Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue 650 2 ch cloud questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are talking about having this happen automatically, I believe it is not possible. For me, I turn off the WiFi (using the button) when I am in a public place and I don't need to access the unit.

That is unfortunate. For me, a Dash Cam is only truly useful if it is a "set it and forget it" thing. Having to press the WiFi button whenever I want to turn that function off but pressing it again so it connects to my home WiFi defeats (some of) the purpose. Oh well... not the end of the world. Still a great Dash Cam overall and maybe they will add this in a future software / firmware update.

I sure am glad the OP posted this. I was seriously considering buying this product but I had thought I could monitor my car while it was parked away from home. Now that I know you can't unless you are in relative close proximity I know it's not for me. Perhaps the next iteration will do this.

It CAN do this, but you need another device. A hotspot, a phone acting as a hotspot, etc.

I installed the gps repeater ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D3BGKLQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) yesterday. It's working well. Locks on a gps signal about 2 minutes after exiting my underground parking garage.

I placed the "external" antenna on the floor of the trunk area, where it has a view of the sky through the rear liftgate window, held in place by the front of the footwell cover (no third row seats in my car), then routed the cable to the front, tucking it under mouldings, rear floor mat, etc. under the front passenger seat. I tucked the internal antenna under the front passenger seat. It's powered by the cig lighter outlet, so only powered when the car is on.

• Informative
Reactions: wolfson292
@green1 here are the current config.ini and version.bin files from my dashcam. I deleted the SSIDs and password entries but otherwise the files are intact. I appended ".txt" extension to the files so that I could use the forum's upload button to attach them

I believe the relevant entries relating to my earlier post are
VideoQuality=0 -- this seems to set the 8.44Mbps bitrate for the front cam / 3.20Mbps rear
NormalRecordTime=3 -- sets 3min clips for normal mode
EventRecordTime=1 -- sets 1min clips for parking and event mode

I have an old copy of files from SD card when I first got the dashcam and I found those video files were recorded at 6.35Mbps(front)/2.15Mbps(rear). So I looked at the corresponding copy of the config.ini file and found VideoQuality=2, I think that's the only difference. Note I am running v2.003 firmware on the dashcam, not sure if that makes a difference.

hope this helps, let me know if you can replicate the results by manually editing your config file.
Thanks! that's exactly what I was looking for, I'll play with mine when I have a moment!

just to followup my own report of problems earlier in this thread.... today I finally solved my cloud connection.
Blackvue customer support was basically useless - and extremely slow to respond on top of that. But I stumbled upon the answer on my own and thought I'd post the info here in case it's of use to someone in future.

IGNORE the rest of this post if you're NOT using a hotspot/router with MAC address filtering, or trying to connect to an open wifi hotspot that does so (like some ISPs have with their free hotspots around town e.g. as described in this article)

My problem connecting the dashcam in cloud mode to my home router was due to the fact that I have MAC address filtering enabled on the router (which I knew at the start) but more importantly, the dashcam has 2 different MAC addresses, one for direct connection to smartphone and different one for the cloud connection. And it's not at all obvious what the cloud wifi's MAC address is.

to make things more confusing, the documation is really bad - 1) firstly it says the dashcam's MAC address can be found in the default SSID name, but that only gives you the last 3 hex digits (a proper MAC address contains 6 hex digits,) for example let's say the dashcam came with default SSID: DR650GW-50A060. Well it's true that the MAC address for the direct connection is xx:yy:zz:50:A0:60 but you're still missing the first 3 hex digits! but I used some wifi network scanning app to figure out those digits. 2) there's no mention anywhere that the cloud interface has a different address, although early on I suspected this might be my problem.

For all other devices with multiple wifi interfaces, they usually have addresses separated by +1, so in my example above, if direct connection wifi is xx:yy:zz:50:A0:60, the logical choice for address for the 2nd interface would be xx:yy:zz:50:A0:61. I set up my router for this,, as well as ...:60 and :59 just to be safe - but still no dice.

Well it turns out that the cloud wifi interface's address was this: xx:yy:zz:40:A0:60 - the digit that differed from the other interface wasn't the one I expected. And as I said, there's no clue in the documentation nor did customer support give any sort of hint

Anyhow I now have cloud successfully connecting. My intended use is only when I arrive home and park in my garage, then I can access the dashcam via the cloud from anywhere in my house, instead of having to try to connect by the one window where the signal is strongest (it's a detached garage).

