Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 650 2 ch cloud questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Gizmo17 the metallized windshield blocks the GPS. The part where you have your EZ pass mounted does allow some to get a gps signal but even that seems hit & miss sometimes.

On another topic, people should be aware that using Blackvue cloud firmwares sets it to record at a significantly lower bitrate, thus image quality (eg ability to read license plates, especially at night) is degraded. For me, this trade off wasn't worth it but you should be aware of this issue if you do use the cloud version.

With the newer 650S version the bit rate isn't lowered in fact it is 10bps instead of 6

Mine is mounted at the very top of the windshield on the passenger side an inch or two to the right of the E-ZPass area. When I leave my garage it takes awhile for it to sync to the satellites, since it is powered down in the garage, but once synced it works. I have the pano roof so there is little to no metal above the mounting point.

Mine is mounted at the very top of the windshield on the passenger side an inch or two to the right of the E-ZPass area. When I leave my garage it takes awhile for it to sync to the satellites, since it is powered down in the garage, but once synced it works. I have the pano roof so there is little to no metal above the mounting point.
Can you post a picture of your placement?

followup to my post earlier in this thread

as I mentioned, I have v2.003 firmware in my 650GW-2CH, but I'm using an old version of the desktop viewer (v1.38 on Mac) which seems to let me set some settings which supposed are not included in v2.xx but supported by v1.010 - such as 1,2 or 3min video clips, and higher bit rate. Those settings are not available in v1.39 Mac app.

I should add that within the settings page of the Blackvue C smartphone app, these particular settings do not appear

I just opened some of the video files on my SD card using Quicktime, and QT reports the following bitrates for the video files
Front camera: 8.44Mbps
Rear camera: 3.20Mbps

as I mentioned before, I have the dashcam set to record 3 min clips for the normal/event mode and 1 min clips for parking mode - which it does.

so contrary to what the documentation says for v2.xxx firmware, it seems I am(?) getting the higher bitrate (8Mbs) and variable clip length. It seems it's a limitation of the settings page within the firmware/app, not the general operation of the camera with v2.xxx firmware?

Still slower than 10Mbs if that's available in newer hardware - too bad I just recently bought and missed the new version

• Helpful
Reactions: faughtz
How did you set it for 3 minutes, if the file length setting doesn't appear in the app (or the PC blackvue.exe viewer)?
the setting for 1,2 or 3 min DOES appear in an older version of the desktop viewer app, v1.38 for the Mac. I happened to stumble upon the setting when looking for differences between desktop app versions. You can select length for normal/even mode recordings and separately for parking mode. So I set it there with my SD Card inserted in my Mac via USB. When I put the SD card back into the dashcam, it recognizes the 3min clip length setting - I now get 3 min recordings (I've set 1min for parking mode). Likewise for the Highest/High/Normal quality setting, which I have set to Highest.

Meanwhile that setting doesn't appear in the smartphone Blackvue C app (currently v2.011) when I connect to the dashcam running v2.003 firmware via wifi or via the cloud. If I run a newer version of the desktop viewer app (v1.39 for Mac) the setting for variable clip length is also not there. As I mentioned earlier, the Blackvue website says v2.xxx firmware only supports fixed 1min clips, but I think it's just that the setting is hidden in latest app.

FYI here is the settings page from the latest version of the Mac desktop BlackVue Viewer app (v1.39).
No settings for image quality or file duration here:
BV1.39MacSettings.jpg

But here is the settings page from v1.38 which includes settings for image quality and video file duration:
BV1.38MacSettings.jpg

How does that connect to the camera? I can't tell from the photos. And you plug it into your cigarette adapter? Thanks
Plugs into the cig lighter. Doesn't connect to the camera. It amplifies and retransmits what it receives from the external antenna via the internal antenna, which is then received by the Blackvue wirelessly.

I plan to place the "external" antenna in the inside rear of the car, and hopefully it will get enough signal through the hatch window. If not, can always smake it through to inside the nosecone area. that's where my radar detector (and its GPS receiver) is located and it works fine.

the setting for 1,2 or 3 min DOES appear in an older version of the desktop viewer app, v1.38 for the Mac. I happened to stumble upon the setting when looking for differences between desktop app versions. You can select length for normal/even mode recordings and separately for parking mode. So I set it there with my SD Card inserted in my Mac via USB. When I put the SD card back into the dashcam, it recognizes the 3min clip length setting - I now get 3 min recordings (I've set 1min for parking mode). Likewise for the Highest/High/Normal quality setting, which I have set to Highest.

Meanwhile that setting doesn't appear in the smartphone Blackvue C app (currently v2.011) when I connect to the dashcam running v2.003 firmware via wifi or via the cloud. If I run a newer version of the desktop viewer app (v1.39 for Mac) the setting for variable clip length is also not there. As I mentioned earlier, the Blackvue website says v2.xxx firmware only supports fixed 1min clips, but I think it's just that the setting is hidden in latest app.
Any chance you could post the config file from the SD card? if I know what settings it puts in there for that, I should be able to manually set mine to do that too even though I don't have a desktop app that will make those changes.

Sorry if this has been asked but is it possible to turn the cloud WiFi on and the local WiFi off (or at least have the SSID of the local WiFi not transmit so it isn't viewable by anyone who walks by my car).

For example, when I come home I want it to automatically connect to my home WiFi (aka "cloud") but when I'm sitting in a random parking lot the "local" Wifi from the camera can be seen by any passer by. I know it is password protected but I don't want it to even transmit in the first place.

From what I can tell you either turn BOTH on or BOTH off (all or nothing)... :-(

Sorry if this has been asked but is it possible to turn the cloud WiFi on and the local WiFi off (or at least have the SSID of the local WiFi not transmit so it isn't viewable by anyone who walks by my car).

For example, when I come home I want it to automatically connect to my home WiFi (aka "cloud") but when I'm sitting in a random parking lot the "local" Wifi from the camera can be seen by any passer by. I know it is password protected but I don't want it to even transmit in the first place.

From what I can tell you either turn BOTH on or BOTH off (all or nothing)... :-(

If you are talking about having this happen automatically, I believe it is not possible. For me, I turn off the WiFi (using the button) when I am in a public place and I don't need to access the unit.

Any chance you could post the config file from the SD card? if I know what settings it puts in there for that, I should be able to manually set mine to do that too even though I don't have a desktop app that will make those changes.

@green1 here are the current config.ini and version.bin files from my dashcam. I deleted the SSIDs and password entries but otherwise the files are intact. I appended ".txt" extension to the files so that I could use the forum's upload button to attach them

I believe the relevant entries relating to my earlier post are
VideoQuality=0 -- this seems to set the 8.44Mbps bitrate for the front cam / 3.20Mbps rear
NormalRecordTime=3 -- sets 3min clips for normal mode
EventRecordTime=1 -- sets 1min clips for parking and event mode

I have an old copy of files from SD card when I first got the dashcam and I found those video files were recorded at 6.35Mbps(front)/2.15Mbps(rear). So I looked at the corresponding copy of the config.ini file and found VideoQuality=2, I think that's the only difference. Note I am running v2.003 firmware on the dashcam, not sure if that makes a difference.

hope this helps, let me know if you can replicate the results by manually editing your config file.

Attachments

• config.ini.txt
    872 bytes · Views: 69
  • version.bin.txt
    188 bytes · Views: 52