Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue dashcam software requiring sharing of location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
Hope current users of this camera can answer whether Blackvue has made it a requirement to share location information?

I'm asking because we are in the market for a dashcam and the Blackvue DR650S-2ch has been a top consideration. While reviewing comments today on an Amazon listing page for the DR650S-2ch being sold there*, it sounds like the apps for it (new Blackvue app, formerly BlackVue C, or the Blackvue Legacy, formerly old Blackvue app) required sharing location data. The newer version's permission screen that Amazon commentor Striders posted pics of says it "may anonymously share your dash cam's location with other registered users". It states that if you don't agree you won't be able to use the app. The legacy software's permission screen he also posted a pic of shows that version wants to use your current location. His comment post BTW was dated 2/4/16 so I realize things may have changed with updates since then.

BTW according what I found on Blackvue's site today the Blackvue Legacy app will no longer be supported ( The BlackVue Legacy app is no longer supported, what does it mean? ).

So question for current owners who are actually using it: what's the current situation with the software apps' permissions? Don't want to buy it and find out later. Thanks.

*(BlackVue DR650S-2CH 16GB with Power Magic Pro, Car Black Box/Car DVR Recorder, Built-in Wi-Fi, IR, Full HD, G Sensor, GPS, 16GB SD Card Included, Up To 128GB Support (Wireless Phone Accessory)