I was really hoping your post would solve my Blackvue problem that is the same voice error message that you received about reaching the wireless access point limit. But I'm not using MAC filtering on my wifi access points. The Blackvue connected fine to my access point when pulling into my garage for the first few days. I would receive the pushed message from the cloud saying when it connected and disconnected when I drove away. But then it started with the voice error message that you received. Turning the Blacvue off and back on made it connect to my access point and the cloud just fine, but only for one time. Now I have to either turn the Blackvue wifi off and then back on, or power cycle the Blackvue for it to connect to my wifi access point when I pull into the garage. So in my case MAC filtering is not causing this problem.

I was really hoping your post would solve my Blackvue problem that is the same voice error message that you received about reaching the wireless access point limit. But I'm not using MAC filtering on my wifi access points. The Blackvue connected fine to my access point when pulling into my garage for the first few days. I would receive the pushed message from the cloud saying when it connected and disconnected when I drove away. But then it started with the voice error message that you received. Turning the Blacvue off and back on made it connect to my access point and the cloud just fine, but only for one time. Now I have to either turn the Blackvue wifi off and then back on, or power cycle the Blackvue for it to connect to my wifi access point when I pull into the garage. So in my case MAC filtering is not causing this problem.
sorry to hear you're having this problem. one other thought, not sure if it will have any significance but... what version firmware are you using in your Blackvue?

when I posted my info earlier above, I believe I was running v2.002 and later 2.003 when I stumbled upon the 2nd MAC address for the cloud wifi. those firmware versions only supported a single wifi hotspot for cloud. However v2.005 firmware was recently released and it now supports connecting up to 3 different wifi hotspots. Firmware Update for BlackVue DR650GW-1CH/2CH (version 2.005) | BlackVue

Of course that spec doesn't directly relate to your problem, but if there's some bug in the cloud access code perhaps it's been fixed in 2.005, and maybe worth a try upgrading if all else fails? I'm running v2.005 now and it seems to work fine.

edit: p.s. speaking of v2.005 firmware, just to follow up some info I mentioned about bitrates earlier in this thread...

v2.005 now officially supports 10Mbps front camera recording at the "Highest" video quality setting (5Mbps rear), instead of previous 8.4Mbps front (3.2Mbps rear). but seems to work reliably only with a suitably fast video card - I saw someone else report that a V30 video speed class rated card works well. my Kingston Class 10 UHS-I 128GB card works fine at 8.4Mbps but recordings stutter when set to 10Mbps. just fyi

Last edited:
Thanks f-stop. The firmware installed is v 2.007 dated 8/26/16. Today I tried reserving a static IP address on my router to see if that would make a difference. Unfortunately it didn't help. The voice error message is nonsensical in my situation because it does connect to my home's router, sometimes. I also tried entering the same login credentials on all 3 tabs on the cloud wifi login settings but that didn't help either. It's nice that 3 wifi hotspot SSIDs can be entered now but I still need to figure out why it will not consistently connect to my one wifi router.

sorry to hear you're having this problem. one other thought, not sure if it will have any significance but... what version firmware are you using in your Blackvue?

when I posted my info earlier above, I believe I was running v2.002 and later 2.003 when I stumbled upon the 2nd MAC address for the cloud wifi. those firmware versions only supported a single wifi hotspot for cloud. However v2.005 firmware was recently released and it now supports connecting up to 3 different wifi hotspots. Firmware Update for BlackVue DR650GW-1CH/2CH (version 2.005) | BlackVue

Of course that spec doesn't directly relate to your problem, but if there's some bug in the cloud access code perhaps it's been fixed in 2.005, and maybe worth a try upgrading if all else fails? I'm running v2.005 now and it seems to work fine.

edit: p.s. speaking of v2.005 firmware, just to follow up some info I mentioned about bitrates earlier in this thread...

v2.005 now officially supports 10Mbps front camera recording at the "Highest" video quality setting (5Mbps rear), instead of previous 8.4Mbps front (3.2Mbps rear). but seems to work reliably only with a suitably fast video card - I saw someone else report that a V30 video speed class rated card works well. my Kingston Class 10 UHS-I 128GB card works fine at 8.4Mbps but recordings stutter when set to 10Mbps. just fyi

Thanks for this detail about the Cloud having its own MAC. Any insights on how I can figure out what the second address is? (I saw the other post where the 7th digit was -1, but my 7th digit is 0.)

