live in SoCal, which is wheels do you suggest? 19” or 21”? Obviously, the latter is more aesthetically pleasing vs the former which probably has more comfort. Unfortunately, I can’t test drive any since they aren’t available.

Thanks man! I appreciate your feedback. I will go with the white most likely. On a separate note, since it seems like you also live in SoCal, which is wheels do you suggest? 19” or 21”? Obviously, the latter is more aesthetically pleasing vs the former which probably has more comfort. Unfortunately, I can’t test drive any since they aren’t available.
I do not live in California, I live in the Cincinnati area, but I would get the 21’s. Especially if you live out in California where the weather is fine. Like you said, they look better, but I had both a set of 19s and 21s on my older teslas. The 19s I used in the winter and the 21s in the summer. Never had a flat. Now i have aftermarket 20s for the winter and 21s for the summer, but I would definitely go with the 21s in your case. You do not have to deal with bad roads and rough weather and to me the road noise and comfort level while driving is not very noticeable between the two

Reactions: hwasu
Not to make your decision any harder but I too had these issue; white or black interior and 19 or 21 inch wheels. I ended up with a compromise in both cases and I am very happy with my decisions. So, I went with a cream interior and after getting the 21 Arachnids I switched to 20 inch full forged lightweight SV 104 Signature wheels. The white seemed too bright visually and I didn’t really like the chunkier look of the 21 Arachnids. But everyone certainly should go with their own individual tastes. I sold the Arachnids for a good price and stayed with the OEM Michelin All Season Pilot Sport 4 S that came with the car, just in a 20 inch.
1655202192494.jpeg

1655202093588.jpeg

1655201773748.jpeg

Last edited:
I do not live in California, I live in the Cincinnati area, but I would get the 21’s. Especially if you live out in California where the weather is fine. Like you said, they look better, but I had both a set of 19s and 21s on my older teslas. The 19s I used in the winter and the 21s in the summer. Never had a flat. Now i have aftermarket 20s for the winter and 21s for the summer, but I would definitely go with the 21s in your case. You do not have to deal with bad roads and rough weather and to me the road noise and comfort level while driving is not very noticeable between the two
Good point, my bad. For some reason idk why I thought you lived out here. Sound advice, 21” it is! How long can I expect the tires to last would you say? All is circumstantial of course.

Not to make your decision any harder but I too had these issue; white or black interior and 19 or 21 inch wheels. I ended up with a compromise in both cases and I am very happy with my decisions. So, I went with a cream interior and after getting the 21 Arachnids I switched to 20 inch full forged lightweight SV 104 Signature wheels. The white seemed too bright visually and I didn’t really like the chunkier look of the 21 Arachnids. But everyone certainly should go with their own individual tastes. I sold the Arachnids for a good price and stayed with the OEM Michelin All Season Pilot Sport 4 S that came with the car, just in a 20 inch.
View attachment 816390

View attachment 816389

View attachment 816388
Hey thanks for chiming in! I elude it to being a Virgo. My wife even asks how I even decided on her haha. I drove a white interior today through the Turo service and it surprisingly wasn’t too bright. I’ve sat inside both a black and white interior now and I think it just comes down to if it’s worth the $2k for more worry and upkeep. I feel like I can’t go wrong with either

Reactions: Laddcruzer
Ive had two Model 3's, one black and one white. Right now, I have two Y's. Same deal. One black and the other white.

The white cleans up nicely with baby wipes. But.... blue jean transfer. Its a killer. Other than that, white is amazing.

Im trading my MYP in with white interior for a refreshed Model S LR with black interior.

Reactions: hwasu