Thanks for this detail about the Cloud having its own MAC. Any insights on how I can figure out what the second address is? (I saw the other post where the 7th digit was -1, but my 7th digit is 0.)
@MarkS22, you're welcome.

Here's how I finally stumbled upon the correct 2nd MAC address for the cloud connection: first, I set up my iPhone to run as a wifi hotspot (Personal Hotspot = ON), and I was able to get the Blackvue connected to my iPhone's wifi. I have a free network scanning app on iOS called "Fing" - it lets you scan all the devices connected on the local network and among other things reveals the MAC address for each. If you're not using iOS then there are many network scanning programs you could similarly try on your desktop PC.

So using Fing on my iPad which was also connected to my iPhone's hotspot, I could now see the MAC address for the Blackvue's cloud connection was completely different than what I was expecting. I reconfigured the Blackvuew to connect to my home wifi router again, instead of my iPhone. Then I was able to enter the correct MAC address for cloud connection into my router and have it connect to the Blackvue with MAC filtering turned on.

as I described before, I always suspected that there were 2 separate MAC addresses for direct smartphone connection and cloud connection. However I assumed (incorrectly) that the 2 addresses would only differ by 1 in the last (right-most) digit of the MAC address. Instead as it turns out, the addresses instead differ in the 3rd hex digit from the right. Blackvue could save people frustration by simply documenting these addresses on the package, like most manufacturers do!

Reactions: MarkS22

I used f-stop's post to determine the cloud MAC address by looking at the last two digits of default Blackvue SSID name on my iPhone (near Blackvue with wifi on). Then I logged into my home router and looked at the MAC addresses connected to the router. I looked at the list and there was only one device connected with the same last two MAC address digits. That was it. The last six digits of the MAC address were the same, except for he sixth digit from the end which was one number lower.

I installed the gps repeater ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D3BGKLQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) yesterday. It's working well. Locks on a gps signal about 2 minutes after exiting my underground parking garage.

I placed the "external" antenna on the floor of the trunk area, where it has a view of the sky through the rear liftgate window, held in place by the front of the footwell cover (no third row seats in my car), then routed the cable to the front, tucking it under mouldings, rear floor mat, etc. under the front passenger seat. I tucked the internal antenna under the front passenger seat. It's powered by the cig lighter outlet, so only powered when the car is on.
Just a follow-up note...

The device died after about 40 days in service. I called Amazon and they told me the guarantee/return policy was 30 days, so I was out of luck. So I wrote a negative review on the product's web page and the seller contacted me. He told me it's guaranteed for a year and is sending a replacement. Seems Amazon's customer service has taken a dive from a few years ago.

Just a follow-up note...

The device died after about 40 days in service. I called Amazon and they told me the guarantee/return policy was 30 days, so I was out of luck. So I wrote a negative review on the product's web page and the seller contacted me. He told me it's guaranteed for a year and is sending a replacement. Seems Amazon's customer service has taken a dive from a few years ago.

It's too bad that your Blackvue died so quickly, but it is good that you are getting a replacement. Who was the selling company on Amazon? I bought my Blackvue on Amazon from the seller Blackboxmycar. They are a Canadian based company but they do have a tech support team for the products they sell, even if you bought them through Amazon rather than direct.

But so far I'm not all that thrilled with the performance of the Blackue DR650GW. The GPS locks less than 50 percent of the time, presumably because of the shielding on the MS windshield. But I'm wondering if other dash cams with built in GPS would also have such difficulty as the Blackvue? I also cannot solve the problem that I described previously in this thread where I need to power cycle the Blackvue (or turn wifi off/on) each time I drive the car or it will not reconnect to my home's router when I drive into my garage. I speaks the nonsensicle message "wireless access point device limit reached", when trying to reconnect with my router. Turning the Blackvue off and back on when I'm in my garage makes it reconnect to the router. I only have only one SSID and password listed in the Blackvue Clould settings and it works one time (e.g. Connects), but will not reconnect again without rebooting the Blackvue. So without accurate GPS locking (i.e. Not showing the location of the MS on a map when viewing the recorded video) and not being able to easily use the Cloud features because it won't reconnect to my home's router lower's my opinion of the product a lot.

It's too bad that your Blackvue died so quickly, but it is good that you are getting a replacement. Who was the selling company on Amazon? I bought my Blackvue on Amazon from the seller Blackboxmycar. They are a Canadian based company but they do have a tech support team for the products they sell, even if you bought them through Amazon rather than direct.
I think he's referring to the GPS repeater not the BlackVue.

I also cannot solve the problem that I described previously in this thread where I need toturn wifi off/on each time I drive the car or it will not reconnect to my home's router when I drive into my garage

I've also resorted to this tactic. I just turn it off as soon as I get in the car and turn it back on when I get home. Not terribly inconvenient since it's just a button tap and it's now become second nature. However I do have mine installed pretty high so it's easy to reach.

What bothers me more is how useless the motion detection is in parking mode. Even on sensitivity of 1 it records all the time in public lots.

I have the same issue where I get the voice message "wireless access point device limit reached" which led me to this thread and signed up just to post. If I restart the dashcam once I'm back home it connects. If I turn WiFi off and then back on not restarting the unit it also then connects. Whats frustrating is I cant just get home and it auto connects.

Quite frustrating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Thanks for digging this out for us. It's too bad Blackvue does not just print MAC addresses on the box label. Further, my installer thought the QR code looked ugly and made the camera more visible from outside the cabin so he removed it (thanks) so I had to write Blackvue to get cloud access. Took four days for their reply. When asking for the MAC I finally got a reply but it only included the primary one, not the cloud version so rather than wait another week, I found this post and reduced the sixth digit from the right by one - bingo!
Success.

just to followup my own report of problems earlier in this thread.... today I finally solved my cloud connection.
Blackvue customer support was basically useless - and extremely slow to respond on top of that. But I stumbled upon the answer on my own and thought I'd post the info here in case it's of use to someone in future.

IGNORE the rest of this post if you're NOT using a hotspot/router with MAC address filtering, or trying to connect to an open wifi hotspot that does so (like some ISPs have with their free hotspots around town e.g. as described in this article)

My problem connecting the dashcam in cloud mode to my home router was due to the fact that I have MAC address filtering enabled on the router (which I knew at the start) but more importantly, the dashcam has 2 different MAC addresses, one for direct connection to smartphone and different one for the cloud connection. And it's not at all obvious what the cloud wifi's MAC address is.

to make things more confusing, the documation is really bad - 1) firstly it says the dashcam's MAC address can be found in the default SSID name, but that only gives you the last 3 hex digits (a proper MAC address contains 6 hex digits,) for example let's say the dashcam came with default SSID: DR650GW-50A060. Well it's true that the MAC address for the direct connection is xx:yy:zz:50:A0:60 but you're still missing the first 3 hex digits! but I used some wifi network scanning app to figure out those digits. 2) there's no mention anywhere that the cloud interface has a different address, although early on I suspected this might be my problem.

For all other devices with multiple wifi interfaces, they usually have addresses separated by +1, so in my example above, if direct connection wifi is xx:yy:zz:50:A0:60, the logical choice for address for the 2nd interface would be xx:yy:zz:50:A0:61. I set up my router for this,, as well as ...:60 and :59 just to be safe - but still no dice.

Well it turns out that the cloud wifi interface's address was this: xx:yy:zz:40:A0:60 - the digit that differed from the other interface wasn't the one I expected. And as I said, there's no clue in the documentation nor did customer support give any sort of hint

Anyhow I now have cloud successfully connecting. My intended use is only when I arrive home and park in my garage, then I can access the dashcam via the cloud from anywhere in my house, instead of having to try to connect by the one window where the signal is strongest (it's a detached garage).

Thanks for digging this out for us. It's too bad Blackvue does not just print MAC addresses on the box label. Further, my installer thought the QR code looked ugly and made the camera more visible from outside the cabin so he removed it (thanks) so I had to write Blackvue to get cloud access. Took four days for their reply. When asking for the MAC I finally got a reply but it only included the primary one, not the cloud version so rather than wait another week, I found this post and reduced the sixth digit from the right by one - bingo!
Success.
You're welcome, I'm glad my info was helpful to someone. After I made my discovery about the second MAC address I emailed BlackVue support to suggest they improve their documentation on this point, and they did acknowledge my email (though I too found their response times to be very slow). But I guess my suggestion fell on deaf ears since they weren't so helpful to you either - it seems customer support isn't their strong point. Anyhow glad you were able to get it working in the end